Why become a member? ×

LINE6 Relay G30 - Test / Review

This is a new wireless system by LINE6 and it's supposed to be an improvement over the Radio VHF signal transmission wireless made so far, this new system is a 24-bit digital conversion system, and more advanced than bluetooth. It is simple to set up and install and there are 6 channels and 3 Cable Tone simulation modes, 1) 15" Cable 2) 30" Cable and 3) Off or direct. Here are the full specs:

[url="http://uk.line6.com/relay/compare.html"]http://uk.line6.com/relay/compare.html[/url]

Manual: [url="http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a0600721fb84af0de654b0ef/application/pdf/Relay%20G30%20Pilot's%20Guide%20(Rev%20I)%20-%20English.pdf"]http://l6c.scdn.line6.net/data/l/0a0600721...-%20English.pdf[/url]

First thing I have noticed from unpacking it is how light the receiver is and easy to connect. It won't weigh down your strap and once is on you'll never notice it's there, ahh the freedom effect is great to experience for once, no more cable to tread on and to keep kicking with your feet both at home or gigging. Ok, that's all well and good, but how does it really sound like?

Well it is very very transparent as one would expect, I have swapped back and forward from cable to wireless a good 20 times on and off, on and off cause I am very hard to convince and yeah, blast me, it works very well, no complaints, the wireless sound just as the cable does with no audible unpleasantness so far. However I have only tried it in the store and here at home and if you move too far out of range, it will start to fart but this happened when my amp was downstairs in the living room and I was upstairs in the bedroom at the other end of the house, or... all the way at the bottom of my garden which is 120" long, my mate said it started to fart when I went past the 100" mark and we measured it, and funny enough if you read the specs it does say 100 foot is the max range on this G30 model so on that they are spot on.

Anyway playing it in the same room as the amp / receiver, I can't fault it for either noise nor loss of signal compared to the cable, so I have to admit this new digital system really works well. I'll give it a week to express my final result and to see if the battery wear makes much different to the signal over time and of course how long does the 2 AA last because it doesn't say anywhere on the manual. Oh no that would have been to easy for LINE 6 to share that information, so that is one I'll have to find out for myself.

Here are the unpacking pics:

Here is me just getting ready to test it in the store today (I haven't plugged it in yet I was tuning the bass then), can you guess in which store in London I am, it's a new store only opened 3 weeks ago.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

I'm pretty confident you won't be disappointed in the long run.

I've used the G30 since it first came out and have converted both guitarists in my band along the way - none of us have ever had a problem with it as a system, even with three of them in use together. You have to get used to the very slight time-lag if you go walkabout off stage like I do, but it doesn't take long to compensate.

A pair of decent alkaline AAs tend to last about 6 to 8 hours of constant use depending on brand; have to admit I thought that was either in the manual or the advertising somewhere, but it's true nonetheless. In terms of battery drain over time, the signal stays true until it cuts out from what we've seen.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1299395' date='Jul 10 2011, 10:52 PM']Hi. Good to see you're enjoying it! Didn't know you were on here, you should have mentioned :)

-Alex
GuitarGuitar Epsom[/quote]

Ah see? small world... you shouldn't have given up the secret and let people guess which store I was. . spoil sport. So which one are you, the one with the big rings through your ear or are you the the strawberry blonde geezer? Or are you Abby the lass?

Very nice store by the way, guys and dolls, go check it out, plenty basses, gear, amps, gizmo's and the store is huge and well laid out. oh and the drummers are confined to a remote area you can just about smell them if you walk past them, so you're safe!

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1299426' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:16 PM']I'm pretty confident you won't be disappointed in the long run.

I've used the G30 since it first came out and have converted both guitarists in my band along the way - none of us have ever had a problem with it as a system, even with three of them in use together. You have to get used to the very slight time-lag if you go walkabout off stage like I do, but it doesn't take long to compensate.

A pair of decent alkaline AAs tend to last about 6 to 8 hours of constant use depending on brand; have to admit I thought that was either in the manual or the advertising somewhere, but it's true nonetheless. In terms of battery drain over time, the signal stays true until it cuts out from what we've seen.[/quote]

Thank you, useful to know!

[quote name='Hamster' post='1299435' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:24 PM']I agree these are pretty good. The only thing I don't like is the crappy little plastic latch on the transmitter battery box which is really hard to close with most makes of AA batteries inserted.[/quote]

I was worried about that at first, but it seemed to get easier to operate when a few sets had gone through and it'd been worn in. I admit, I don't know if that's due to flattening the springs a bit, taking the edge off the polycarbonate, or just a peculiarity of my particular belt-pack. One of our guitarists is about as ham-fisted as it gets, and he's not managed to break it... yet.. :)

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1299426' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:16 PM']You have to get used to the very slight time-lag if you go walkabout off stage like I do, but it doesn't take long to compensate.[/quote]
And just to clarify, that time lag is down to time it takes the sound to travel from the stage to your ears. Wireless systems transmit at the speed of light, literally!

