Why become a member? ×

Please recommend me a lightweight versatile bass guitar

mashup

Hi Basschatters,

having really bad back & shoulder problems at the moment & am having to regretably consider selling my beloved G & L L2000 & move on to a lighter bass or 2! there wont be anything else out there as versatile as my L2000, but what lightweight bass (as light as possible) would be a good compromise in terms of versatility & pain minimization? Please recommend me as many as possible, from cheap to expensive. I want to know what my options are. Im gutted that im having to do this but my problem is just getting worse over time & i have some very important gigs coming up. It has gotten so bad that muscles in my upper shoulder/back have been spasming continually for the last 25 hours.

I play Alternative Indie Rock - Think Police/U2/Coldplay so the bass needs to be able to produce the tones that are fitting to my style of play & genre

Please help,

Thanks

Cheap - SGC Nanyo Bass Collection. You'll pay c.£200 on eBay (or here) and get a startling amount of bass for the money.

Expensive - Status Graphite Streamline. Buy one new for somewhere north of £1500 and get the bass of your dreams.

Both weigh pretty much 7lbs.

You need a P bass for Police sounds... and if you want a light one you could get yourself one of these they only weigh 8.12lbs

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11040414260931"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=11040414260931[/url]

or one of these weighs 7.15lbs so light you don't even know you've got it on your strap!

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1192&type=Bass"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...2&type=Bass[/url] Guitar

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1290879' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:40 AM']You need a P bass for Police sounds... and if you want a light one you could get yourself one of these they only weigh 8.12lbs

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11040414260931"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=11040414260931[/url][/quote]

I've just bought one of these. It's nice and light,and great quality. It really punches above it's weight.

I'd agree that a secondhand SGC Nanyo would be a good choice. They are very light indeed, and the small headstock with gotoh tuners means they balance nicely. Depending on the model they typically have a PJ or dual soapbar configuration so offer good tonal versatility.

Thanks for your replies so far people. I forgot to mention that it needs to be a 4 string bass. That Dingwall looks lovely! Also, does anyone know where in the uk you can get Status bass guitars, they look interesting.

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1290879' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:40 AM']You need a P bass for Police sounds... and if you want a light one you could get yourself one of these they only weigh 8.12lbs

[url="http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars_detail.asp?stock=11040414260931"]http://www.guitarguitar.co.uk/bass_guitars...=11040414260931[/url]

or one of these weighs 7.15lbs so light you don't even know you've got it on your strap!

[url="http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_details.cfm?ID=1192&type=Bass"]http://www.thebassgallery.com/product_deta...2&type=Bass[/url] Guitar[/quote]

Are these really light then? I was eyeing this bass up a few months ago. It's certainly lovely looking. What's the tone like on this bass? It's pretty cheap! I used to own a Fender Aerodyne, do you think that this P bass would be lighter? I dont know what the weight of my G & L L2000 is but it's actually not that much heavier than my old Aerodyne, which is a little worrying!

[quote name='mashup' post='1290908' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:12 PM']Are these really light then? I was eyeing this bass up a few months ago. It's certainly lovely looking. What's the tone like on this bass? It's pretty cheap! I used to own a Fender Aerodyne, do you think that this P bass would be lighter? I dont know what the weight of my G & L L2000 is but it's actually not that much heavier than my old Aerodyne, which is a little worrying![/quote]

Yes I own both of them, and I gave you the weight from my own scale not from the manufacturers description. The Squier is indeed a lovely bass but it'll need an upgrade pickup because the original is a little bit on the weak side. (Yes it is lighther than the aerodyne, they are just slimmer in the edges but still hit the scale at 9+ lbs)

I'd suggest you look at a Hofner Violin bass, or another hollow body bass. There's no weight (approx 5 lbs) to them at all.

Then, if the sound isn't to your liking, you can put the bass through an outboard preamp.

Edited by chris_b

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1290933' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:34 PM']Yes I own both of them, and I gave you the weight from my own scale not from the manufacturers description. The Squier is indeed a lovely bass but it'll need an upgrade pickup because the original is a little bit on the weak side. (Yes it is lighther than the aerodyne, they are just slimmer in the edges but still hit the scale at 9+ lbs)[/quote]

Thanks alot for your feedback Grand Wazoo - I really appreciate it. So if the 50's P is lighter than the Aerodyne & has a god sound to it, then it definitely sounds like a contender. What is the tonal variety like on the 50's P, Is it a versatile instrument? - I play contemporary stuff, no 50's music. & also, if i bought one, what would be the best aftermarket pickup that i could get for it?

