Why become a member? ×

Bergantino IP112 + other Top Gear

Flanker

I was the lucky sod who eventually could resist jockes reducing prices no longer and this week received his Berg IP112.

I've had a few goes on it and very much like what I hear. I used my LittleMark II as a pre and then decided to try the Aguilar DB750 pre as well. On its own it is very impressive as a 112 cab but pairing it with a Berg HS210 cab made a huge difference as might be expected.

The Berg cabs are very transparent and punchy and the whole rig has a fantastic portability to oomff ratio, especially if you are using a small pre like the summit for example. I played my eighties Precision through it and it sounded very full with both the MB and Aggie pre - very nice. The FBass also sounded great - better than the Markbass/Berg mini stack rig (without the IP) IMO.

I then brought out my recently returned Epi 212 NYC (Cheers Homie!)and played it with the Markbass and the Aguilar heads.What a cab!! F'ing heavy ....but...Quite a revelation I must say because with the LMII it sounds absolutely fantastic using the FBass - there's not enough difference in tone between it and the Aggie to justify the weight/price using this combination although the DB750/Epi212 combination is really crushing at volume.

I was thinking of getting rid of the DB750 until I played the Precision through it and there's no comparison really - it kicks the LMII into touch with the precision -(both with Epi cab).Much fuller sound with the Aggie/Precision combo.

So there we are! To sum up.........I love it all - amazing gear.

The Epi212 NYC is a brute in every respect and I hardly gig at the moment so I look forward to using it in anger when I do.
What is very clear is that you really need to match every part of your setup because it will definitely NOT sound the same using different heads/cabs/basses etc. I had been a bit underwhelmed by the MarkBass head with my FBass and Berg cabs but with the Epi 212 it is amazing! The Berg IP112 is a superb bit of kit and if you're looking for top of the range try the IP310 but you'd better be a damn clean player because it's the cleanest reproduction of your sound that you can get.

[quote name='Flanker' post='149477' date='Mar 1 2008, 03:23 PM']The Berg cabs are very transparent and punchy.... played my eighties Precision through it and it sounded very full with both the MB and Aggie pre - very nice....[/quote]
Hi, I've read some reviews of the Bergantino cabs where they are described as being bass-lite, which I read as not having enough low bass frequencies. What do you think about the bass response of your 2x10 and the 1x12? Which cab has the better bass/low mid response; the Bergantino or the Epifani? Cheers.

Hi Chris

I would never call the Bergs 'lite' on anything but my Epi410UL was a very deep cab. The IP112 is a very deep little cab too and a great match with the Berg 210, very full sounding and never bass lite.

I haven't gigged the 212NYC or the Bergs but I would try them all if at all possible before making a decision.As I said in my OP they appear to vary in sound quite a bit with different basses and amps.

If you are anywhere near Coventry you should call Mark at BassDirect, he will let you try different cabs until your head explodes!

Also like to add that in my opinion the Summit preamp really adds to the warmth and overall tone of your instrument when used in conjunction with the IP112. The rest of my band (even the drummer) have all commented on the sound and how its still full and bassy but without the usual boominess that often eminates from bass cabs. Ok, so the drummer only said 'wicked man' but you get the point :-)

Steve