Why become a member? ×

Gibson Grabber

mentalextra

I've sort of hankered after one for a while. Why are they so thin on the ground compared to Fender. After all, plenty of SG and LP about. Are they a bad guitar? :)

Also, does anyone know what made Gene Simmons decide on a Gibson Bass, bearing in mind Fender must have broken their back to get him using one of theres?

Edited by mentalextra

I love my grabber! I don't know why they're so few and far between though, there's certainly no reason they should be, they're pretty P-bassish in tone with a chunky neck. The tuning on mine is a little unstable but it's not a massive problem. The body is super thin and I believe it's all maple. Gibson basses definatly have a tone of their own which is why gene probably played a ripper over fenders.

My first proper bass was a Ripper - I'd lusted after it for years - an early one that had been very well used by the time it appeared in Manchester's A1 around '77. Two years on, a job on the post gave me access to the credit I needed. I still have the bass and still love it. In the mid 70s the shops were full of Fenders - probably a 15:1 Fender/Gibson ratio. I wanted something different and was impressed by the elegance of the Ripper compared to Fenders. The overall build and set neck is beautifully done and the playability has always been extraordinary (even guitar players have loved it). Also, the bass had a massive powerful, clang and growl - not Fender-like at all. Another big influence in the choice was Patrick Djivas of PFM - what a tone (but what a player!). So too - at the time - the extra-long scale.

In the early 80s I commissioned two major hot-rod 'upgrades'. The latter, a massive revision of the electronics completely changed the tone of the instument - still great but very different and I miss the Ripper growl.

To address the OP, some 70s Gibsons are phenomenal basses and, to me, something different (often better) than the glut of Fenders. Rippers and Grabbers also seem to be enjoying a very welcome rennaisance (maybe beyond retro chic) - try a few and I hope you'll be flying the flag!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1290051' date='Jul 2 2011, 01:16 PM']I really want a Ripper but they seem hard to come by.[/quote]
Me too its one of those things I always come back around to, I just hope it will have a better outcome than the Ricky Gas :) What is it they say never meet your idols?

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1290051' date='Jul 2 2011, 01:16 PM']I really want a Ripper but they seem hard to come by.[/quote]

Go west and seek thy fortune. In other words, source from the USA. Having said that I've found two of my Gibsons in the North East of Scotland, so keep your ear to the ground - they are out there.

[quote name='NJW' post='1290135' date='Jul 2 2011, 02:40 PM']I got to play Calebs bass once. That was a good day.[/quote]

I interviewed Steven for a website back a few years ago. I was hoping to meet Caleb but it didn't happen.

He'd just started playing a P bass regularly and I didn't get to see the Grabber.

[quote name='GarethFlatlands' post='1290137' date='Jul 2 2011, 02:43 PM']I interviewed Steven for a website back a few years ago. I was hoping to meet Caleb but it didn't happen.

He'd just started playing a P bass regularly and I didn't get to see the Grabber.[/quote]

Such a great band though, through all their different sounding phases!

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1290140' date='Jul 2 2011, 02:53 PM']I wouldnt mind one at all...but I know the reissue Rippers are VERY expensive :)[/quote]

You'd be much better off scoring an original one. Like most of Gibson's reissues of late, they've completely missed the point. The reissue Ripper is not strung through the body, the pickup switching's all been changed and yes, they've priced it all expensive to hell. That's nothing compared to the reissue Grabber - set neck? 3 point bridge? Messed up the headstock shape? Chrome pickup cover? Expensive? Unfortunately, all these answers are yes, and for the original Grabber, the answer was no.

I'll say no more, I could do myself a mischief if I keep going.