Why become a member? ×

coolest glasto bass??

cycrowave

[quote name='Beedster' post='1283705' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:07 AM']Might be a daft question and probably covered elsewhere, but why did Plan B's bassist have the logo of his bass taped over, was he otherwise in breach of an endorsement deal or something?[/quote]

I thought the same..... what was going on there????

[quote name='Beedster' post='1283705' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:07 AM']Might be a daft question and probably covered elsewhere, but why did Plan B's bassist have the logo of his bass taped over, was he otherwise in breach of an endorsement deal or something?[/quote]
What was he playing?

Maybe he doesn't believe in advertising a brand that isn't doing him a deal for it? Were any other instrument logos covered up?

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1283746' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:49 AM']What was he playing?

Maybe he doesn't believe in advertising a brand that isn't doing him a deal for it? Were any other instrument logos covered up?[/quote]

Can't remember what bass it as (I was on the firewater at the time), but was sufficiently aware to wonder why he had it taped over. Didn't notice any others?

[quote name='Beedster' post='1283883' date='Jun 27 2011, 11:34 AM']Can't remember what bass it as (I was on the firewater at the time), but was sufficiently aware to wonder why he had it taped over. Didn't notice any others?[/quote]

No, he was the only one..altho the cabs were devoid of logos as well...maybe, inadvertingly as they had staging covering the cabs.

You know in this age of corporate sponsorship for just about everything there's a case for covering up logos from manufacturers who aren't doing you some sort of deal.

I know if I was in a band big enough to be playing gigs like Glastonbury I'd probably have every logo from manufacturers that weren't supporting me in some way covered.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1284023' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:02 PM']You know in this age of corporate sponsorship for just about everything there's a case for covering up logos from manufacturers who aren't doing you some sort of deal.

I know if I was in a band big enough to be playing gigs like Glastonbury I'd probably have every logo from manufacturers that weren't supporting me in some way covered.[/quote]

Surely if the equipment gives you the sound and performance you need you just use it ?
Why does sponsorship need to come into the equation , or am I missing something ?

[quote name='Prosebass' post='1284043' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:14 PM']Surely if the equipment gives you the sound and performance you need you just use it ?
Why does sponsorship need to come into the equation , or am I missing something ?[/quote]

I guess along the lines of hoping that, if you play Fender on a big stage but cover up the logo, Fender will call you up and say "we'll pay you not to cover up our logo".

[quote name='Beedster' post='1284047' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:16 PM']I guess along the lines of hoping that, if you play Fender on a big stage but cover up the logo, Fender will call you up and say "we'll pay you not to cover up our logo".[/quote]

Still don't get it and never have. Sponsorship ties you into a certain brand and all that goes with it (cheesy endorsement ads in bass mags)
Its not like most of these guys cannot afford to use whatever gear they want..

[quote name='stingrayPete1977' post='1283650' date='Jun 27 2011, 07:34 AM']Well I wouldn't be me if I didn't say that Musicman ClassicRay with the white pickup and pick guard that Janelle monae's bass player was using, Yum![/quote]

Yeah I was thinking that also. I saw the white pickups and thought, I wonder if thats a classic. Sounded so good, it has made me put my fretted neck back on mine and take it to rehearsal tomorrow.

[quote name='Beedster' post='1284047' date='Jun 27 2011, 01:16 PM']I guess along the lines of hoping that, if you play Fender on a big stage but cover up the logo, Fender will call you up and say "we'll pay you not to cover up our logo".[/quote]

I seem to recall a reasonably high profile band a few years back (I can't remember who) covering the Fender logo because Fender had refused them an endorsement deal. Seems pretty pointless as protests go!

[quote name='simon1964' post='1284105' date='Jun 27 2011, 02:04 PM']I seem to recall a reasonably high profile band a few years back (I can't remember who) covering the Fender logo because Fender had refused them an endorsement deal. Seems pretty pointless as protests go![/quote]

Didn;t Stuart Zender do the same to his Fender's?