Why become a member? ×

How much of what you play do you also listen to?

paul, the

Sorry if the poll is confusing. I'm about as coherant as the rear end of an '80s Marshall bass head.

What I'm trying to ask is:

Is most of what you play/practice/enjoy playing in a band - the same kind of music you like to listen when you're on your own/chillin' out/makin' love/cooking dinner ?

If you like to listen to different music in different situations as I do - try to use your favourite genre.

Just interested to see a statistic.

Cheers,

Paul.

(I hope the poll works, I apolygise for any spelling or grammar mistakes?)

Remember the badly used 'most' - if you play along to your favourite song to listen to once a week, and that's a relatively small amount - that's a no.

Me and my drummer are both big Soul fans so we started a Soul band together to play the music we like to listen to.
In the past I've played music that I wouldn't normally listen to and still thoroughly enjoyed it, the fact that I'm playing is the important thing for me, playing music I really like is a bonus.

I choose cake over death

Currently I'm between bands so the answer to question 1 if definately yes - I'm still jamming with the guitarist from the last band and we have similar tastes. Very different story when it was a 'band' - we quickly ended up playing the lowest common denominator songs that no one really liked before we broke up on musical (and just about every other kind of) differences.

Question 2 - death ....... no cake ......... hang on, this is a hard one..

In the past when I was in "serious" bands I would say that the music I was creating was what I wanted to listen to but didn't quite exist in the form I really wanted (or if it did I hadn't yet discovered a band doing exactly what I wanted to hear). It was a mix of a whole load of different styles (pop/rock/tecno/dance) picking what I liked from each and trying to find a way of mixing it all together that worked.

At the moment I'm playing in what I would call a "fun" band. We do 75% original and 25% covers (but in our own style rather than copies). It's upbeat guitar based pop with blues/rock and some jazzy leanings. I have a lot of fun playing (and it stretches me more as player than pervious bands did) and seeing people up and dancing to the music pretty much from the first song of the gig (something that never happened with the serious bands no matter how dancy the music was) but I'm not entirely sure if I would buy a CD of our music if I wasn't one of the musicians on it.

Right now if I was going to be creating the sort of music I most enjoy listening to, it would once again be some weird hybrid this time of IDM and avant jazz (think Efterklang and Lali Puna meet Triosk)...

And finally - death by cake?

Edited by BigRedX

I listen to a fair bit of what I play, but not as much as my band mates and I listen to more of other types of music myself. However I greaty enjoy what I play and I enjoy writing what I play.

What kind of cake are we talking about? If it's chocolate brownies then yes, if it's Xmas cake, then that is death.

I think everyone should strive to be in their own favourite band.

Whether it's originals, writing songs you prefer to listen to to anything else, or covers, where you feel your version of a particular song is the best, that's always something to strive for, even if you don't always achieve it.

Cake please. :)

The music I play is very different to the stuff I love to listen to. I like early 90's-rock, like RHCP and Primus. But the band I'm playing is is very blues influenced. But I've really enjoyed my time there and have been exposed to some great bluesmen including Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters to name a few. So I don't mind it at all.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='14587' date='Jun 9 2007, 12:44 PM']In the past when I was in "serious" bands I would say that the music I was creating was what I wanted to listen to but didn't quite exist in the form I really wanted (or if it did I hadn't yet discovered a band doing exactly what I wanted to hear). It was a mix of a whole load of different styles (pop/rock/tecno/dance) picking what I liked from each and trying to find a way of mixing it all together that worked.

At the moment I'm playing in what I would call a "fun" band. We do 75% original and 25% covers (but in our own style rather than copies). It's upbeat guitar based pop with blues/rock and some jazzy leanings. I have a lot of fun playing (and it stretches me more as player than pervious bands did) and seeing people up and dancing to the music pretty much from the first song of the gig (something that never happened with the serious bands no matter how dancy the music was) but I'm not entirely sure if I would buy a CD of our music if I wasn't one of the musicians on it.[/quote]

You still have a great time playing it though don't you? - especially with the audience responding so well.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='14587' date='Jun 9 2007, 12:44 PM']And finally - death by cake?[/quote]

:)

[quote name='Russ' post='14591' date='Jun 9 2007, 12:54 PM']I think everyone should strive to be in their own favourite band.

Whether it's originals, writing songs you prefer to listen to to anything else, or covers, where you feel your version of a particular song is the best, that's always something to strive for, even if you don't always achieve it.

