Why become a member? ×

*WITHDRAWN* Wal Mach II Custom 5 String

Mokl

I never thought I'd be faced with parting with this bass, because I know that I will probably never be able to replace it. Unfortunately I need to raise some money to purchase a new mountain bike, and these days I seem to get more from my mountain biking than my music (never thought I'd say that either!).

This is a feeler to gauge interest. I have recently moved and am currently only able to access the web at work, so please bear with me - I will get back to you eventually! Here's a couple of pics...

The bass is an `89 - probably one of the last to be signed off by Ian Waller. It has been refinished to a high standard in black poly by French luthier Patrice Blanc, but underneath are schedua facings. Rest assured there are no hidden repairs or problems with the bass, I guess the previous owner just fancied a change. I probably wouldn't have done it myself, although it does look rather good (always attracts positive comments).

Condition is very good for the age, there is a small patch of buckle rash on the back, but nothing else really of note. Electrics are in full working order (pots are smooth and noise-free), truss rod functions perfectly (currently running a low action with light srings). It comes with the original Wal hardcase. I've just fitted a brand new set of Zon strings too!

This would not only make a fabulous working bass for someone, but also a great investment given the current appetite for Wals. The tone is wonderful, very growly in the low mids with a tremendous "bark" when you dig in.... In other words, classic Wal tone!

Looking for £2k.

Edited by Mokl

I'm afraid I don't have a suitable scale to weigh the bass. You wouldn't exactly say that it was light, but I haven't found the weight to be a problem (as I did with my old Jaydee, for example), even over long rehearsals etc, if that helps at all?! I'm a pretty slim build too, probably due to the cycling... lol!

[quote name='jonsmith' post='147879' date='Feb 27 2008, 03:05 PM']I'm on the lookout for a 5 string Wal. I would be interested if you were selling it and things didn't work out with owen.[/quote]

Thanks Jon, your interest has been registered!

[quote name='dub_junkie' post='148006' date='Feb 27 2008, 06:21 PM']that is amazing!

Wal basses like this make me want to stop faffing about with MM/G&L etc and get rid of GAS forever[/quote]

Ah but surely we all need a little GAS in our lives?

Stunning bass.

R.

That is one super hot bass!!! Just sheer coolness...and i bet it plays and sounds like a beast too!!!

Almost tempted to offer up my Marleaux Fretless as trade bait but i can't do that, and i don't have 2k to spend on a bass at the moment, which is a shame :)

May i ask where you're based though...?

Jamie

[quote name='Mokl' post='147637' date='Feb 27 2008, 09:53 AM']I never thought I'd be faced with parting with this bass, because I know that I will probably never be able to replace it. Unfortunately I need to raise some money to purchase a new mountain bike, and these days I seem to get more from my mountain biking than my music (never thought I'd say that either!).[/quote]

Mmmm...
That is a beautiful thing.
So tempting...

I do know how addictive mountain biking can be - I've been on trips all around the world.
But I've had to calm down a fair bit since my last big crash resulted in 2 operations & this bit of metalwork getting screwed into my collar bone (due to a complete dislocation of my right arm):
:)
[attachment=6019:metalwork.jpg]

And yes - that did hurt rather a lot.

Still no internet access at home at the moment, so posting more pics is a little tricky. I will try and get some done over the weekend and sneak my camera into work on monday!

When held to the light you can make out the schedua grain in the finish - I guess it's a fairly thin coat of poly. I think that is what you are seeing in the picture, there is certainly no uneveness in the lacquer.

Matt

[quote name='99ster' post='148176' date='Feb 28 2008, 12:05 AM']Mmmm...
That is a beautiful thing.
So tempting...

I do know how addictive mountain biking can be - I've been on trips all around the world.
But I've had to calm down a fair bit since my last big crash resulted in 2 operations & this bit of metalwork getting screwed into my collar bone (due to a complete dislocation of my right arm):
:)
[attachment=6019:metalwork.jpg]

And yes - that did hurt rather a lot.[/quote]

Ouch! Hope you are okay now? So far I've been extremely lucky and not received any horrible injuries, but then I don't do the extreme downhill stuff. A few nasty cuts and bruises are the worst I've had.... I probably don't ride hard enough!!

[quote name='Mokl' post='148809' date='Feb 29 2008, 09:37 AM']Ouch! Hope you are okay now? So far I've been extremely lucky and not received any horrible injuries, but then I don't do the extreme downhill stuff. A few nasty cuts and bruises are the worst I've had.... I probably don't ride hard enough!![/quote]

Took a year to get over it & it will never really be right again.
As is often the way - I wasn't going particularly fast, or doing anything mad when it happened. :)
I've done stuff that is a 100 times more risky like 'Porcupine Rim' in Moab & a single track ride in Durango along the edge of a sheer drop that was instant death if it had gone wrong - but your brain is hyped up & super-concentrating when you're doing really risky things. Accidents are much more likely when you've 'switched off' on routes that you know really well...