Why become a member? ×

Speaker Cable

BMoney

Hey

Just got my new (used) Head/Cab Combo (Mesa/Boogie 400+ with Mesa Boogie 4 x 10 cab) but like a pleb left the speaker cable (head to cab cable) behind, now iv never actually bought a speaker cable before but i seem to remember you shouldn't use a instrument cable. After searching around for a bit iv found a few options online but all are fairly long 2m+ where i really only want one around .5m long, they also vary in price hugely, is it worth spending 60 quid on a cable or am i better of getting a cheapy cable?

Just asking for some opinions/discussion on the subject really.

If people could provide links to online shops where i can get the cables would also be appreciated.

Edited by BMoney

WOW, seems a fairly universal response, looks like he has an immense amount of respect round these parts, more than good enough for me.
I've Sent off my e-mail ordering a number of a cables, thanks for the advice guys, i appreciate it.

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='149764' date='Mar 2 2008, 11:51 AM']But what does OBBM stand for or mean? 'Overlord Bass Bash Merchant' is my guess :)[/quote]

You've never heard the story?

[quote name='silverfoxnik' post='149773' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:06 PM']No????

Sorry for going off topic but this is good....[/quote]

It's rather mundane really Nik. At the time I joined Bassworld in early 2003 I was playing for a band called Old Blue Moses so I decided my moniker should be Oldbluebassman. This quickly got abbreviated as usual to OBBM by the forum members and when the opportunity arose to re-register after a server crash I elected to be OBBM. I left that band at the end of 2005 having complained about being short-changed by £10 for a gig and being publicly fired by the band's singer. The name stuck.

The story went about saying the band needed 2 vans to go to gigs. One for the kit and the other for the egos.

There you are, very boring. Perhaps we should start a new thread about band firings. :)

[quote name='obbm' post='149779' date='Mar 2 2008, 12:20 PM']It's rather mundane really Nik. At the time I joined Bassworld in early 2003 I was playing for a band called Old Blue Moses so I decided my moniker should be Oldbluebassman. This quickly got abbreviated as usual to OBBM by the forum members and when the opportunity arose to re-register after a server crash I elected to be OBBM. I left that band at the end of 2005 having complained about being short-changed by £10 for a gig and being publicly fired by the band's singer. The name stuck.

The story went about saying the band needed 2 vans to go to gigs. One for the kit and the other for the egos.

There you are, very boring. Perhaps we should start a new thread about band firings. :)[/quote]
And there was me thinking it was linked to your wild tales of BBC excess but in fact, it's all about your wild experiences of rock 'n' roll excess!! :huh:

A 'Spinal Tap-esque' band firings thread would be good...

[quote name='Bill Fitzmaurice' post='150797' date='Mar 4 2008, 03:56 AM']This interesting tidbit came my way today:
[url="http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hangers-sound-as-good-monster-cables"]http://consumerist.com/362926/do-coat-hang...-monster-cables[/url][/quote]
I bought a new CD player and found it too bright for the rest of my system. The shop advised me to use solid-cored mains cable (1 sq mm) to link it to the preamp. It did sound less bright, but did not fix it for me, so I had to exchange the CD player instead.

I have also 'upgraded' from Maplins thickest white figure-of eight speaker cable to their transparent figure-of-eight speaker cable, and found the speakers sufficiently brighter that I found them tiring to listen to. I am back on the original cables now.

YMMV