Why become a member? ×

Marshall bass amps?

SkinnyMike

My guitarist picked up a free catalogue yesterday and i picked it up to have a small browse. I saw there stacks and stacks of guitar amps and to my suprise i saw a few bass ones. (mainly as i NEVER see marshall bass amps...reason why?)

Personally i liked the look of the MBC series but how good are these? i mean are they as reliable as the guitar amps are ment to be and for sound, does anyone know if they can produce the goods? as i might have to look into trying them out and possiably go for them rather than an all markbass stack?

I think a lot of BC members use (or have used) Marshall bass amps, and as far as I know they're quite highly rated sound wise! They are however notoriously heavy and a pain to lug around!

I've never used one myself but I've heard a number of bassists play through them with great results every time.

Hope this helps :)

I have a vba 400 valve amp and the vbc 4X12 cab.

best- warmest sound I have ever had- loud- the amp is not too bad weight wise- the cab is a little on the heavy side- as I only do one- 2 gigs per month that is OK. Any more and I think this would be a little too much.

I use warwick and jazz basses and this amp can do it all. The eq is not as flexible as others I`v tried but to amplify the sound of a good bass I am delighted and cannot think of anything better.

[quote name='thumperbob 2002' post='150139' date='Mar 3 2008, 07:44 AM']The eq is not as flexible as others I`v tried but to amplify the sound of a good bass I am delighted and cannot think of anything better.[/quote]

That's it. I've got a JCM800 Bass Series. It sounds just like a JCM800 Bass Series!

Like any amp - it amplifies the sound of the bass - but it does add a good bit of rock and blues for you. Excellent thick distortion - and back to clean thump & honk.

I get more variance in tone from adjusting the tone pots on my j/p than I do with the eq - I tend to just use to the eq to find the space in the mix I can hear myself the best in the room.

In short - they're inflexible. But that's perfect if you want what they sound like anyway.

Mine is heavy - you want to walk the shortest distance with it. Park outside etc. 400m is toooo far.

[quote name='bigjohn' post='150220' date='Mar 3 2008, 11:05 AM']That's it. I've got a JCM800 Bass Series. It sounds just like a JCM800 Bass Series!

Like any amp - it amplifies the sound of the bass - but it does add a good bit of rock and blues for you. Excellent thick distortion - and back to clean thump & honk.[/quote]

Awsome, i can't wait to try them out!

Thanks for the replys so far guys, this has helped quite a lot. Im going to have a look at a shop down in Clapham which sells these bad boys. If all goes well and they sound as good as they have been rated, out will come the wallet!

Edited by the_house123