Why become a member? ×

Just in case you thought you had too much bass gear

Alemboid

[quote name='thumbo' post='15094' date='Jun 10 2007, 02:55 PM']Oh my! He's got more bass gear than the average bass shop.[/quote]

He seems to be a one man support system for the entire amp/cab/custom bass industry. It's fair to assume he's scraping by in his day job as a lawyer.

B

I think Tom is infamous on Talkbass as a complete gear whore. He's got pretty much every desirable valve bass amp that's been made in the last 20 years, reviews gear for Bass Guitar Magazine and has even been endorsing Sadowsky amps.

Not bad for someone whose day job is an attourney, I can only imagine the kind of space he has to store all of that stuff.

[quote name='thumbo' post='15094' date='Jun 10 2007, 02:55 PM']Oh my! He's got more bass gear than the average bass shop.[/quote]

He's got more bass amplification than a very good bass shop!

I remember the days when he only had a few basses - an Thunderbird and a cheapish five, plus an upright - but a ton of EA cabs and a few Bergantino cabs. Then he got out of control! He did thin out the collection a while back but like any well timed pruning it grew again, and faster.

So which of his basses and rigs would you use if you could only have one?

I think I'd have his chambered MTD 5, the Millennia preamp and the Bergantino IP153 cabs. And that would be enough - any more than one bass and rig and I get indecisive!

Alex

I'd probably have his Trace Elliot V8 as I reckon thats the best designed of the valve amps. Don't know anything about those cabs though. I'm so fussy about the value for money that cabs give. I've heard Accugroove and Epifani and been less than impressed. I'm curious about Bergantino - never heard them.

He's a nice approachable chap too! After reading his 'mini cabs shoot out, I droppped him a line to ask about them. I figure one person who has tried practically every cab on the market would have something to say about each! I think his reviews were similar to my own findings.

He had a lot of toys to play with!!!

[quote name='slaphappygarry' post='15271' date='Jun 10 2007, 09:18 PM']That is obsene :)

Would be interesting to hear his playing in a band now.

G[/quote]

I bet you he isn't half the player that the amount of gear he owns suggests! :huh: