Why become a member? ×

a bit of gravel??

AFKT

I'm playing a stingray, with a seymour duncan p/up through a hartke and a loud 410.
I'm happy with my basic tone [i]but[/i] i find it a little tooo smooth for my liking in my rock band and would like to add a bit of grit in there somewhere. I'v got a pd7 for the crazy moments, i just need this for the bits between.
A DHA would probably be perfect except i'm on a [u]very[/u] tight budget at the moment.

I was thinking of giving the old two-parrallel-diodes-pointing-in-opposite-directions trick but I was less than impressed with the (lack of) effect it had on my (passive) project bass. Anyone tried it with an active bass?

any other ideas?

Cheers!

JP.

[quote name='dangerboy' post='1012' date='May 17 2007, 11:54 PM']When I want a bit of gravel I reach for a sansamp. Then turn up the drive and add some treble. Lovely. Couldn't live without it.[/quote]

A tight budget is the difficult part. If you could get together £100 I'd say get a second hand fulltone fatboost or a DHA flavour to suit.

What budget are we talking exactly?

[quote name='Toasted' post='3498' date='May 21 2007, 11:29 AM']What budget are we talking exactly?[/quote]

At the moment two diodes and a bit of solder type budget :)
Sounds like it might be worth waiting though, am looking for a new job at the moment. although.. that behringer sansamp-a-like looks tempting, despite the absoloute carp that behringer invaribly is, it might be worth a try as a tempory thing till I can afford the real thing??

cheers for the replies

JP

JP, assuming yer' hartke is hybrid, I think probably the cheapest and easiest thing you could do is to bung a new valve in there, something higher gain. A lovely chap called Chris made up this list: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42[/url]

I had a groovetubes 12ax7 in mine and if you cranked the tube side of the pre a little and dug in it gave a nice bit of grit.

[quote name='ped' post='6857' date='May 25 2007, 10:17 PM']JP, assuming yer' hartke is hybrid, I think probably the cheapest and easiest thing you could do is to bung a new valve in there, something higher gain. A lovely chap called Chris made up this list: [url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=42[/url]

I had a groovetubes 12ax7 in mine and if you cranked the tube side of the pre a little and dug in it gave a nice bit of grit.[/quote]

Yup, bought my cab of him and had a bit of a chat about valves etc. I'v got a groovetubes in there at the moment, never thought to try and crank that a bit :) I'll give it a bash

JP.

[quote name='ChocolateTelevision' post='14873' date='Jun 10 2007, 12:35 AM']Digitech Bad Monkey - you can pick one up for £20 on Ebay and it's absolutely awesome on bass. Does just what you want - adds a bit of grit. It's for light overdrive only and won't do all-out distortion. It outperforms its price tag by a MASSIVE margin![/quote]

That is the common consensus. There's a few companies that mod them to better specs too :)

I read a mod'd BadderMonkey sounds awsome, it's not true bypass and can suck a bit of tone.
I'm using a Boss ODB-3 through my Trace rig, not bad for grit, gravel, dirt and can even get a bit muddy if you like. THrough a P-bass ;-b

Edited by mav

[quote name='mav' post='15402' date='Jun 11 2007, 05:49 AM']I read a mod'd BadderMonkey sounds awsome, it's not true bypass and can suck a bit of tone.[/quote]

What mods are they, is it just swapping the footswitch out for a true bypass one or have some components been changed? Anyone any ideas?

[quote name='mav' post='15495' date='Jun 11 2007, 11:18 AM']Components mod. You can pick the Badder Monkey up off ebay.[/quote]

just won a standard bad monkey of ebay, for £21 (inc £10 postage!!!), got some details for a mod.... i'm (hopefully) in business

[quote name='steve' post='15847' date='Jun 11 2007, 07:55 PM']just won a standard bad monkey of ebay, for £21 (inc £10 postage!!!), got some details for a mod.... i'm (hopefully) in business[/quote]

Great deal. :)

Where did you find the details for the mod incidentally? I might have a crack at this myself at some point.

[quote name='Musky' post='15919' date='Jun 11 2007, 09:46 PM']Great deal. :)

Where did you find the details for the mod incidentally? I might have a crack at this myself at some point.[/quote]

the website is [url="http://www.indyguitarist.com/"]here[/url]. Sign up to the newsletter and then the (large) ebook about modding costs around £7 to download (i am not affiliated to the website, just glad I found it)

and yeah, I was pleased with the deal, £10 shipping tho - outrageous!

Edited by steve

[quote name='twentyhertz' post='17458' date='Jun 14 2007, 11:16 AM']Do the bad monkeys suffer from the same ridiculouly high current draw as other Digitech pedals? My guitarist has a digitech synth-wah and it draws something insane like 400mA if I remember right.[/quote]

I read somewhere (harmony-central review IIRC) that they are pretty bad for that