Why become a member? ×

Ebay and 8x10's

ashevans09

Probably because of the sheer size of them, and the fact that they can't be sent via the post or couriers cheaply. It'd have to be a local bidder who could collect, and, even then, 8x10"s don't fit easily in most cars!

What kind of 8x10" are you selling?

The 'average' bassist carrying his gear in a car is not going to go for an 8x10 and if you are lucky enough to have a deal or be touring big time then buying off eBay isn't going to be top priority!

Obviously with the move to Neo and lightweight gear this means that if you are able to transport a monolith, then bargains are to be had compared to a few years back.

Not good news if you are selling :)

[quote name='Muppet' post='14959' date='Jun 10 2007, 10:14 AM']Probably because in most cases an 8x10 is over the top and there are so many quality lightweight portable cabs around which makes them sort of redundant.[/quote]

In no way is the 8 (or 6) x 10 redundant. Oh no siree.

There is a very real, and very important need for them in the world. Almost as important as Doctors, and Dentists.

[quote name='NJW' post='15458' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:17 AM']In no way is the 8 (or 6) x 10 redundant. Oh no siree.

There is a very real, and very important need for them in the world. Almost as important as Doctors, and Dentists.[/quote]

lol - you forgot Audiologists! - eh? - pardon?

[quote name='NJW' post='15458' date='Jun 11 2007, 10:17 AM']In no way is the 8 (or 6) x 10 redundant. Oh no siree.

There is a very real, and very important need for them in the world. Almost as important as Doctors, and Dentists.[/quote]

Which is?

The only time you see them nowadays is with touring bands who have roadies to do the work. As Warwickhunt says, most bassplayers who are responsible for carrying their own gear simply aren't interested.

And I say that as someone who gigs regularly with an Ampeg 610HLF...

[quote name='Muppet' post='15595' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:08 PM']Which is?

The only time you see them nowadays is with touring bands who have roadies to do the work. As Warwickhunt says, most bassplayers who are responsible for carrying their own gear simply aren't interested.

And I say that as someone who gigs regularly with an Ampeg 610HLF...[/quote]

The very important 'need' is that bassists who can't play bass very well need to be playing through a cab like an 8x10, because regardless of what they play it LOOKS impressive.

As I said... very important! :)

Anyway, I gig with a 610HLF also, and know many who use 8x10s without issue! They arent THAT heavy... you just need to know how to lift things properly!

[quote name='NJW' post='15613' date='Jun 11 2007, 02:33 PM']The very important 'need' is that bassists who can't play bass very well need to be playing through a cab like an 8x10, because regardless of what they play it LOOKS impressive.[/quote]

Is that why Nicky Wire plays with 4 8x10s laid sideways....?

[quote name='NJW' post='16706' date='Jun 13 2007, 10:02 AM']back (slightly) on topic - as bill fitz said somewhere recently... Theres no replacement for displacement! This thread has given me GAS for the impracticality of an 8x10 again![/quote]

Well if you want one you know who to come to :)

I posted [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1635"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=1635[/url] in the technical forum which tells my view on how things should be lifted. It's not meant to be patronising as it may look, just useful. I genuinely have never broken a sweat carrying an 8x10 with 2 people. It's my guitarists 2x12 that kills me!

I think at the end of the day, it's a case of 'each to their own'. Personally, I'm happy with my Eden 2x12 combo that I can carry around with one hand and I'd only ever get something like an 8x10 if I was playing in stadiums and felt the need to have a rediculous backline.

Each 2 his own.... I LOVE the NV610 (as a 8x10-but EZ'er) is EZ to move, just tilt & roll. tilt into back of car-wagon, & push in-EZ. Stairs - I LIKE to have someone carrying one end(even tho U can just drag it up using the rails & casters)-then is Easier than a 4x10-esp. the SVT410HLF-IMHO- But comin down stairs IS easier than MOST smaller cabs I've had-just let the wheels do their stuff! & IS AWESOME havin that punch behind U!