Why become a member? ×

Left handers playing right

risingson

I'm a lefty playing righty, but then again I probably do most things right handed apart from writing. I am pretty much ambidexdrous, equally useless no matter how I approach any given task.

Edited by thodrik

Good evening, all...

Just for fun (and because it's darn'd good..!), here's Zawinal playing his famous 'reversed' keyboard for 'Black Market'...

[quote name='Monckyman' post='1308265' date='Jul 18 2011, 08:15 PM']...One thing I still have a problem with is peeling spuds...[/quote]
I'm righty, and I have trouble peeling spuds too (but I like 'm with the skin on, so that's alright...).

[quote name='lanark' post='1307559' date='Jul 18 2011, 10:50 AM']Everyone complaining about the dearth of left-handed models should be hoping on behalf of future generations of left-handed guitarists that rather than making the range slightly larger, they should stop making them completely and then they'd be able to play all those right-handed basses that are available everywhere.

I genuinely suggest that in almost every case the reason that left-handed guitarists play a left-handed guitar is because they were given one first.[/quote]

This is an interesting point. What I will say though, is that when I started out I insisted on getting a left handed instrument. That was my choice, and I think it would be wrong to deny others the same.

[quote name='cycrowave' post='1308684' date='Jul 19 2011, 12:32 AM']This is an interesting point. What I will say though, is that when I started out I insisted on getting a left handed instrument. That was my choice, and I think it would be wrong to deny others the same.[/quote]

True - but it was your choice because you had a choice. Who knows whether you wouldn't have been just a proficient had you chosen to use a right-handed instrument from the get-go.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1308719' date='Jul 19 2011, 01:57 AM']You don't get left handed pianos..[/quote]

Yes you can................

[url="http://lefthandedpiano.co.uk/about.html"]http://lefthandedpiano.co.uk/about.html[/url]

Now..... left handed flutes. There's a problem that cost me an arm and a leg!!!

• 2 months later...

We're just back from Steve Cropper's penultimate gig on this tour. Asked him to sign my vinyl copy of his new album, which gave him a buzz seeing a record version of his album. But he signed it left-handed, I asked him about it & it was the old story of not being able to get left-handed guitars way back when, so he just learnt on a rightie, when left-handed guitars came more available he tried one & couldn't do it. He also said .................. Duck Dunne is the same! :)
He also said that he loved coming to England, because we all use knives & forks correctly & he's able to eat more easily here :) Which he then went on to prove because we all ate dinner together in a nearby hotel :)

Mike Reid is the reason that I play righty when I am left handed.

being a young lad of about 10, playing air guitar with my brother's badminton racket I naturally 'played it' left handed. One Saturday morning when watching Saturday Superstore, Mike, who was a guitarist, had his guitar out and I noticed that he was playing it differently to how I was holding it so I immediately flipped it over.

Roll on my 11th birthday when I was asked what i wanted. The choice was a small acoustic guitar - right handed.

And like the guy with the stiff neck, I've never looked back since.

I also believe Gary Moore was a lefty playing righty as well

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' timestamp='1310903537' post='1306598']
He could be the only person in the world that has it that way! does he know that?
[/quote]

I think the guy from S*M*A*S*H (remember them?) used a left handed bass strung upside down cos he learnt on a right handed and just flipped it over.

I briefly played in a band with a guitarist who did the same thing..... working out what chords he was playing was, er, challenging sometimes!

Actually, just googled them and he plays an upside down P!

Edited by 4-string-thing

• 5 months later...

Well we're having a Lefty Bass Bash in a few weeks, and none of you is invited! :angry:

Except whynot. And yorick. And anybody else who posted on here that actually plays a conventional left handed bass, and will therefore be in a position to play the various Wals, Zons, Seis, Sandbergs, Regenerates, plus a lot of others that I can't remember now.

So there! :on_the_quiet:

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1329863709' post='1548916']
Have a great event [b]lefty[/b] but let go the negative waves man :D
[/quote]

I used to think I had a bit of a talent for humour, but I'm beginning to wonder now. :( Or maybe I just don't know how to use smileys. :search:

Edited by leftybassman392

[quote name='paulypbass' timestamp='1329906216' post='1549300']
i;m left handed but i play left handed basses. never been that bothered with choice of basses as squier do p and j basses as so do fender and thats all i really play.
[/quote]

Well in that case you're invited to the Lefty Bass Bash too. :i-m_so_happy: Check the thread in the 'Events' forum.

[quote name='paulconnolly' timestamp='1329853057' post='1548617']
Hey guys sorry for the thread revival but I saw Lee Pomeroy with Steve Hackett's band last night. A great gig and Mr. P. looked to be enjoying himself immensely especially on the old Genesis tracks. Great sound from the Rick too!
[/quote]

Lee's a real sucker for all that old prog stuff. :) His technique is astonishing - ever seen someone play Mr. Pink (faster than the original) upside down and the wrong way around? :D

What would be interesting would be to discover how many forum members are actually left-handed in their everyday life (whichever way they play their instrument).

Left handed people are right-brain dominant. (Without getting really boring, each half of the brain controls the motor functions on the opposite side of the body. Most people have slight dominance in one half or the other - in simple terms, it's a bit more active on one side.)

The interesting bit is that the right hemisphere is also the part where the artistic/creative functions go on.

In the general population, studies have shown that about 10% are left-handed to some degree. I reckon that we'd find the figure among Basschat members is significantly higher than that.

No way to test it of course as it would involve getting every BC member to respond (I'd be surprised if more than 2% of the current 13,000-odd membership post on anything like a regular basis).

And yes, I do need to get out more. :blink:

Edited by leftybassman392