Cake please. :huh:[/quote]

I most enjoy playing Motown and Soul. But my soul (in a spiritual sense) lies in experimental blues-rock and folk.

The question isn't aimed directly at you, but, sometimes I wander if I'm defying nature just because of what's more fun to play on bass. And I wonder which I would perform better?

[quote name='Platypus' post='14594' date='Jun 9 2007, 01:04 PM']When I looked at the poll results just now it was 10 - nil in favour of cake over death. Reckon the Goth's must be still in bed...[/quote]

Just wait until the cake runs out. :huh:

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='14632' date='Jun 9 2007, 02:41 PM']The music I play is very different to the stuff I love to listen to. I like early 90's-rock, like RHCP and Primus. But the band I'm playing is is very blues influenced. But I've really enjoyed my time there and have been exposed to some great bluesmen including Jeff Beck, Stevie Ray Vaughan, Buddy Guy and Muddy Waters to name a few. So I don't mind it at all.[/quote]

If you like Muddy, you'll like Howlin' Wolf.

---

That reminds me, has anyone had there music tastes changed substantially by being in a band? That would be interesting to know.

--

paul.

Edited by paul, the

[quote name='paul, the' post='14646' date='Jun 9 2007, 03:19 PM']If you like Muddy, you'll like Howlin' Wolf.[/quote]

I've heard of him but not checking him out properly. I'll see if there's any of his stuff on YouTube and Myspace. Thanks! :)

[quote name='s_u_y_*' post='14668' date='Jun 9 2007, 04:00 PM']I've heard of him but not checking him out properly. I'll see if there's any of his stuff on YouTube and Myspace. Thanks! :)[/quote]

np, Muddy is still King as I'm not a BB fan. Wolf's "Bluebird" is the song I always used to want to run home from school for.

I was a weird 15 year old, not concentrating on maths because of pining for Chicago blues.

[quote name='paul, the' post='14646' date='Jun 9 2007, 03:19 PM']You still have a great time playing it though don't you? - especially with the audience responding so well.
paul.[/quote]

Yes, absolutely! - I guess I didn't put that across properly in my post...

On paper the band I play in at the moment only has a little crossover with the music I buy and listen to. However in practice with all the different influence we all bring to the music we manage to end up with something we all enjoy playing and the audience apprently enjoys too! I suppose it appeals to the music hybridiser in me to figure out how to add bass lines inflenced by either Peter Hook or Mick Karn to music that would otherwise be mostly poppy blues-rock and still make it a seamless and appropriate part of the song.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='14683' date='Jun 9 2007, 04:31 PM']Yes, absolutely! - I guess I didn't put that across properly in my post...[/quote]

Oh you did, it was more rhetorical reiteration.

[quote name='BigRedX' post='14683' date='Jun 9 2007, 04:31 PM']On paper the band I play in at the moment only has a little crossover with the music I buy and listen to. However in practice with all the different influence we all bring to the music we manage to end up with something we all enjoy playing and the audience apprently enjoys too! I suppose it appeals to the music hybridiser in me to figure out how to add bass lines inflenced by either Peter Hook or Mick Karn to music that would otherwise be mostly poppy blues-rock and still make it a seamless and appropriate part of the song.[/quote]

That sounds like a great situation. I bet you bring something a little special to the table with those influences.

[quote name='paul, the' post='14646' date='Jun 9 2007, 03:19 PM']---

That reminds me, has anyone had there music tastes changed substantially by being in a band? That would be interesting to know.

--

paul.[/quote]
I started listening to a lot more powercheese metal because I joined a power metal-ish band.

These days I listen to very little of what we play, except for maybe Green Day and Snow patrol, reason being, a lot of what we do is not my particular thing (I've only recently joined this band) I'm in the process of adding tracks that are more my taste and no, I won't tell you what we do as I don't think I can handle the embarassment, so don't ask. :)

The last band I was in did a lot more of my kind of stuff (Blues rock, funk etc) so I used to love listening to what we did.

I play in a couple of similar ish bands, both on a funky/jazzy kind of thing (though one's cheesy and one's serious), and I listen to a lot of that kind of thing. However I also listen to loads of indie rock, reggae, electronica, so there's plenty of my musical bases not being covered by my current bands. A friend joins bands playing styles that he rarely listens to in an attempt to broaden his musical horizons, so does everything from ceilidh bands to latin jazz. But then he's semi-professional, so does little else apart from play, I haven't got the time for that level of commitment.