Why become a member? ×

What's the most you have ever spent on....

Evil Undead

Embarrassingly enough I have spent £5 on a pick. Around 1990 there was a company selling picks made out of weird materials and I bought an animal horn one for a fiver because I saw it in a shop and I thought it was cool.

In my defense, the guitarist friend I was with bought himself a bone one for £6, which didn't look as cool as my horn one. :)

£8 on a silver dime that has been shaped into a pick.

I got a 1965 edition (birth year) as it seemed cool at the time.

I only use a pick on a guitar (not bass) but due to the early onset of arthritus it does not get that much use as I can't hold it for long now :)

I almost offered to sent it to you when you were asking for picks but I couldn't bring myself to part with it :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1289612' date='Jul 1 2011, 09:38 PM']I almost offered to sent it to you when you were asking for picks but I couldn't bring myself to part with it :)[/quote]

I don't blame you man! That's awesome :) I can't find any with my birth year (1982) but I'm still hunting!

[quote name='gub' post='1289684' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:48 PM']i have an old andy rouke one i got from a smiths gig that cost me nowt![/quote]
Andy Rouke! My bass God

£1.25 over inflated price at practice room

[quote name='Johnston' post='1289639' date='Jul 1 2011, 09:57 PM']Although I have my eyes on a pick punch so my Debit card will likely be the most expensive thing used. The bloody thing costs me a fortune :) :)[/quote]
I didn't know such a thing as a pick punch existed, I've been using scissors for years :lol:

[url="http://www.clickshop.com/product/4921/pickmaster-plectrum-punch/pickmaster1/"]http://www.clickshop.com/product/4921/pick...ch/pickmaster1/[/url]

I recall spending a couple of quid on some useless 3 mm thick lump of plastic about 10-15 years ago.
Nowadays it's about 75p max. & they get used on guitar more than bass (though there is a couple of songs that I do use em on).

I don't remember ever buying a pick in my life but I seem to have dozens of them.... I vaguely remember getting a few thrown in as part of deals on basses or guitars.

I think the most I spent on picks wasn't on picks, I used to use plastic golf tees because they gave a fatter sound. They were cheaper too but a bit uncomfortable to hold for any length of time, give one a try sometime!

(Edited to vaguely resemble English)

Edited by Fat Rich

I don't know how you can play with those things. I have one & the only thing it gets used for is dunting off the guitards napper when he's too loud! :)

I'm a .78mm man :)

Edited by xgsjx

50p on a Dunlop Tortex one in Denmark Street. Big thick triangular one x2 of the yellow/green variety.

I felt bad because as soon as walked into the shop I got the slightly distasteful look from the bloke behind the till that he knew I was only there to play the nice basses and then leave with no intention or interest in purchasing anything. SLR camera kind of made it obvious I was a tourist. And the Muse shirt. And the fact that Muse were playing in Wembley that night. :)

[quote name='wez' post='1289695' date='Jul 1 2011, 10:58 PM']Andy Rouke! My bass God[/quote]

Never meet your heroes. I rubbed shoulders with him at a house party in manchester a good few years back; i seem to remember we nearly came to blows waiting for the loo. My overriding memory was that he was a bit of a tool. Granted we'd all had a few and i'd like to think that's what it was down to.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1289601' date='Jul 1 2011, 09:33 PM']A single pick. That you use, not a collectors item.[/quote]

People play bass with a pick? Bizarre. I use one for mandolin, but I keep dropping it. I think it was free with a pack of strings.

ficelles

I own loads from teaching guitar at a music shop and pocketing them without thinking (same as you do with lighters if you smoke and borrow one). I think the most I've ever spent is 65p. Never use them for bass though. The shop I worked at had a few Zemaitis picks given to us by someone that owned one of his guitars, I bet they're worth a fair bit. We never put them up for sale though.

My good friend, who is a guitarist, went to see B.B. King in the early '90's , and has often told me the story that B.B. threw out some picks out at the end of the concert to the audience,
but my friend, was that stunned and overawed that he couldn't move and missed out on picking one up.
One of our girl friends saw B.B at the Albert Hall this week, and she was under strict instructions to "make sure you get a guitar pick!".

Apparently she was in the toilet when he threw them. My friend is that distraught, he says he's not plucking a string, [b]Ever Again![/b] until he gets one !!! :)

Anyway, here's some nice picked bass, for all the doubters ...

£1 for 3mm Big Stubbies.

I was doing the rounds of the local(ish) guitar shops for the first time since moving here. I had been in a few shops that didn't stock them, so, as gutted as I was at the price, I bought 3 (usually buy half a dozen at a time, and usually only 60p each). The very next shop I went into had them for 60p each, but, as I ended up buying a Bass while I was in there, he gave me some for free!