Why become a member? ×

Status Hotwire Flatwound Strings

lee4

I decided to change to flats as the music I play(rock,ska,funk,soul)needs IMHO a more fundemental tone.
I trawelled the net finding out about flatwounds and was in equal measures confused by the choice and staggered at the prices.
So,being a cheapskate,I bought the Status strings.
1.Price.
Including postage they cost £20.59!A snip compared to Rotos and Daddario sets.
2.Sounds.
I have rarely used flatwounds so I do not have a reference point,but to me they have(obviously)less sustain and overtones.
I fitted them on my active Status Groove and so far I have been able to get a 'thump' up to a warm growl.I've only played through my old
25 watt practice amp so far.
3.Feel.
No fret noise and smooth slides,absolute bliss!There seems to be a touch more tension in them despite the guage(40-60-80-100)being the same
as the Elite rounds that I usually fit.I have had to tweek the truss rod a little and play with the intonation as well.

Tommorow(Thursday)I will give them a blast at a full volume rehearsal and see how the perform.

P.S,
Status will do roundwound sets in custom guages for under £20!

Edited by lee4

Well,through my rig at rehearsal volume the results were great.I played funk and reggae/ska stuff and these strings were ideal.
For some players the lack of sustain will be an issue as will the abscense of sparkling highs,but if you need those you would never consider flats.
I found that I had to reduce the level of low mid on my amp but this did'nt seem to make these strings sound in any way thin.I was still able to hear myself in the mix unless
everyone was trying to 'rock out' at the same time.
Hand position seems to have a greater effect on these strings compared to rounds,with the best sound found where a P pup would be.Played at the bridge they gave a great 'bark'that worked well in funk numbers.
All in all these strings tick(so far)all the right boxes for me.

[quote name='captain black' post='1298033' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:36 AM']Anyone got experience of the roundwounds?[/quote]

Yeah I've been using them for a number of years.... I really love Status Hotwires and wouldn't consider anything else at present. Plus if you purchase in Bulk (6 sets) you save even more money!!

[quote name='crez5150' post='1298056' date='Jul 9 2011, 10:58 AM']Yeah I've been using them for a number of years.... I really love Status Hotwires and wouldn't consider anything else at present. Plus if you purchase in Bulk (6 sets) you save even more money!![/quote]

+1

Excellent strings and very reasonably priced.

Not surprisingly they sound absolutely great on graphite necks, but I put a set (for example) onto my Alleva Coppolo KBP5 and they improved even as good a bass as that.

I have done 2 recording sessions this week with these strings.Add chorus and it does a passable take on a fretless(played on an acoustic track)and can sound fat but still with good note definition(on a rock number).

I use Hotwire hexcores roundwounds on my headless basses and a custom set of premium roundcore roundwounds (110 85 60 40) on my precision.

I've tried lots of different strings over the years, but the Hotwires do it for me...

Superb service!

• 4 weeks later...

[quote name='Rumple' post='1339616' date='Aug 14 2011, 02:03 PM']Anyone tried the half wounds? I've been tempted to give them a try for a while now.[/quote]

Yes. To me they just felt like light flatwounds, but not as good as flats. IMO they are not a half way house between flats and rounds but more like 90% flats in sound and feel. In the end I prefer a good set of flats which I think the Hotwire flats are.

They were smooth though after only a few days, not rough like some people say halfs are.

• 10 years later...