Why become a member? ×

This is NOT a "what's the best bass for metal" question!

Evil Undead

However, I guess it's along similar lines. Please don't bite me!

Anyway, I'm curious. If you went to see a metal band, and the bassist was playing a white Squier P bass, would you think (s)he was any less metal?

Also, if you were auditioning a bassist, would you turn them down for playing the above bass?

I'm talking more death metal, black metal or thrash, rather than nwobhm or hair metal.

As long as it's not a Daisy Rock Flower it shouldn't matter too much. Black is preferable, but not a prerequisite. I was in a metal band (thrashy) and used both a Stingray (natural) and a Jazz (sunburst).

To a degree - it's refreshing for it not to be a black bass in such a band, shows that the player doesn't put their image above what they want to play.

[quote name='Stag' post='1273553' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:48 AM']Not at all. What it sounded like would be my interest!

Obviously some basses "look" more metal than others, but Steve Harris has got away with using a Precision for quite some time now...[/quote]

just what i was going to say !

Hell, I used to play metal with a Wal (and not even a painted one :)).

I think if image is the prerequisite then I black precision or maybe a BC Rich (but not the Warlord or anything too spiky, imo) or maybe an Explorer style.

But really all I'd care about it was the music good.

[quote name='Evil Undead' post='1273548' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:45 AM']However, I guess it's along similar lines. Please don't bite me!

Anyway, I'm curious. If you went to see a metal band, and the bassist was playing a white Squier P bass, would you think (s)he was any less metal?

Also, if you were auditioning a bassist, would you turn them down for playing the above bass?

I'm talking more death metal, black metal or thrash, rather than nwobhm or hair metal.[/quote]

:) seriously

No, I would not care. I find a P-bass very "neutral" in the looks dept and a breath of fresh air against all that black.

Play a daisy Rock, and you'll get hired before you play a note. :)

Ok what really happened to you to prompt this thread?

Of course these things matter, but only to narrow minded people who like to think things should only be how they see them, and mostly you can't second guess that

At the end of the day good playing on whatever bass you have should win most people over regardless of what style or cultural group we are talking about

[quote name='lojo' post='1273876' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:08 PM']At the end of the day good playing on whatever bass you have should win most people over regardless of what style or cultural group we are talking about[/quote]
True, but things don't always work out like that.

If you flip the proposition and the question becomes "would you blank an auditionee from your vanilla covers / ploddy blues band because they turned up with spiky black axe of doom with skull pot-knobs and a 'police line' strap" then our answers might become a little more uneasy.

Thing about bands is that image is important to a [i]certain[/i] degree. At mates' level, maybe not so much. But if gigging, one should always style oneself on one's audience, adding about 10% more in order to stand out a bit. IMO.

Then again, I recall Jon Bon Jovi threatening his bass player with the sack unless he undertook a course of liposuction in the thigh / arse area. Which seems a bit steep to me but there you go.

I guess in the same way you wouldn't use a newer B.C Rich bass with the word 'death' inlaid in your fretboard in an indie rock-type band, you shouldn't be using a Hofner Beatle bass in a metal band. With that in mind, I'm sure your P-Bass is absolutely fine, providing it's in drop F#.

Edited by risingson

[quote name='Bilbo' post='1273555' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:50 AM']Spill some blood on it and you'll be fine.[/quote]

This.

Honestly, image does matter for a gigging band but a white P-bass is very inoffensive and I really don't think it would a problem

I play in a metal band and I play Precisions. Two of them are white, and one of those even has a white guard and maple board! Tell you what, though.. if you check the photos afterwards, it looks epic under the lights. Seriously, if a band turns you down at audition because you play the 'wrong' bass, they're going to be more hard work than they're worth - wish them well and find a different band.

[quote name='mcnach' post='1273865' date='Jun 18 2011, 03:58 PM'].....a breath of fresh air against all that black.[/quote]
I don't think "A breath of fresh air" is what most Death/Black Metal bands are really looking for. :)

I have a reasonable selection of basses to draw upon.
If the gig is not overly important, I will often select an "inappropriate" bass.
Pointy Westone for a folk gig...
Purple Yamaha for a Metal gig...
Warwick for an Indie gig...

However,

The Funk/Punk/Pop/Grate/Grind/Thrash (delete as applicable) is in your fingers/plectrum. What you play and how you play it is infinitely more important than your choice of bass, and particularly what colour it is. :)

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1273906' date='Jun 18 2011, 04:55 PM']If you flip the proposition and the question becomes "would you blank an auditionee from your vanilla covers / ploddy blues band because they turned up with spiky black axe of doom with skull pot-knobs and a 'police line' strap" then our answers might become a little more uneasy.[/quote]

Ha brilliant , yes it works less well that way round

With re to metal etc, Still pretty sure a p bass could be accepted in most situations

Having met some 'arses' of the UK metal scene, I wouldn't be surprised if this happened, but that doesn't make it right. IME, most guitarists know jack sh1t about bass (even those that purport to play a little), I think you could always blag an "it's the best sounding/playing bass in the world/for the money", even if they dont like the shape. If they don't like the sound for the band, then that I understand somewhat.

The only 'metal' bands that would give a toss about the appearance of the bass would be the trendy-arse, whiney emo metal - and that's only jumped up production line pop music anyway.
Any metal band worth their salt wouldn't give a monkey's. This whole thing about all metal bassists playing black basses (or worse, blood-splattered) is a cliche at best.
Examples - Opeth's bass player used Fender Marcus Miller basses for years, now plays Sandberg. The guy from Fear Factory played modified Roscoe Beck basses. And this:

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCduKrF5Zc&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SSCduKrF5Zc...feature=related[/url]

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1274185' date='Jun 18 2011, 10:09 PM']Examples - Opeth's bass player used Fender Marcus Miller basses for years, now plays Sandberg.[/quote]

Completely unimportant point, but he's back to the Marcus Miller in their latest live vids. I'm kind of glad, thinking that Mendez's bass looked really cool is how I first discovered Marcus Miller :)