Why become a member? ×

how many of you

steve-bbb

[quote name='thisnameistaken' post='1285595' date='Jun 28 2011, 07:40 PM']I've always done it. My music-reading is rubbish, however.

Could've included something about the subject of your thread in the title or subtitle field by the way. :) </pedant mode>[/quote]

i know but it wouldnt have had the same level of intrigue would it - annoys hell out of me when im looking for a specific item in the for sale bits :)

Not me I'm afraid....I'm very envious of those who can. I think I have an ok backing voice but have tried many times over the years to sing & play.....just can't do it. I think it's because I concentrate so much (too much?) on the bassline & drums.....I can't do two things at once! :)

Angie

I`ve done backing vox in every band I`ve been in except one - don`t know why, just couldn`t be bothered in that one.

I`ve done lead vox playing bass on a couple of songs, and found it quite difficult, a lot more so than when I was lead vox/lead guitar.

[quote name='steve-bbb' post='1285585' date='Jun 28 2011, 07:36 PM']play and sing at the same time?[/quote]

Like a lot of people I find it very difficult to play bass and sing at the same. But, like most things, with practise and motivation it would probably come.
I can sing and play rhythm guitar though. I put it down to the fact that somewhere in the chord I'm playing will be the note I'm singing. With a bassline, unless it's a very simple one, that's not the case. The playing of one note and the singing of a different one puts my brain into overload and without meaning to I stop doing one of them.

I've got a bandmate who can sing and play violin at the same time. That impresses me!

As far as singing and playing go just cant do it, even if i could sing, i even have problems talking i concentrate that hard. i can however dance/move really badly when playing!
Never learnt to read music but, understand tab to a certain level but couldnt sight read it.

I've sung lead and BVs in a number of bands over the years so I don't find it too difficult (although as has been said, it depends on the complexity of the bass part). The really difficult thing is [i]talking[/i] and playing... It's taken years but i'm finally getting to grips with it.

The only way I can do it successfully I have to be able to play the song with no issues, know it off pat, then I can concentrate on my singing and it needs to be a fairly straight for tune. Again though, if it's a bass line that has some interesting timing off the beat, that causes me big problems.

Yup.

Fronted a band while playing for about 5 years. Was hard to start with, got easier!

Deffo easier to do it with stuff I have written, and there's plenty of songs I vetoed because it has a head f***.

Rhime of the Ancient Mariner - bass OR vocal thank you very much!!

Wish i could sing, wish i could play bass better. The two at the same time would be great. Have a job plucking the same note I'm fretting sometimes.

Interesting Alex commented on Reggae, as the only person i can understand how they play and sing at the same time is Sting. Early Police bass lines his vocal style sits in the gaps. So maybe start there at it may get easier ?