Why become a member? ×

Band Website advice (from Oldgit)

OldGit

[quote name='OldGit' post='650765' date='Nov 10 2009, 03:51 PM']Thanks

Video killed the radio star on two guitars, bass 'n' drums?
Nice one, nice vocal too.[/quote]

The whole 2 guitar bass and drums is more out of necessity than anything else! I try my best on the vocal side of things, I'm representing repressed bass players all over the world!
You have a very long PM by the way... or at least you should have!

Cheers,

Jesse

• 3 months later...

[quote name='HMX' post='760320' date='Feb 28 2010, 11:45 PM']Some great advice on here.

I'm in my second year of my web design degree, and if anyone needs any help with a website or would like me to make one, then give me a shout :)[/quote]

Hi HMX
That's some offer!
I'd suggest you post a seperate thread in General.
However you may be innundated :rolleyes:

• 3 weeks later...

Just wanted to post something here in praise of Oldgit....
He has gone far above and beyond the call of duty with all the help he gave on my bands website. It's gone from "okay" to "pretty good if I do say so myself".
And, most importantly, I'm quite sure all this help has resulted in an increase in bookings for The Panoramics (my band).
I still can't understand where he gets all the spare time for his charitable contributions, but by now he must have amassed a huge reserve of good karma.... your definitely going to heaven Si!
Some day I hope to be able to pay him back in some way, because honestly it is so rare to come across a stranger on the internet (or in real life) who is willing to go out of their way to help out of the goodness of their own heart.
He offers top quality advice, no doubt which is worth a pretty penny if I'd been looking for someone's professional services. And have no doubt, Oldgit is definitely a professional when it comes to website usability. He knows his stuff.
I hope this doesn't come across too gushy, but if anyone out there gets a chance to work with or is offered help by Si (Oldgit), bite his hand off.

Just in-case your interested seeing the site all the work was done on, its this one:

[url="http://www.thepanoramics.com"]http://www.thepanoramics.com[/url]

Thanks

Jesse

Edited by Jesso

[quote name='Jesso' post='778323' date='Mar 18 2010, 09:48 AM']Just wanted to post something here in praise of Oldgit....
He has gone far above and beyond the call of duty with all the help he gave on my bands website. It's gone from "okay" to "pretty good if I do say so myself".
And, most importantly, I'm quite sure all this help has resulted in an increase in bookings for The Panoramics (my band).
I still can't understand where he gets all the spare time for his charitable contributions, but by now he must have amassed a huge reserve of good karma.... your definitely going to heaven Si!
Some day I hope to be able to pay him back in some way, because honestly it is so rare to come across a stranger on the internet (or in real life) who is willing to go out of their way to help out of the goodness of their own heart.
He offers top quality advice, no doubt which is worth a pretty penny if I'd been looking for someone's professional services. And have no doubt, Oldgit is definitely a professional when it comes to website usability. He knows his stuff.
I hope this doesn't come across too gushy, but if anyone out there gets a chance to work with or is offered help by Si (Oldgit), bite his hand off.

Just in-case your interested seeing the site all the work was done on, its this one:

www.thepanoramics.com

Thanks

Jesse[/quote]

oh, Gosh!
Thanks Jesse.
Glad it's working well and you make it to your objective of 100 weddings a year (now that's a challenge!)

• 1 month later...

[quote name='HMX' post='760320' date='Mar 1 2010, 12:45 AM']Some great advice on here.

I'm in my second year of my web design degree, and if anyone needs any help with a website or would like me to make one, then give me a shout :)[/quote]

How's it going?

• 2 weeks later...

Hi, I know your probably busy, but if you have time it would be great if you could skim your eye over the website I just made for my jazz band!
Our aim is get more party/wedding sort of gigs, but the website is mainly for people who have heard of us by word of mouth, and just want to take a closer look, however more google traffic would be great! :)

[quote name='Pkomor' post='828019' date='May 4 2010, 11:06 PM']Hi, I know your probably busy, but if you have time it would be great if you could skim your eye over the website I just made for my jazz band!
Our aim is get more party/wedding sort of gigs, but the website is mainly for people who have heard of us by word of mouth, and just want to take a closer look, however more google traffic would be great! :)[/quote]

Sure.
I'll need a link though ... :rolleyes:

Edit: is it [url="http://www.funktion-jazz.co.uk/"]FunKtion?[/url]

If it is then there's loads of tips and points in this thread already that you'll benefit from.
Have a read right through then we can start from a long way in and talk specifics for your site rather than the general stuff already covered ..
OK?

