Why become a member? ×

Shuker JJ Burnel P Bass

Raggy

Precision basses just really seem to work for me and the music I play, and I do own a couple, have tried several other brands and styles of bass, but always come back to these.

These are a CIJ, a MIM, a Franken and a couple of Squier CV's. All good basses in their own right, I feel. I have tried one of the new American P's and was quite impressed with it, and from reading a lot of posts, if you find a good'un these are very good basses.

So in a fit of GAS and self indulgence, I was thinking of getting a top of the range P Bass, but the price of the AM P's are pretty high and not [i]really[/i] that far off of something like a Shuker JJ Sig (who happens to be a big influence), and from the few posts I have read about these, they are a step above the Fenders.

I know they are only one pickup, one volume and one tone knob, but thats where I'm at, and thats all I need. So why not have a real pukka one :)

So any comments or advice on the Shuker would be most welcome.

Ta :)

Hi mate, have a chat with Marky L who owns my old one or Deep Thought, the other BC owner of a JJB (I think)

My recollection is:

very high quality hardware, wide but slim (comfy) neck, unfinished maple board (not heavily lacquered, which you may or may not prefer), reasonable weight (c.9 pounds), very punchy (custom wound) P pickup, beautifully put together, and with a gloriously thick gloss black coat of paint

Basically like a US Fender but better

[quote name='Clarky' post='1279434' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:25 AM']Hi mate, have a chat with Marky L who owns my old one or Deep Thought, the other BC owner of a JJB (I think)

My recollection is:

very high quality hardware, wide but slim (comfy) neck, unfinished maple board (not heavily lacquered, which you may or may not prefer), reasonable weight (c.9 pounds), very punchy (custom wound) P pickup, beautifully put together, and with a gloriously thick gloss black coat of paint

Basically like a US Fender but better[/quote]

Nice one mate, i will send a couple of messages out.
Cheers for the info.

I had an early Shuker JJB. With Roto rounds, nice action and played with a pick it sounded just like the the bass from Black and White. In the end it was too alive and aggressive for what I need today. My 18 year old self would have loved it though.

I also had a 2008 Maple/Black P that I thought sounded just as good.

Either got me in the ball-park of the JJB tone if I wanted it, with the Shuker just edging it but for a traditional, warmer P tone I would go with the Fender.

It's funny, the first 3 Stranglers albums (the ones that defined the JJ tone) were from an alder and rosewood bass.

Been to see Jon today. There's an almost finished JJB there. Beautifully made bass, light (well, a small car would be lighter than my Shuker 6 string) and very classy looking. I've earmarked one for myself when I can afford it.

Id like to chime in now with my large experience with the 2008- American Standards:

Advantages: Tone, consistent weight, excellent case (I think all instruments should come with a proper hardcase, and these really are the best Ive seen) better colours/guards for the current crop, bridge, light tuners, overall feel, pickups, fingerboard (especially the rosewood), necks.

Disadvantages: New higher pricing, (although a Lakland P is about £950 and is not cased and is made in the Cort factory) slightly too thin finish on some colours (white seems a little too thin for me, but it still looks great!) inconsistent QC, (Ive played around 8-9 and owned about 3-4, and Ive kept one which is my favourite P of all time).

If you get a well made AS, and its at a fair price (you can offer lower than the website price) then it will serve you very well.

Personally, the sunburst/tort/rosewood and white/tort/rosewood are perfect to me.

Ive thought about a 'boutique' or custom P, but I think the P is one of those basses that Ill stick with Fender for. P/J, 5 string Js, etc, fair enough, check out the boutique gear, but the USA P is a very good instrument and much cheaper.

Edited by Musicman20

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1281113' date='Jun 24 2011, 03:17 PM']I dont really like black at all unless I have to. Jon should make a White/rosewood/tort version :)[/quote]

You mean like the [url="http://www.shukerguitars.co.uk/pbassgal.htm"]Simon Rix signature bass[/url]?

I bet John would make a white JJB if you asked him to.

• 1 year later...

Just took ownership of "Suite 16" My one-off (Serial number "16") Shuker JJB PBass. The Black Headstock, rare Rosewood board and mirror plate was my personal request, and as it was to be a "Special one off" Jon agreed! It plays like the best pbass ever, and tomorrow I shall get to hear it at volume... I'll let you know! Edited by GremlinAndy

He kept back serial number 16 for a special bass (I think for JJ himself) but was good enough to let me have it as this is my third Shuker. (The mirror plate is purely because I'm playing Lizzy stuff at the moment. I am getting a black plate made when I take it back in 6 months for a service.)

Edited by GremlinAndy

[quote name='GremlinAndy' timestamp='1347660848' post='1803889']
He kept back serial number 16 for a special bass (I think for JJ himself) but was good enough to let me have it as this is my third Shuker. (The mirror plate is purely because I'm playing Lizzy stuff at the moment. I am getting a black plate made when I take it back in 6 months for a service.)
[/quote]

Quality! I`m sure that bass is going to sing/growl, many congrats.

Man alive! Rehearsed it today... Sounds brill. Plug n go. Sounded great without fannying... And the most even tone across the entire bass I've ever experienced! Top of the neck on the G string still sounds big and fat and the big open E isn't swampy, it's crisp and tight... Totally went straight to the top of my go-to bass list.
I can highly reccommend this bass if anone is fence sitting... It has exceeded my expectations by quite a margin.