Thanks

My Dean is the lightest bass Ive ever picked up, even lighter than a bass collection or Ibanez, I'm also contemplating selling it, though that's irrelevant I spose! It's a Dean Edge q4, and with the Bartolini pups it sounds good too, neck is as fast as you like!

I would also recommend looking at warwick corvettes depending on your budget, not all that light, but lighter than a lot of mainstream basses, and warwick do say it is a '3/4 size' body, which helps a lot with the weight, balances perfectly too which is a must if you've got back issues! The second hand german ones are going desperately cheaply at the mo.

[quote name='mashup' post='1290948' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:53 PM']Thanks alot for your feedback Grand Wazoo - I really appreciate it. So if the 50's P is lighter than the Aerodyne & has a god sound to it, then it definitely sounds like a contender. What is the tonal variety like on the 50's P, Is it a versatile instrument? - I play contemporary stuff, no 50's music. & also, if i bought one, what would be the best aftermarket pickup that i could get for it?

Thanks[/quote]

funny question that... :) excuse me for smiling, but... with 1 pickup, 1 volume, 1 tone control, the only sound differences are between open/closed tone control and wherever you choose to pluck it, i.e. from the bridge to the neck it all comes out differently. Whoever buys these basses do it because they love just that, having no means of messing about with quadruple pickups settings, in / out phase, active / passive, series / parallel stuff that yes it is great in terms of variety of options but when you've got a go to bass that already has "that tone" perfectly dialed in, the rest of the sound spectrum nuances are all down to the player. I mean look at how Sting managed to make it sound on all of those Police records.

There's loads of good pickups for these basses, Seymour Duncan do an Antiquity one which is wicked as do Lollar, Fralin, so far I've tried a SD Quarter Pound and presently have a Fralin split coil for hum cancelling which is so far hard to beat in my quest for the accurate period sound.

Edited by Grand Wazoo

Sadowsky basses are universally light, must average 8lbs but plenty around at about 7.5lbs.

Needs to have the newer lightweight tuners fitted to avoid neck dive but they've had these for a while now.

Speaking of which - you'd be amazed at the difference a set of Hipshot ultra-light tuners can make. Removing weight from the very end of the headstock makes a difference to overall feel and balance.

[quote name='mashup' post='1290867' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:32 AM']having really bad back & shoulder problems at the moment[/quote]

[quote name='Grand Wazoo' post='1290879' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:40 AM']You need a P bass[/quote]

100% agree - I had (still have) major issues with my neck due to extra growths of cartilage here and there, and I had to stop playing my super long scale, super heavy 5 and 6 string basses as I was in constant agony that only prescription painkillers would touch. I moved onto 4 string Precisions for the weight and also the comfortable body shape and scale length, and although of course I still feel it, I can do a 3hr rehearsal without too much pain these days, where before it would take me the rest of the week to recover. Also means I can still do all the on-stage showy stuff to a certain degree, which is good!

My only bit of extra advice would be to make sure you get a good, wide strap, and take some time trying it at different lengths to get it as comfortable as possible - that, coupled with the way a Precision naturally hangs on a strap in the first place, really helped me.

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1290993' date='Jul 3 2011, 01:53 PM']100% agree - I had (still have) major issues with my neck due to extra growths of cartilage here and there, and I had to stop playing my super long scale, super heavy 5 and 6 string basses as I was in constant agony that only prescription painkillers would touch. I moved onto 4 string Precisions for the weight and also the comfortable body shape and scale length, and although of course I still feel it, I can do a 3hr rehearsal without too much pain these days, where before it would take me the rest of the week to recover. Also means I can still do all the on-stage showy stuff to a certain degree, which is good!

My only bit of extra advice would be to make sure you get a good, wide strap, and take some time trying it at different lengths to get it as comfortable as possible - that, coupled with the way a Precision naturally hangs on a strap in the first place, really helped me.[/quote]

He said you need a P bass for police sounds, not for lightweightedness, I'd argue a P is one of the more heavy basses I've played, especially for a 4 string.

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291010' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:18 PM']He said you need a P bass for police sounds, not for lightweightedness, I'd argue a P is one of the more heavy basses I've played, especially for a 4 string.[/quote]

Yeah, i think Grand Wazoo suggested the Squier 50's P basss becuase (a) It is light & (:) It may fit my style of music perfectly.

It's definitely a great suggestion & i shall try one in the week, but definitely need more suggestions - Can never have too many!

[quote name='mashup' post='1291017' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:26 PM']Yeah, i think Grand Wazoo suggested the Squier 50's P basss becuase (a) It is light & (:) It may fit my style of music perfectly.

