Why become a member? ×

Looking for a small 1x10

ConnorHamilton

Hey guys,

I'm looking to get a small 1x10 cab to go with my newly acquired GK MB200. The two I've found that I think would do the job are:

Eden EX110 (About £170)
Promethean P110C (About £239)

Anyone got an experience with these?

There just going to be used for home practice and the occational Acoustic/house jam with a couple of mates.

Any input or other suggestions in this price range would be great.

Thanks,

Connor

Ibanez looks like a good bet, neo driver so it'll be nice and light. I'm not aware of anyone on here who uses one on it's own and not with the combo though so it's hard to judge it's merits as a standalone cab.
I would still love to try one though!

Also you may find some inspiration in this thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129174&hl=tiny+little+rigs"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...iny+little+rigs[/url]

If you don't require silly volume levels then there's actually quite a lot of choice.

I have the Eden EX112 and use it for the same things as you're suggesting. I personally really like it as a compact practice rig with my Little Mark II or Orange TB500, and given the volume it throws out I'd have no issues taking it out to play an acoustic gig. The only bad point is that it has a single very heavily recessed jack socket for hooking up - I'd have preferred a plate with at least the option of a speakon. The other thing to note is that due to the design of the speaker itself, we found it very difficult to get a pleasing close-mic'd sound from it when I took it into the studio; we eventually gave up and used a different cab. I never tried the 110, as I was naughty and bought the 112 sight-unseen from Germany as they just weren't readily available in the UK at that point, but aside from lacking a bit of low end of the 112, I'd expect it to be decent.

[quote name='Musicman20' post='1271152' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:46 AM']I have no direct experience, but my money would be on the Ibanez.

I do hear great things about the combo, and the cab looks TINY![/quote]

Yeah I'm going off feedback from the combo!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1271164' date='Jun 16 2011, 10:52 AM']Ibanez looks like a good bet, neo driver so it'll be nice and light. I'm not aware of anyone on here who uses one on it's own and not with the combo though so it's hard to judge it's merits as a standalone cab.
I would still love to try one though!

Also you may find some inspiration in this thread:
[url="http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=129174&hl=tiny+little+rigs"]http://basschat.co.uk/index.php?showtopic=...iny+little+rigs[/url]

If you don't require silly volume levels then there's actually quite a lot of choice.[/quote]

Thanks I'll have a look!

[quote name='chris_b' post='1271194' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:13 AM']The Epifani 110 always got great reviews, but there aren't many about.

For a stand alone cab I prefer a 112 to a 110. The sound is bigger, fuller and has more tone. Either of the Aguilar 112's sounds great.[/quote]

I would love an Epifani! Theres a PS112 at the gallery but it's £339! I have been considering holding off for this!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1271201' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:16 AM']Read the blown EA 10" speaker thread first..[/quote]

I reckon 140w into either 250/300w cab would be ok?

[quote name='chris_b' post='1271214' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:19 AM']I've just remembered, I know someone getting a fantastic sound out of a single TC RS112.[/quote]

Great cabs but just a bit pricey! I wish they did a 1x12 in the BC series!!

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1271227' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:31 AM']I have the Eden EX112 and use it for the same things as you're suggesting. I personally really like it as a compact practice rig with my Little Mark II or Orange TB500, and given the volume it throws out I'd have no issues taking it out to play an acoustic gig. The only bad point is that it has a single very heavily recessed jack socket for hooking up - I'd have preferred a plate with at least the option of a speakon. The other thing to note is that due to the design of the speaker itself, we found it very difficult to get a pleasing close-mic'd sound from it when I took it into the studio; we eventually gave up and used a different cab. I never tried the 110, as I was naughty and bought the 112 sight-unseen from Germany as they just weren't readily available in the UK at that point, but aside from lacking a bit of low end of the 112, I'd expect it to be decent.[/quote]

Thanks for the input! Don't think I'd be micing up and if I found myself in a gigging situation I'd just buy another!!

[quote name='JTUK' post='1271201' date='Jun 16 2011, 11:16 AM']Read the blown EA 10" speaker thread first..[/quote]

As long as the OP knows what situations the majority (if not all) 1x10 cabs are suitable for then there's not a problem. He just wants it for acoustic jams and home practice which they are perfectly suited to.
It's tempting to get carried away and start pushing it but that's gonna cost you a replacement driver sooner or later!

Chances are even the 140w amp the OP is looking at using is going to drive the majority of these cabs to their limits if cranked, my Superfly at 8ohms can drive my EA cab to distortion.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1271325' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:33 PM']Get a Celestion neo 10" from Lean Business ~£62 and make your own cab. I got one from Watford Valves when they had an offer on for ~45. I use it for similar purposes to you, its fine![/quote]

Yeah I was looking at this mate, Been trying to find somewhere that sells empty cabs with no luck. I looked at the BFM site for plans but i've got more chance of losing an arm than ending up with a functioning cab!

[quote name='lemmywinks' post='1271308' date='Jun 16 2011, 12:23 PM']As long as the OP knows what situations the majority (if not all) 1x10 cabs are suitable for then there's not a problem. He just wants it for acoustic jams and home practice which they are perfectly suited to.
It's tempting to get carried away and start pushing it but that's gonna cost you a replacement driver sooner or later!

