Why become a member? ×

8 string ACG Build

mcgraham

Details discussed. Deposit going down shortly. Specs here.

8 strings
Set neck
Tefano body style (similar to Skelf singlecut)
Alder body
3 piece maple neck
Ebony fingerboard
Macassar ebony top (matching headstock - pic below)
[attachment=83248:IMG_5247.jpg]
Fanned fret (28.5" to 25.5" - closer to guitar in its config)
Tuned: EAD/ADGBE (basically two courses of strings: EAD is the lowest 3 of a 4 string bass, ADGBE is top 5 of a standard 6 string guitar)
Two separate pickup systems (P-style HB for bass side; 2 x P90 in soapbar casings for guitar side)
Separate controls and outputs (volume, tone and P-retro for bass side; volume, tone, pickup selector for guitar; switch to move from separated stereo outs to single mono out)

I decided to go with ACG because I like his style, he is based in Britain, and is one of the few luthiers who has experience with basses AND guitars AND extended range basses... though this is arguably more of an ERG. This is basically my first true ERB/ERG and is based on Charlie Hunter's Novax guitars and current Traugott guitar.

Expected wait time is about a year, but I'm in no rush.

Edited by mcgraham

Cheers man! Me too. It'll be a while before I get my grubby mitts on it, but all the more time to get my chops in shape for this monster. I've been a bassist and then a guitarist almost from day one of learning an instrument, so have always had divided loyalties - wanting to control the groove with a bass, but also wanting to control the harmony and melody with guitar, and never being able to do both to the extent I wanted whether or guitar or bass. I've always wanted an instrument that successfully combines the ranges of guitar and bass, a guitar equivalent of a 'grand piano' if you will, and this will be a new instrument in its own right.

Coo, can't wait to see this one come together.

Interesting project... Alan will be in his element. I forsee some of the [i]most[/i] inventive swearing ever, lots of coffee, the occasional bit of scrap wood being hurled at the wall, more coffee, much head scratching and forehead rubbing... did I mention coffee and swearing?... all part of the ACG magic! And at the end of it all you'll have an instrument that is simply phenomenal.

Just wait til I ask him to build me a 4 and 8 twin neck for my next one...

[quote name='Scoop' post='1278300' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:04 AM']Coo, can't wait to see this one come together.

Interesting project... Alan will be in his element. I forsee some of the [i]most[/i] inventive swearing ever, lots of coffee, the occasional bit of scrap wood being hurled at the wall, more coffee, much head scratching and forehead rubbing... did I mention coffee and swearing?... all part of the ACG magic! And at the end of it all you'll have an instrument that is simply phenomenal.

Just wait til I ask him to build me a 4 and 8 twin neck for my next one...[/quote]

Sorry, I forgot to mention it's actually a 3 piece maple neck but with pinstripe laminates of frustration.

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1278301' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:05 AM']Entirely in blue gum burl. :)[/quote]

[quote name='skelf' post='1278313' date='Jun 22 2011, 11:15 AM']That is not funny[/quote]

Fret not, Alan. It'll be spanish cedar with a non-blue gum top. I'll leave the epoxy tops and all the wenge to another Dave.

When I initially sent Alan the specs, what do you think his first response was? "Interesting project" For a man who had been asked if he could build a multi-scale bass guitar and electric guitar hybrid with separate pickup systems and asymmetric hardware requirements... Alan was/is remarkably calm and seemingly unphaseable.

Alan also sent me loads of images of stunning tops for the instrument. My 2nd choice for the top was a beautiful flamed koa top, vibrant red and orange, but I felt that the macassar ebony would fit so well with this project I couldn't say no. I think we've cleared up all the major and minor planning details during the various emails. I imagine there'll be things down the development road that we'll need to consider, but that's the case with most builds.

