Why become a member? ×

P bass neck doesn't fit body

the boy

Hi everybody this is my first post so if I'm breaking any protocol, apologies. I recently bought a 70s p bass ash body on eBay. I then purchased a mighty mite p bass 70s standard neck to go with the body but the neck is too small. There is a 1/2 ml gap at the heal/pocket on either side. I desperately wanna put the two together but I'm nervous it won't work out. Any tips. Im bricking the drilling of the holes for the neck plate screws. Also is the neck gonna be moving all over the shop. Can I shim it. Etc etc. Any advice would be appreciated. The boy.

[quote name='the boy' post='1288346' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:00 PM']Hi everybody this is my first post so if I'm breaking any protocol, apologies. I recently bought a 70s p bass ash body on eBay. I then purchased a mighty mite p bass 70s standard neck to go with the body but the neck is too small. There is a 1/2 ml gap at the heal/pocket on either side. I desperately wanna put the two together but I'm nervous it won't work out. Any tips. Im bricking the drilling of the holes for the neck plate screws. Also is the neck gonna be moving all over the shop. Can I shim it. Etc etc. Any advice would be appreciated. The boy.[/quote]

Hi mate, welcome to the site. The above scenario's not unusual and is not a huge problem (show me a 70's Fender pocket the same size as a standard Fender heel and I'll eat my cat). I'm sure several of the more technically minded members will be along to give more comprehensive advice, but in essence - and making sure the strings line up along the neck and through the PUPs - you can go ahead and drill the holes for the neck screws and then shim the gaps between neck and body.

Chris

I had same issue with putting together a P-bass project once - just shimmed the neck pocket with 1/2mm maple sliver to fill the gap, sand it flush and you get a nice snug neck joint again which is barely visible. It doesn't even need fixing in place, just the pressure of the neck in the pocket holds it firm.

[quote name='Al Heeley' post='1288389' date='Jun 30 2011, 11:34 PM']I had same issue with putting together a P-bass project once - just shimmed the neck pocket with 1/2mm maple sliver to fill the gap, sand it flush and you get a nice snug neck joint again which is barely visible. It doesn't even need fixing in place, just the pressure of the neck in the pocket holds it firm.[/quote]

+the 1, I have an old strat with this problem, it spent years with bits of Rizla packet shoved in the hole, which has been replaced with maple veneer now. This has made no noticable tonal difference, may go back to rizla packet, as it looked more rock and roll. :)

[quote name='Dave Vader' post='1288791' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:11 AM']+the 1, I have an old strat with this problem, it spent years with bits of Rizla packet shoved in the hole, which has been replaced with maple veneer now. This has made no noticable tonal difference, may go back to rizla packet, as it looked more rock and roll. :)[/quote]

Rock 'n roll cred is important when shimming a neck; I used to keep a couple of Scandinavian groupies in the gap between the neck and the body in my '77 Precision.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1288795' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:14 AM']Rock 'n roll cred is important when shimming a neck; I used to keep a couple of Scandinavian groupies in the gap between the neck and the body in my '77 Precision.[/quote]
Twins would have had more cred...

;-)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1288827' date='Jul 1 2011, 11:37 AM']Twins would have had more cred...

;-)[/quote]

They were :)

Reminds me of a drunken conversation with some mates a while back:

"So who did you fancy when you were young"
"That blonde one out of Abba"
"What, Benny.....?"

You probably had to be there :)