Chances are even the 140w amp the OP is looking at using is going to drive the majority of these cabs to their limits if cranked, my Superfly at 8ohms can drive my EA cab to distortion.[/quote]

Yeah mate you've got the idea. I have no plans of getting evicted so I'll be lucky if I drive it to half volume! Like I said, if I did start gigging again (highly unlikely), I'd by a second/bigger cab.

[quote name='JTUK' post='1271363' date='Jun 16 2011, 01:00 PM']I saw a Aguilar GS112..with horn, I think, on here the other day for £160....STEAL..!!!

That will do for starters and paired up - at a later date - you have a cab set-up that could cope with a very loud band, IME.[/quote]

Ruddy hell that is a good deal!

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1271531' date='Jun 16 2011, 02:24 PM']I built my own small ported cab with an Eminence 8" driver in it and it works fine for home practice and acoustic instrument levels. Also looks cool with my MB SD1200 driving it - rather like putting a V12 engine on a scooter.[/quote]

Haha great analogy. My uncle use to have a Cosworth powered Reliant Robin as a project so I know what you mean haha!

How did you go about building the box? Are you pretty handy with wood working? I'm fairly useless you see!

Connor

Hi Connor

I built the cab from 12mm ply - given that it was going to be small in size, weight wasn't going to be a problem and i could just butt and screw the panels together. I'm not a great woodworker but am reasonably able and have a good supply of power tools. I knocked it up in a morning and covered it in self adhesive carpet. The dimensions were a bit of quess work - I had the spec for the driver and used the volume given by the manufacturer for use as a bass driver in a ported cabinet. I used a tube port from Maplins, screwed a handle on it and Bob's your mother's brother!

Now, given the somewhat unscientific way i went about this it may be pure luck that it sounds as good as it does but i also suspect that unless you need to go very loud most haphazard designs with a decent driver will sound fine for low level practice. In a small room the bass extension is fine and will rattle the crockery nicely. I built it primarily so I would have a tiny rig i could use my gigging amp head with when practicing at home. I'll post some pics if anyones interested.

Martin

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1271607' date='Jun 16 2011, 03:00 PM']Hi Connor

I built the cab from 12mm ply - given that it was going to be small in size, weight wasn't going to be a problem and i could just butt and screw the panels together. I'm not a great woodworker but am reasonably able and have a good supply of power tools. I knocked it up in a morning and covered it in self adhesive carpet. The dimensions were a bit of quess work - I had the spec for the driver and used the volume given by the manufacturer for use as a bass driver in a ported cabinet. I used a tube port from Maplins, screwed a handle on it and Bob's your mother's brother!

Now, given the somewhat unscientific way i went about this it may be pure luck that it sounds as good as it does but i also suspect that unless you need to go very loud most haphazard designs with a decent driver will sound fine for low level practice. In a small room the bass extension is fine and will rattle the crockery nicely. I built it primarily so I would have a tiny rig i could use my gigging amp head with when practicing at home. I'll post some pics if anyones interested.

Martin[/quote]

Would love some pics mate, I was kind of half thinking about trying to build the cabinet first and if it came together ok, would buy the driver. It's just when it come to porting, bracing and batting... I get extremely lost!!!

Connor

[quote name='MartyBRebelMC' post='1272129' date='Jun 16 2011, 09:36 PM'][attachment=82858:P1020244.jpg][attachment=82862:P1020246.jpg][attachment=82861:P1020245.jpg][attach
ment=82860:P1020242.jpg]

pics as promised.. its a bit rough and ready but it does the job[/quote]

That looks great mate! If you don't mind me asking, how much was the build roughly!

Pretty much exactly what I'm looking for!!

The driver cost around £40 with postage and the wood and most of the fittings i had around from other projects but i suspect if you added it all up it would come to around another £40 so say £80ish for the total build. And that's often the problem with DIY projects they end up costing more than you think - and for another £90 you could have that rather nice Eden 1X10 cab which has a much higher power handling and probably isn't much bigger.

It was fun to have a bash at building it but thinking about it probably a secondhand Epifani, SWR or EBS 1x10 is the best bet and although a lot more expensive can be sold on for what you payed for them whereas a homebuild is really only worth what someone will give you for the driver secondhand.

Been reading this with interest as I needed the very same thing.
I suspect a lot of us don`t want to lug our larger cabinets about, and a small cab+lightweight head makes sense.
I went at it from a different angle.
I had a [url="http://shop.ebay.co.uk/i.html?_from=R40&_trksid=m570&_nkw=Rel+q50"]Rel Q50[/url] that I had rescued from a skip. The amp was shot.
I asked about for a 12" driver on this forum and MB1 stepped forward with a Delta 12A at a very reasonable price so I stuck it in.
Thanks MB1 for the Bonus Castors which are already bolted to my Ampeg 410!

Tried it with my LM II and wow. I was and am very pleased with the results, a warm tight sound with plenty of low end and a suprising amount of volume. I`d be tempted to use this in small pubs/bars etc if it was a folk/pop type gig.
Looks like this so far, I`ll prob trim it up with carpet grill and corners to look pretty later.

You can find the Rels on ebay quite often, very well made cabs, really solid.
As it`s a sealed cab/infinite baffle I`m toying with fitting a Maplins port to it and have a play with it just out of curiosity, if it fails I`ll block it off again.
MM