Why become a member? ×

Let down from a possible jam session

munkonthehill

Hola all,

So a few months ago I got the nod from the local jam session organiser that I would be the stand-in bassist. Not a massive gigging chance and lets face it,,,,its only a jam session. However I was quite pleased that I was thought of well enough to be asked.

So I find out that my pal who is the bassist for the band has not been gigging with them for the past few weeks due to other gigs and other reasons. I was a wee bit taken back that I didnt get a call to come and play. So I asked a few pals and turns out I may not even be the 3rd person inline they will ask....At the time they did ask me the other fellas all couldnt make it :) :lol: :D

So im in a wee bit of a huff that I am so far down the list and only needed in an emergency. Being that far down the line wouldnt have bothered me, IF I was told. I feel a wee bit deceived by it all. I even went ahead and even bought a bass for it as i didnt fancy anyone using my Ric or Jag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owell looks like I will just have to get my band out gigging ASAP to get my self esteem back up :)

[quote name='Blademan_98' post='1284757' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:50 PM']That's a bit depressing :lol:

Still at least you are in line.

My mate had a party at the weekend and all the muso's we know got up to play and I wasn't even asked :D

Get gigging and stuff em all :)[/quote]

I havent had an actual gig in about a year a think :) Thankfully I have been playing at jams or at gigs in local pubs where they have been cool to let us have a shot.

Still feel a wee bit let down though :P

I used to get badgered into taking my gear miles away now and again a few years ago to help some regulars from a jam about 10 miles towards them from my house to get their night going,it used to go on until 2am on a week night sometimes, Then when someone started a new night nearer me I asked them why they never came to it "it's too far". Hmmm so 5 miles less for them than they made me do is too far and it finished strictly at 11 as there were houses nearby :)

Jam nights can be hard work IMO, The amount of times I have been asked to help out with a new one then when I have stood firm and made it very clear that I can't commit to every week I'm told that there are 6 or more bassists so I will only need to do once every 6 or 7 weeks, Three weeks in all me still! Always "sorry the bassist is ill" or "working late" then 9.30 they stroll in with their bass!

Sucks, Get the band rocking and just turn up and steal the show leaving everyone else to pack the stuff away :)

Edited by stingrayPete1977

[quote name='chris_b' post='1284780' date='Jun 27 2011, 11:12 PM']It's a foot on the ladder I suppose! If you want to move up the pecking order, check out the other bass players and try to play better than them. Blow them out of the water so the organisers can't ignore you.[/quote]

To be fair I dont really get down to the jam as much as I used to before my little lad was born, maybe thats why im so far down the pecking order. I will get my band down to play a few tunes one night and show everyone who the DADDY is ahahaha.

Im not overly bothered about not doing it. I was quite happy at the time to be thought of. It was more the way it was put across to me.

How does the Jam session organiser know you? From your initial post it doesn't look like you go there regularly? Did he ask you when you were at a session and then you never went back? People tend to forget about you if you don't badger them. It's not always how well you play but whether you can show the commitment to a weekly session.

[quote name='TimR' post='1284796' date='Jun 27 2011, 11:30 PM']How does the Jam session organiser know you? From your initial post it doesn't look like you go there regularly? Did he ask you when you were at a session and then you never went back? People tend to forget about you if you don't badger them. It's not always how well you play but whether you can show the commitment to a weekly session.[/quote]

Imr really good pals with half the band. The main organisers are known by friends, parties and frequenting the jam.

But I think due to my infrequent visits to the jam may be a reason. But still no reason to mislead me!

I'm with JTUK, often a case of not what you know as who you know with jam sessions. You will definitely do yourself a favour by turning up more regularly. Only a matter of time before someone doesn't show up and if you are there and can get them out of a hole they should remember it.

Looks like you posted while I was still reading.

I don't like the idea of having a fixed band at jams. The idea is that you just turn up and play with whoever is there. I've only been to a couple but found that people did seem to hog the stage. I played a few tunes but it was fairly clear that the regular guys had it sown up. That's down to the organisers though. If you want to play, then turn up and put your name down and when the bass player has done 15/20mins remind the organiser that it's supposed to be a jam night and you would like to have your turn.

Sounds to me to be more like karaoke with a live band. I think that would quickly get very old for me.

You could try hanging out with the regular players at the bar when they're not playing, chatting with them when they're packing down, or turning up early before it gets busy. I can't see you getting called up if no bass player turns up one evening. It's more likely they'll just get a guitarist to busy up the bass that night.

[quote name='munkonthehill' post='1284742' date='Jun 27 2011, 10:43 PM']Hola all,

So a few months ago I got the nod from the local jam session organiser that I would be the stand-in bassist. Not a massive gigging chance and lets face it,,,,its only a jam session. However I was quite pleased that I was thought of well enough to be asked.

So I find out that my pal who is the bassist for the band has not been gigging with them for the past few weeks due to other gigs and other reasons. I was a wee bit taken back that I didnt get a call to come and play. So I asked a few pals and turns out I may not even be the 3rd person inline they will ask....At the time they did ask me the other fellas all couldnt make it :) :lol: :D

So im in a wee bit of a huff that I am so far down the list and only needed in an emergency. Being that far down the line wouldnt have bothered me, IF I was told. I feel a wee bit deceived by it all. I even went ahead and even bought a bass for it as i didnt fancy anyone using my Ric or Jag!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

Owell looks like I will just have to get my band out gigging ASAP to get my self esteem back up :)[/quote]well iv been going to my local jam night for 2 years and never ever been ask to play when i ask why the guy said because wev heard you well you cant win em all

I know its quite cliquey as with all these jams. But I know the guys and I go up and play whenever im there. My brother in law who is my drummer was their session drummer for a few years. So whenever him and I pop in we always go up for a wee shot.

I cant make the jam every week and probably not even every second week due to my wee family. However the wife always gives me a green light for any gigs I do. To be fair she never says no to me going out whenever I want, its more down to me.

Im going down this Friday for the wetting of my pals new babies head :) So will get a wee shot on stage but think I will just take anything they say with a pinch of salt.

[quote name='HADGE' post='1285512' date='Jun 28 2011, 06:32 PM']well iv been going to my local jam night for 2 years and never ever been ask to play when i ask why the guy said because wev heard you well you cant win em all[/quote]

sorry matey but do you mean they didnt let you up cos they said you cant play!!!!!!!!!!!!!

What kind of jam is that where they act like rockstar divas???????????? Bloody terrible.