It's definitely a great suggestion & i shall try one in the week, but definitely need more suggestions - Can never have too many![/quote]

Can't recommend Dean enough, or failing that ibanez. The bodies are thin in profile, the body horns are invariably thinner too, and the necks are almost always hugely thinner than on a P, also the tuners are typically plastic and lighter, that's weight saving all round in my book. They can also be found with Bartolini pups or others, are readily available in active or passive forms without paying through the nose to get one over the other, and are IME consistent in what to expect when you pick one up (compared with the variations in Fenders based on slight model differences, location of origin etc).

EDIT: just checked, dean's current take on my bass, which is a bit old, but seems to be the exact same thing is just over 8lbs. Light as you like!

Edited by dc2009

[quote name='dc2009' post='1291010' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:18 PM']He said you need a P bass for police sounds, not for lightweightedness, I'd argue a P is one of the more heavy basses I've played, especially for a 4 string.[/quote]

I know what he meant... i was just corrupting it a little.. sorry :)

From having been there, weight isn't the only factor and the P sorted it for me... YMMV etc. but I speak as I've found!

[quote name='mashup' post='1290867' date='Jul 3 2011, 11:32 AM']Hi Basschatters,

having really bad back & shoulder problems at the moment & am having to regretably consider selling my beloved G & L L2000 & move on to a lighter bass or 2! there wont be anything else out there as versatile as my L2000, but what lightweight bass (as light as possible) would be a good compromise in terms of versatility & pain minimization? Please recommend me as many as possible, from cheap to expensive. I want to know what my options are. Im gutted that im having to do this but my problem is just getting worse over time & i have some very important gigs coming up. It has gotten so bad that muscles in my upper shoulder/back have been spasming continually for the last 25 hours.

I play Alternative Indie Rock - Think Police/U2/Coldplay so the bass needs to be able to produce the tones that are fitting to my style of play & genre

Please help,

Thanks[/quote]

If it's really that bad, I'd put health over bass tone/aesthetics everytime, and I'd consider something like a headless Steinberger... yes, very 80s and not the most beautiful, but small and light, and they do not sound half bad either. You have a lot of room for tone modification by choosing your favourite pickups or preamp etc.

[quote name='chris_b' post='1290937' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:37 PM']I'd suggest you look at a Hofner Violin bass, or another hollow body bass. There's no weight (approx 5 lbs) to them at all.

Then, if the sound isn't to your liking, you can put the bass through an outboard preamp.[/quote]

+1 on the Viola :)

I sorted neck dive by tying the strap to the neck (like an acoustic) and having a wide strap.

I can stand and play it for hours (until some big bloke throws me off the stage for being rubbish lol)

and you get two pickups with a range of tones!

[quote name='mashup' post='1290948' date='Jul 3 2011, 12:53 PM']What is the tonal variety like on the 50's P, Is it a versatile instrument? - I play contemporary stuff, no 50's music.[/quote]

Well, single pickup has its limitations. But you get a good range from the tone control. The position of the pickup means it doesn't lack bass. It's very fat and round. But it has tons of treble too. A lot of it will come down to the strings you use. It comes with D'Addario round wounds, and they have a lot of high end. I was amazed at the slap tone this bass had. "Aeroplane" by the RHCP sounded really good on this bass. It doesn't have a typical P-bass sound, as it does not have the usual P-bass pickup, but it's not too far, and it can do very trebly modern sounds and very dull reggaeish at ease. As well as slap. I like it a lot.
I just put D'Addario Chromes on mine and this made it punchier and fatter whilst keeping a good dose of treble.

Very nice bass. Don't worry about the "50s" label. It can do many things. I'm just not sure it's significantly lighter to make enough of a difference. If you find one in a local shop, go and try it. Lovely bass.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1291039' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:43 PM']If it's really that bad, I'd put health over bass tone/aesthetics everytime, and I'd consider something like a headless Steinberger... yes, very 80s and not the most beautiful, but small and light, and they do not sound half bad either. You have a lot of room for tone modification by choosing your favourite pickups or preamp etc.[/quote]

Thanks for your input McNach. In terms of the Steinberger, i have been considering one. From your experience, are they decent sounding basses & can the pickups be upgraded as that is something that i would want to do from stock?

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1291040' date='Jul 3 2011, 02:44 PM']+1 on the Viola :)

I sorted neck dive by tying the strap to the neck (like an acoustic) and having a wide strap.

I can stand and play it for hours (until some big bloke throws me off the stage for being rubbish lol)

and you get two pickups with a range of tones![/quote]

Do you think that one of these would cover the genre of music i play? It looks really old school & all i can think of when i see one is The Beatles - Great band but that's really not the sound we play. Thanks for your input :)