Why become a member? ×

BILL LAWRENCE {{HI-OUTPUT}} EB-60 P-BASS PICK-UP

Right...
Purchased from Dusty's Guitars eBay store (http://stores.ebay.com/Dustys-Guitar-Kingdom)
for £25.50 + £6.50 P&P, I hoped for £32 I'd grabbed a bargain.. Advertised as the Bass version of the legendary Lawrence L-500XL as used by the late Dimebag Darrell and Dave Mustaine, I thought this bladed pickup might just have the bollocks to put my Guitarist and Drummer back in their seats.. They're both LOUD!!!
It arrived after just over a week with a Custom's surcharge to pay!! £12.31 later it didn't seem so cheap, so I got home and unpacked it..

First question... Why do I have 3 wires coming from the pickup? Surely it's not active as it wasn't advertised as such.. I'll check the wiring diagram.. Oops.. There ain't one in the box.. Time for trial and error with the soldering iron..
I discovered the red cable worked best soldered to the rear of the tone control as an earth..
Black and white wires as per normal set-up for a P-Bass..
Back on with scratch plate and strings and time for a test...
What can I say? It's clear, powerful with tone to spare.. The bass thumps and the treble sings.. It makes the stock MIM pickup sound like an under-water fart.. I now have turbo P-Bass!!
Was it worth £32 + £12.31 customs surcharge? You bet..
I now have a bass sound I'll be happy to record our next album with.. I can't wait til next weeks gig though.. That's gonna be a BELTER!!!
As a recap...
Bass 9/10 (I'm trying to be objective here.. It's 10/10 for me!!)
Mids 7/10
Treble 8/10
This pickup has got classic P-Bass tones in spades.. For a 'Punk Rock' player like me it's got JJ Burnell and Matt Freeman as well as Dee Dee... It's also capable of a nice clean tone that would suit Reggae and Soul.. I'm very happy with what it's done for a Standard MIM Fender P-Bass.. Well worth a go!!
Bargy Bass..

Thanks!!
I'll have to do more...
In fact I'll add to this one after today's gig in Sheffield..
It'll be going thru an Ashdown ABM 300 2x10 with an
extra 15" cab hopefully..
Let's hope it vibrates a few heads!!!

Edited by BargyBass

• 2 weeks later...

Just wanna say that the pick-up kicked ass live..
Funnily enough it was hard to get used to such a clear sound
to start with, so I had to dial in some more gain on the amp.
Only the combo and no extension cab, but everyone was
impressed by the sound and our guitarist seemed pleased!!
I will be trying to add a bit more grit with the old Marshall
Guv'nor II pedal in future I think.. Having tried it out at home,
it seemed to be very compatable which was not the case with
the stock pick-up I replaced..
Overall a 9/10 for this pickup from me so far..

• 1 month later...

This could be really interesting to me!
I've been thinking recently that i'd be really interested in a Passive pickup that has the same output as an active circuit.

Would you say the output is similar to an active bass, i'm not fussed about EQ etc, just flatout output without distorsion

Cheers mate

Si

• 7 months later...

Well.. It's still on my P-bass and I'm still enjoying the hell out of it..
It was great in the studio last weekend and impressed the guy running the place and producing our album..
As for do they sound like an active pickup?
I don't like the sound of active pickups personally and chose not to go that route, but get passive pickups that where better than the stock pickups and not the generic seymour duncan's that everyone puts on their Precision.. The tone is brighter, louder and clearer than the stock pickups providing me with a mud-free sound.. In fact I have to use my trusty Marshall Guvnor 2 pedal to give me some dirt live and in the studio..
If you play Punk/Hardcore/Rock I'd recommend this pickup.. With the blades I'm always getting asked about them and other Bass players ask about my sound and admire my modifications to the old MIM Precision.. I'm still very happy with a great purchase!!

Oh.. Just checked and they're still selling them here!!
[url="http://cgi.ebay.com/BILL-LAWRENCE-HI-OUTPUT-EB-60-P-BASS-PICK-UP_W0QQitemZ250227821379QQihZ015QQcategoryZ41428QQcmdZViewItemQQ_trksidZp1742.m153.l1262"]http://cgi.ebay.com/BILL-LAWRENCE-HI-OUTPU...1742.m153.l1262[/url]

Edited by BargyBass

• 2 years later...
  • 2 weeks later...