Edited by Bankai

[quote name='Bankai' post='1299450' date='Jul 10 2011, 11:42 PM']And just to clarify, that time lag is down to time it takes the sound to travel from the stage to your ears. Wireless systems transmit at the speed of light, literally![/quote]

Well... yes and no... Line6's own Don Boomer states that the G30 adds "just less than 4ms or about 4 feet" to the latency / perceived distance "while the computer grinds numbers". But I completely agree, what you're hearing is mostly the difference in distance between the amp and your ears :)

I also have the relay G30, this thing is 100% transparent, and as stated earlier it might get tricky when you go too far, at 30m from your amp the sound takes 100ms to travel

About effects, I use an MXR Blowtorch, M80 DI/Distortion, boss chorus and cry baby bass and it just works perfectly. The receiver is an integrated part of my pedalboard and is even powered by the same power source as all my other pedals

[quote name='woodyratm' post='1299873' date='Jul 11 2011, 01:29 PM']How do these systems work with fx?

Eg i have a deep impact, mastatron and mammoth and im not sure if these would behave with wireless. I used to have a samson one but found it was abit pointless at the time.[/quote]

You put them in between the receiver output and the amp input or better still through the effects loop.

I use the G30 too. I have it on my pedalboard going into an Akai Unibass, AB-Y (for the Unibass), vintage fuzz clone, wah...no problems with effects.

I use the G30 in rehearsals for peace of mind (dodgy electrics). I have also gigged it. No problems at all.

I have been using one for about 18 months now, and still very happy with it.

Battery life is pretty good I think, and the indicators will warn you well in advance.

I buy Duracells in Costco, packs of 36 for around £10. I don't want to risk it with some only slightly cheaper battery with unknown performance, or rechargeables.

The only thing that I don't feel sure about is the clip. It's attached by a couple of flimsy looking plastic tabs. I don't use it. I bought a leather Levy's transmitter holder and that's what I use.

Edited by mcnach

[quote name='mcnach' post='1301600' date='Jul 12 2011, 09:08 PM']The only thing that I don't feel sure about is the clip. It's attached by a couple of flimsy looking plastic tabs. I don't use it. I bought a leather Levy's transmitter holder and that's what I use.[/quote]

Just for the record, I've always used the clip to attach the TX unit to my strap and have had no problems with it. I think that being polycarbonate, even flimsy looking tabs are quite strong.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1301907' date='Jul 13 2011, 08:31 AM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Levys-MM4-Wireless-Transmitter-Holder/dp/B002OEF3ZW"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Levys-MM4-Wireless...r/dp/B002OEF3ZW[/url]

£14!!![/quote]

Cool but not really functional for me, because of the way you have to thread the strap through it, it won't be easy to quickly transfer from bass to bass and I won't be buying 8 of them :) I need something that has a hefty velcro strap that I can wrap around the strap from bass to bass, I am sure I'll find something from the photographic field like one of those external battery neoprene pouches that photograhers have on their belts or something along those lines.

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1302071' date='Jul 13 2011, 10:54 AM']I have my receiver on my belt. That £14 strap thing would be cool, but I don't have a problem with the clip.[/quote]

Well, depending on the strap's thickness it can be an issue, the receiver keeps sliding down and won't stay in place, I am clipping it to my trousuers back pocket at the mo'

[quote name='JimBobTTD' post='1301907' date='Jul 13 2011, 08:31 AM'][url="http://www.amazon.co.uk/Levys-MM4-Wireless-Transmitter-Holder/dp/B002OEF3ZW"]http://www.amazon.co.uk/Levys-MM4-Wireless...r/dp/B002OEF3ZW[/url]

£14!!![/quote]
Pro tip. Get one of the above and then get a sweatband as well. Slide the sweatband on to the end of your strap and then up so it covers the transmitter and holder. Job done.

[quote name='Bankai' post='1303675' date='Jul 14 2011, 05:04 PM']Pro tip. Get one of the above and then get a sweatband as well. Slide the sweatband on to the end of your strap and then up so it covers the transmitter and holder. Job done.[/quote]

Why?

Anyway, like I said, I just clip it on my belt. I feel more comfortable having it on my body rather than on my strap.