Edited by OldGit

• 4 weeks later...

A note on Testimonials.

I go on and on about getting good testimonials and quotes from happy punters onto your function band website.
Here's why:

I had a punter come back to me this week after I'd suggested a few ways of finding other bands as we were already booked for her date.
She was asking me about another band she was considering to see if we knew them [b]"because they have no testimonials on their website" [/b].
They have a 10 year history, 3 albums and a 5 year diary full of gigs and events like hers but no testimonials so she didn't trust them. :)
She came to me for reassurance.

That's what the testimonials are for, of course. It's the next best thing to a personal recommendation.

Remember the best testimonials are the ones from punters like the ones you want to attract.
So if you want weddings have wedding testimonials,; Parties? Party testimonials, Services functions? testimonials from services gig organisers .. etc

The best way to get testimonials is to ask for them. Email the client right after the gig and say something like "thanks! that was fun. I hope everything went OK with you"
They will probably email back a nice message you can edit into a good testimonial (with their permission, of course)
Do that every time and you'll soon have a good set.

Edited by OldGit

Absolutely brilliant insight there OldGit, thanks very much.

I'm working on a website myself with a web designer and being able to go in with a more sturdy idea of things to pick his brains about or what should definately go into the layouts and designs can never be a bad thing.

Cheers,
Ben.

[quote name='BenTunnicliffe' post='858618' date='Jun 6 2010, 01:37 AM']Absolutely brilliant insight there OldGit, thanks very much.

I'm working on a website myself with a web designer and being able to go in with a more sturdy idea of things to pick his brains about or what should definately go into the layouts and designs can never be a bad thing.

Cheers,
Ben.[/quote]

You are welcome Ben
If you let me loose on your prototypes when ready I'll have a look.
OG

[quote name='OldGit' post='819798' date='Apr 26 2010, 07:11 PM']How's it going?[/quote]
Hey, sorry I haven't responded - forgot to check this thread!

Things are good, and I can look at more website work now. I've just finished my six exams so I'm having a bit of a rest then back to work :)

[quote name='HMX' post='861700' date='Jun 9 2010, 12:31 AM']Hey, sorry I haven't responded - forgot to check this thread!

Things are good, and I can look at more website work now. I've just finished my six exams so I'm having a bit of a rest then back to work :)[/quote]

Anyone take you up on your kind offer?

• 1 month later...

[quote name='clcheapshoes520' post='893442' date='Jul 13 2010, 09:15 AM']I can't see the messages[/quote]

I suppose it's a bit daft to ask what messages you can't see as, if you can't see them you'll not know but...
Can you elucidate a little?

What can you not see that you are expecting to see?
Thanks

[quote name='geoffbassist' post='894299' date='Jul 13 2010, 11:59 PM']Just read (and re read) most of this thread and it's a fantastic resource!
I'm in the process of sorting out a website and this has been a huge help

thanks OG :-)
cheers Geoff[/quote]

You are welcome and thanks for your kind words. Nice to knwo it's working.

Just PM me if you need anything specific or an objective view on your design etc...

• 1 month later...

[quote name='OldGit' post='895236' date='Jul 14 2010, 11:48 PM']You are welcome and thanks for your kind words. Nice to knwo it's working.

Just PM me if you need anything specific or an objective view on your design etc...[/quote]

Si,

I'm so sad I never got to thank you in person. You'll be missed terribly.

Jesse

• 3 weeks later...

It's really great that Si helped a lot of people with this thread.

I'm on the third year of my web design degree so if anyone needs any advice - just shout. I feel I should try and follow in his footsteps to an extent.

Edited by HMX

• 1 month later...

This is some really excellent information! I never chatted with you Oldgit, but there is definitely some of your spirit still working in BC.

I've been doing SEO for a few years now as part of my job, our site gets 1500 visitors a day on average. We're highly ranked, totally independent, and never pay for any advertising. If anyone would like any additional assistance, I'd be honoured to add my offer of help to this thread gratis. Feel free to PM me, and make use of my very boring skills. :)