Why become a member? ×

Floor tuners

I'm considering investing in a new tuner, currently I have a Korg DTR1000 which is great, but since I'm not taking my rack to gigs any more, it's not with me most of the time and I'm relying on the guitarist's tuner pre-gig and staying in tune for the whole set (which hasn't been an issue yet, there's been one or two times I'd like to double check my tuning though that I've not been able to).

I also do set ups and having to move around my rack (complete with GK 2001RB head) and plug in is a pain when I think about the days I used a small tuner.

With those in mind, I'm looking for a floor tuner I can use live and easily move around during setups. I don't often use FX so I'd like a true bypass one so there's nothing happening to my signal (and it will be in my signal chain for muting purposes) and I'd also want it to be as accurate as possible for setups (though I've always managed fine without tuners being uber accurate).

I dunno what my budget would be yet, as cheap as possible but I won't skimp out on paying up if I feel the extra money is worth paying.

Some that have popped up are:

Boss TU2, though I think it's not true bypass.
Peterson Strobostomp 2, brilliant tuner, built in DI and incredibly expensive.
TC Electronics Polytune, seems like a good contender.

Any others that I should be thinking about or recommendations for the above?

Thanks

I have the TC tuner and it is pretty good but you could probably get a tuner that does the basics for a lot less money... though I bet the TC lasts a lifetime whereas some cheaper ones may die after a few years gigging abuse. BTW I only ever use it as a bog standard chromatic tuner not trying to tune all strings at once, so a wasted feature for me.

Ive got a Korg Pitchblack which is pretty nifty, you can change the display to look like the red light bit on the front of KIT from knight rider which is really useless and actually quite hard to read but it looks pretty cool. I tend to just keep it on the default setting though which is really easy to read.

[quote name='simon1964' post='1282954' date='Jun 26 2011, 12:58 PM']I use the Korg DT-10. Excellent for live tuning (with a mute option) although I'm not sure whether its true bypass.[/quote]

I've had one of these now for yonks. I keep it off my pedalboard as I don't always need to use pedals depending on the gig

[quote name='leezo666' post='1283112' date='Jun 26 2011, 04:25 PM']Ive got a Korg Pitchblack which is pretty nifty, you can change the display to look like the red light bit on the front of KIT from knight rider which is really useless and actually quite hard to read but it looks pretty cool. I tend to just keep it on the default setting though which is really easy to read.[/quote]

+ 1 for the Korg pitch black

I have a rack Korg DTR-1000 and the Korg pitch black and usually switch between the two (depending on whether I take my gear or I'm using someone else's)

It's simple to use and does the job... and it's black. The white of the Polytune/Boss TU-2 is bloody awful and get's dirty too quickly IMO.

The Pitch Black also works well to mute your signal between songs, which is pretty useful to have at your feet for pit work :)

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1283152' date='Jun 26 2011, 05:38 PM']For set ups (especially if you're doing other people's instruments and charging for it) there's no substitute IMO for the Perterson.[/quote]

this is probably right. For live I use Polytune and don't notice, but the polytune has a bit of rep for being "loose". If you are in the set up business you probably want a top end beast.

[quote name='leezo666' post='1283112' date='Jun 26 2011, 04:25 PM']Ive got a Korg Pitchblack which is pretty nifty, you can change the display to look like the red light bit on the front of KIT from knight rider which is really useless and actually quite hard to read but it looks pretty cool. I tend to just keep it on the default setting though which is really easy to read.[/quote]

Agree, robust and functional, best tuner pedal I've owned.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='1283152' date='Jun 26 2011, 05:38 PM']For set ups (especially if you're doing other people's instruments and charging for it) there's no substitute IMO for the Perterson.[/quote]

I've been looking closely at this, the thing that puts me off is that I don't charge for setups any more (if I did, I could justify it without a doubt). I do my own setups though and occasionally for band mates so it's still important though. I just don't know if it's £100 important (price difference between the Peterson and others like the Polytune etc).

What's the DI on it like? What are the sweetener banks? How reliable and sturdy is it? Anyone have any first hand reviews?

I bought one of the new Boss TU-3 tuners and really like it. It tracks notes much faster than the old TU-2, and in my experience at least, faster than the DTR-1000. I've done a few setups with it and the accuracy has been fine. It's not true bypass, but that's about the only downside.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1282919' date='Jun 26 2011, 12:04 PM']I'm considering investing in a new tuner, currently I have a Korg DTR1000 which is great, but since I'm not taking my rack to gigs any more, it's not with me most of the time and I'm relying on the guitarist's tuner pre-gig and staying in tune for the whole set (which hasn't been an issue yet, there's been one or two times I'd like to double check my tuning though that I've not been able to).

I also do set ups and having to move around my rack (complete with GK 2001RB head) and plug in is a pain when I think about the days I used a small tuner.

With those in mind, I'm looking for a floor tuner I can use live and easily move around during setups. I don't often use FX so I'd like a true bypass one so there's nothing happening to my signal (and it will be in my signal chain for muting purposes) and I'd also want it to be as accurate as possible for setups (though I've always managed fine without tuners being uber accurate).

I dunno what my budget would be yet, as cheap as possible but I won't skimp out on paying up if I feel the extra money is worth paying.

Some that have popped up are:

Boss TU2, though I think it's not true bypass.
Peterson Strobostomp 2, brilliant tuner, built in DI and incredibly expensive.
TC Electronics Polytune, seems like a good contender.

Any others that I should be thinking about or recommendations for the above?

Thanks[/quote]
I'd go with the TC Polytune, but be prepared for every guitarist to borrow it! It's got a great display, easy to see and unlike most battery powered tuners it responds quickly. It's not cheap but it is well made and is true bypass, and it's far from the most expensive!

Edited by Busterrabbit

I'm using a Boss Tu-3 while the two guitarists use the Polytune.

I'm happy with the TU-3, they're happy with the Polytune :) (Note: I did not try how the Polytune reacts to a Low E).

The Polytune has a cool feature: check all the strings at once. very handy.

I;d suggest you one of these two though.

Cheers
Chris

Korg DT-10 for me. Rugged, nice clear display, accurate tuning. The other day it fell from the attic space we rehearse in to the landing below, a good 15 foot drop - not a scratch on it and still works fine, so thumbs up from me.

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1283317' date='Jun 26 2011, 08:29 PM']I do my own setups though and occasionally for band mates so it's still important though. I just don't know if it's £100 important (price difference between the Peterson and others like the Polytune etc).[/quote]
Slight derail. AP Tuner (software) from www.aptuner.com. Entirely brilliant for set-ups (though useless onstage). Lots of different pre-sets and temperings. Savable sweetened tunings, etc. Free to trial (no time limit) and $35 if you like it.