Why become a member? ×

Fender - New 70s Precision

wateroftyne

[quote name='fender73' post='1294744' date='Jul 6 2011, 01:58 PM']Nice - i like both colours - Have they made them specially heavy too? :)[/quote]
I don't think they can still get the same kind of ash that was used on my '81 precision, so I expect the bodies for these will be made from concrete with blocks of lead to make up the weight.

Nothing like my late 70's P

The sunburst on my is more of the yellow kind this looks more like a vintage sunburst, or tobbaco sunburst.
No blocks in mine either, can't ever remember seeing that.

I could be completely wrong though

DEC

Edited by Dec

[quote name='Dec' post='1294787' date='Jul 6 2011, 02:44 PM']Nothing like my late 70's P
the sunburst on my is more of the yellow kin this looks more like a vintage sunburst, or tobbaco sunburst.
no blocks in mine either, can't ever remember seeing that on P-BASS.

I could be completely wong though

DEc[/quote]
There never were block on a P. This is Fender mixing it up a bit, in their own way.

FWIW, the red is the first colour to fade, so there's a chance your 'burst looked like this when it was new.

Given that (many) Fender parts are readily interchangeable, I'm surprised they don't have an ordering hotline a bit like a Chinese take-away. Give 'em a call, pick what you like off of the menu, and it's despatched a fortnight later. Why so long? They've got to rout the body for your choice of pick-up/s and allow time for the paint/lacquer to dry.

Otherwise, sell kits for user assembly (works with bicycles, and for IKEA) or allow dealers to hold spares enough to build instruments on site. Ooooh!

Think of the options!

Tuners- Elephant Ears, Lollipops, Reverse or non-reverse geared, Klusons, Fenders, Lightweights, D-Tuners, Black/Gold/Chrome/Nickel/Relic

Necks- One piece maple, choice of truss-rod adjustment (neck, body and "vintage") Dots, Blocks or blank. Bound. Unbound. Skunk stripe or none. Maple, Rosewood, Pau Ferro, Phenolic or Ebony boards in fretted or fretless (coated as necessary) All in P or J widths and C,D and soft V shapes. Matching ot non-matching headstock. Slim or standard headstock shapes. Tusq, Nylon or brass nuts

Bridges- BBOT, BadassII, HMVintage, choice of through-body or top-load, in Black/Gold/Chrome/Relic.

Bodies- Ash/Alder. Choose a colour, trans, burst, natural or metallic finish. P,J or Tele

Pick-ups- 51p single coils, J, P, P/J, Bigblock, P/P, JJ/JJ, Tele HB.

Controls/plates- Classic J, Tele and P options, plus Stacked pot J.

Just working that lot out (disregarding colours) gives over 5000 combinations.
All of which would be identifiable to most of us as having some degree of Fender heritage... Let them keep going. There has to be a combination in there for most people. Even if it's just a specific combination of hitherto unavailable features or colour combinations.

I for one love the white Precision - I have a view to maybe investing in one soon to match my Jazz which has exactly the same colour combination (bar a tort guard which I think would make it look even better!)

I really like these!

[quote name='charic' post='1294374' date='Jul 6 2011, 09:45 AM']I seem to be in the minority here that actually disagrees with this :)[/quote]

I'm with you! That white one's on the shopping list :)

...didn't Ibanez do P basses with block inlays during the lawsuit era ?!!! (When Fender didn't ?!!)

[url="http://www.kosakuworld.com/gdir/bass.html"]http://www.kosakuworld.com/gdir/bass.html[/url]

Edited by mxm

I like 'em - if the build quality/feel/sound is comparable to the other MIM Classic series then this should be a cracking bass.

The maple/black inlays is rather striking to me - nice to see they went with a Precision neck as a Jazz neck just feels wrong on a P-bass to me. True, it's an anachronism with the blocks, but if they'd just released a 70s period-accurate P, folks would probably complain that it added nothing new. (I suppose having something 'new' defeats the purpose of a 'Classic' series!)

When I heard that Fender were adding a 70s model to the Classic line, I was sort of expecting a natural/maple neck combination (similar to the Squier VM Amber Precision).

Edited by Green Alsatian

IMO, Fender don't try hard enough to give us more basses with a maple neck and white binding and pearl block inlays!

Unlike the maple neck black binding/blocks, where you can have a Squier VM, one of these P basses, a Geddy Lee sig etc.

Or the rosewood neck with white binding/pearl inlays on the Classic 70s MIM Jazzes or MIJ RIs.

With maple neck and white binding/pearl inlays, it's either the Squier '77 VM Jazz or the Marcus Miller Jazz (which, IMO, is too modern in the aesthetics of the body/scratchplate/controls etc to capture the "classic" feel of the neck!)

SORT IT AAAAAAAAAAAAT FENDER, YOU SHLAAAAAAGS!

I love blocks and really want a 3TSB/maple P but i hate the look of black blocks on maple.
Considering these have vintage frets they are that close to being the perfect P for me.

Fender give with one hand and take away with the other :-(

Still, if the price is right i might be tempted. At least they put a black PG on it.

Other than the blocks this is just like a more expensive Matt Freeman Squier.

Edited by dave_bass5