Why become a member? ×

Recruiting singers

Gust0o

Anyone got any tips?

I need to find a new one; preferably one who plays some guitar; who has a penchant for AC/DC, Black Spiders, et al.

As we found the last one by happenstance, none of us have ever really had to go looking. Does anyone have any tips for finding one - from advertising to auditioning, etc.

Based in York, if that helps any.

Many thanks BC!

Irrespective of genre, first place I'd start is your local hospital's Secure Unit. Thereafter, the usual round of websites (joinmyband, bandmix, formingbands), postcards in music shops and rhsal studios etc. Maybe hang around some jam nights and stalk likely candidates. Ask other bands if they've tripped over anyone in their travels, etc.

One trick I've used is to scope out other bands website 'wanted' ads and pm those who have posted replies. After a polite interval of course. :)

It's a long, grimy job but it has to be done.

Here's a couple of ideas you might not have considered.

A local band I know recruited a chap who's sung lead parts in an amateur musical theatre company (e.g Sound Pacific) but had an ambition to be a 'rawwk star'. He's got a superb voice and can project it really well (sung for years without being mic'd up) but he just can't stop doing the sweeping arm gestures!

Secondly, I've always thought that buskers would be a good source. If you find a good one they've got the chops and the confidence. I've often thought about giving a good one some cash in the hat and saying 'fancy singing with a band?'
Having lived in York I know you'll find a few good buskers.

Of course, you can hang out at Ikea. Anyone spending just a bit too long in front of the mirror displays is a likely recruit.

Wack a post up on here > [url="http://www.joinmyband.co.uk"]http://www.joinmyband.co.uk[/url] its free or you can pay a couple of pounds to make it stay at the top.

be prepared to sift through some delirious wannabes though...........some of the ones we had down.................sheesh!

My tip for the audition itself is be sure to record it so you can all listen back and find out how good your would-be stars actually are. If you have a 4-tracker or similarly equipped laptop and can have the vocal mic on its own, a mic or processed DI on their guitar and then maybe a stereo pair for everything else, so much the better. Aside from helping you to decide, it also helps the singer perform in that you can play up to normal volume where they can really sing-out. If a singer doesn't like the idea of being recorded at an audition, then that's an instant 'no' anyway - you can't be a shrinking wallflower fronting a rock band.

[quote name='4 candles' post='1280216' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:43 PM']avoid women singers

they are a f**king neusence![/quote]

Without wshing to appear sexist.... Amen, bro!

Advertise for a singer prepared to drive, lug gear (other than a Mic!) and (occasionally) sing...

At least that way they'll be useful (?)