Absolutely. I trust him to do a good job, we've collaborated on the important specs and I'm not fussed about the other stuff because he's a good luthier and it'll come good regardless. I'm happy to let him get on with it and receive it whenever it's ready. I am quite excited about the prospect of this though, because if it turns out even half as good as I'm hoping then I think my days of switching between guitar and bass every day could be over! *a man can dream*

[quote name='BottomEndian' post='1279704' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:16 AM']Advice: forget about it as much as possible. Then every update is like a little blast of unexpected awesomeness. :)[/quote]

Also, that removes the temptation to second-guess every spec choice you made, or to constantly think of new ideas to make it "even more awesome". :)

Fortunately I've mulled over and sat on the specs for this idea since around 2004/2005? There are/were very few things I wasn't already convinced on before emailing Alan. I tend to think things over quite intensively and for a long time before committing :)

Oh, if anything, I also tend to strip ideas out of custom builds... I think straightforward=awesome, hence why I've got a straight maple neck, no extra laminates, standard alder body, no back facing, no complex preamp, single bass pickup, etc.

Wow man, that's going to be one cool instrument!
Don't think you could've selected a better luthier for the project either.

I'll be watching this one very closely as a Charlie Hunter fan, an ACG fan and a bit of a bass/guitar geek :)

Eude

Thanks eude! I know it's a long way off but I'm really excited about it. I've basically got a year to source all the necessary bits for the rig. I've got the bass side sorted: amps (Berg IP stack) plus the effect board (OC2>Compressor (maybe)>Orbit). Guitar side is a little bit less concrete, but will definitely be a Marshall combo amp (set clean) plus the effect board (whatever that might be - pedal preference seems to shift on a daily-to-weekly basis). Will need to look into string options too.

When the instrument is complete I will probably travel up to Moffat to pick it up (provided Alan is OK with that), particularly as it would be somewhat unfair for him to build such an unusual instrument and not see the nutter who ordered it try to play the thing. So if any of you want to come along too (whenever that may be) you are more than welcome to.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1283709' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:12 AM']When the instrument is complete I will probably travel up to Moffat to pick it up (provided Alan is OK with that), particularly as it would be somewhat unfair for him to build such an unusual instrument and not see the nutter who ordered it try to play the thing. So if any of you want to come along too (whenever that may be) you are more than welcome to.[/quote]
If Alan can time it to coincide with the Moffat Bass Bash 2012, you'll have quite an audience! :)

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1283709' date='Jun 27 2011, 09:12 AM']Thanks eude! I know it's a long way off but I'm really excited about it. I've basically got a year to source all the necessary bits for the rig. I've got the bass side sorted: amps (Berg IP stack) plus the effect board (OC2>Compressor (maybe)>Orbit). Guitar side is a little bit less concrete, but will definitely be a Marshall combo amp (set clean) plus the effect board (whatever that might be - pedal preference seems to shift on a daily-to-weekly basis). Will need to look into string options too.

When the instrument is complete I will probably travel up to Moffat to pick it up (provided Alan is OK with that), particularly as it would be somewhat unfair for him to build such an unusual instrument and not see the nutter who ordered it try to play the thing. So if any of you want to come along too (whenever that may be) you are more than welcome to.[/quote]

Sounds like a good idea dude.
Keep me posted on when you might be going up and I'll see if I can tag along.
Annoyingly, popping over to ACG HQ isn't as easy from London as it was from Edinburgh :)

The Moffat Bass Bash in 2012 that Owain mentioned will be great though, I'll certainly be there, hopefully with my new Skelf SC 6er :)

Eude

Looking at the dates for the bass bash (early Feb?) I don't imagine that it's going to be possible for Alan to shave 4-5 months off the projected build time - nor would I want him to really, I'd rather he took his time and got it right than rushed it.

[quote name='mcgraham' post='1283780' date='Jun 27 2011, 04:15 AM']Looking at the dates for the bass bash (early Feb?) I don't imagine that it's going to be possible for Alan to shave 4-5 months off the projected build time - nor would I want him to really, I'd rather he took his time and got it right than rushed it.[/quote]

I don't think Alan would rush this build for Bass Bash, or do anything that would compromise the result. Still, if you make plans to go, you'd have a chance to play other ACGs, and possibly see the progress on yours in person, so be sure and get it on your calendar!