Why become a member? ×

Equipment upgrade question

jonunders

Hi,
Just posing a question, if i had say £1500 to upgrade in either a decient bass, amp or cab, where would i be best investing my money.
How much does the bass influence the sound, would a good bass sound the same through a mid range amp + cab as a mid range bass and vice versa?
what infulences you choice of upgrade?

Jonathan

[quote name='jonunders' post='1280747' date='Jun 24 2011, 11:35 AM']Hi,
Just posing a question, if i had say £1500 to upgrade in either a decient bass, amp or cab, where would i be best investing my money.
How much does the bass influence the sound, would a good bass sound the same through a mid range amp + cab as a mid range bass and vice versa?
what infulences you choice of upgrade?

Jonathan[/quote]

Surely it depends on what your current equipment set up is

I'd be more inclined to decide what you wanted to use, which is where the fun comes in in trawling all the gear shops, pawn-brokers, crack converters etc. looking for it. If it means buying s/h to get the bass you want do you know how to check it's good. Then start all over again with the amp, though I'd be less inclined to buy amps from a junk-shop unless you factor into your budget the price of a check by an amp tech.

Bottom line, decide what you actually want by trial & error, with an eye on what your budget limit is, rather than looking for how to blow the lot on whatever.

Amp and cab. They are complicated, basses are planks. The most respected basses were designed to be mass produced as simply as possible. Given that budget, my split would be 400 on a bass and 1100 on amp and cab. You have to seriously cheap out on a bass for it to be bad, even a £100 job is a goer after a £30 setup.

If your signal in is crap, then the best bass amp in the world can't do much about it.

98% ..IMO..of people's problem with getting a sound is because the initial signal in is poor.

Having said that.. a poor amp and cab will not help..but you stand more of a chance that way round than
a crap bass having to be cleaned-up sound-wise.