Why become a member? ×

Help with Amp choice!!??

bubinga5

Hey people, i need a little advice. I have been used to a smallish amp size...90--150w ...Im wanting to buy a head and cab, but am a little confused as to what power i need. I will hopefully soon be playing live so need something that can cope. I have roughly 500 (but would spend a little more). I wont be playing huge venues so nothing too big. Also if i got a decent size head could i go into the PA. Please explain. Me lost when it comes to serious bass amplification!!!?? :)

Thanks girls/guys..

Depending on size of venues -gigs etc you'll be doing & type of music you play...... Solid state/hybrid amps I wouldn't get anything less than 350w-pref. 450+ w RMS & a cab with either 2 x 12"s or 4 x 10's or 2 cabs -2x10 & 1 x 15 Check out the thread re watts, impedance(ohms) If U R going for an ALL tube/valve amp(NOT a hybrid-which is a solid state amp with a tube pre amp) then 100w MAY be enough, tho 200w would probly be safer. That being said MY AMPEG 100w ALL tube V4BH into an efficient cab-with plenty of SPEAKER cone area -mines a 6x10") give volume enough for most gigs. if not it's DI'd into PA. So- Solid state- Get at least 350-450w- usually @ 4ohms. And a cab that will maximise that power - so a 4 ohms cab that'll handle 500w or 2 x 8 ohm cabs etc.......

You could buy a markbass little mark II as a bass head, they've got a great sound 500w output and are very light to carry.
That wouldn't leave you with a lot to spend on a bass cab, but if you look in the ads here and on ebay you could get a decent cab without spending much money.
It is useful to have a good DI output on your amp to connect to the PA.
Good luck.