Why become a member? ×

Kenny Passarelli first to use fretless bass?

Annoying Twit

[quote name='Beedster' post='1278109' date='Jun 22 2011, 12:23 AM']plenty of guys (including that Jaco) had de-fretted their basses in the '60s

Not that it really matters :)[/quote]
It doesn't :) But I'll still post on it.

Some of Jaco's stories claim he did the defretting, others from him claim he didn't. I tend to believe him when he says he didn't.

In an interview with Ralphe Armstrong he says he was up for the Mahavishnu gig against Jaco but he got it as Jaco wasn't playing fretless yet and that was in 1974. I would expect that fretless electric bass is as old as fretted electric if not older.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1279409' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:53 AM']I saw KP play bass for Stephen Stills a few years ago. I shook Stills' hand at the end of the gig. A very memorable night.

Kenny did mention that his knob was as big as Heathrow Airport.[/quote]
Was Kenny wearing the same trousers as he had on at the Newcastle City Hall gig?

What a pair of troosers. Magnificent.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1279415' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:01 AM']Was Kenny wearing the same trousers as he had on at the Newcastle City Hall gig?

What a pair of troosers. Magnificent.[/quote]

The answer to this question is definately YES! They were indeed a magnificent pair of trousers. The inside leg measurement ia 18 inches I believe.

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1279419' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:08 AM']The answer to this question is definately YES! They were indeed a magnificent pair of trousers. The inside leg measurement ia 18 inches I believe.[/quote]
I've coveted them trousers ever since the day I laid eyes on them. Incredible.

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1279415' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:01 AM']Was Kenny wearing the same trousers as he had on at the Newcastle City Hall gig? What a pair of troosers. Magnificent.[/quote]
[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1279419' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:08 AM']The answer to this question is definately YES! They were indeed a magnificent pair of trousers. The inside leg measurement ia 18 inches I believe.[/quote]
[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1279425' date='Jun 23 2011, 10:16 AM']I've coveted them trousers ever since the day I laid eyes on them. Incredible.[/quote]
Intrigued beyond reason by this discourse, I have spent the day Googling sundry permutations to no avail. Where might I find images of Kenny Passarelli's magnificent trousers? If none are available, perhaps one of you might be kind enough to supply a more detailed written description.

I cannot rest until I know more.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1279685' date='Jun 23 2011, 02:59 PM']Intrigued beyond reason by this discourse, I have spent the day Googling sundry permutations to no avail. Where might I find images of Kenny Passarelli's magnificent trousers? If none are available, perhaps one of you might be kind enough to supply a more detailed written description.

I cannot rest until I know more.[/quote]
Behold!

(This doesn't really do them justice. In context.. a diminutive Italian donning these trews, surrounded by a sea of old blokes in Levis and shirts, was remarkable.)

When I posted the opening post, I never had any idea it would turn into a trousers thread. Even with all that science has discovered about the world that we live in, there are some things that transcend the ability of science to explain, and the twists and turns of thread evolution are one of them.

BTW: I once annoyed a music teacher when I was doing School Certificate (vaguely approximating GCSE) Music, by using the following Kenny Passarelli song as an example to describe "theme and variations".

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='1279709' date='Jun 23 2011, 03:21 PM']Behold!

(This doesn't really do them justice. In context.. a diminutive Italian donning these trews, surrounded by a sea of old blokes in Levis and shirts, was remarkable.)[/quote]

Fantastic! I did try and Google a picture at work to no avail earlier. You really had to be there for full effect.

Great name for a band btw from Skankdelvar whether he knows it or not,

[b]Kenny Passarelli's Magnificent Trousers[/b]

Edited by Mr Fudge

[quote name='hillbilly deluxe' post='1279402' date='Jun 23 2011, 09:44 AM']I recon that the very first electric bass guitar was fretless,but the maker decided to bang some frets in it to make it easier for failed guitarists to play.[/quote]

That'll be me then.

I will start a website saying that, as a failed guitarist, I was the first fretted bass player.

Even though I was born in 1965, I started playing electric bass in superb trousers in 1949..........

:)