Why become a member? ×

Jazz neck feel with Precision sound

FourStrung

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1274888' date='Jun 19 2011, 04:17 PM']I've never even looked at a Yamaha bass before but the BB 414 looks very good value for money. Cheaper even than a CV Squier.
I'm going to look In to these a bit more.[/quote]

They are well worth a look and plus they are one of the sexiest looking basses if you get it in metallic orange!

As you might of noticed (due to my signature) I am a bit biased to Yamaha's, but thats only because they have one of the best build qualities and they make some of the best basses you can get.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1274909' date='Jun 19 2011, 04:35 PM']I've just seen a pic of a White one with matching headstock and block inlays. I can't believe I've not seen these before.

Time to sell a Squier I think.[/quote]

Think Tom1946 has a lovely Orange one for saloe at the moment.
Karl.

[quote name='rodl2005' post='1276610' date='Jun 21 2011, 06:41 AM']Fender Regie Hamilton Sig STD. MIM- great quality- Am STD P pup,Noisless J, active/passive. Wicked bass. Not pricey, well here at least.[/quote]

wow, another bass ive never looked in to before and it seem almost perfect.

• 5 months later...

I wanted the same thing, so I set about putting together a precision with a jazz neck, with the components of my choice, and within a reasonable budget.
I also put together a fretless jazz too.

I've included some pics, so you can see what can be achieved by an average DIY'er.

Here's what I used:

[i][b]Precision Bass[/b][/i]
Squier VM Body £40
Mighty Mite Jazz Neck with maple board £75
Wilkinson Tuners £24
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35
Wizard Thumper Pickup £50
Tortoiseshell pickguard £15
Total [b]£239[/b]

[i][b]Jazz Bass[/b][/i]
Mighty Mite Body £120
Mighty Mite Precision Neck with ‘Ebonal’ board £75
No-Name Deluxe Tuners £40
Gotoh 201 Bridge £35
EMG Active Pickups £110
Natural Ash with 'Tru-Oil' (gunstock oil) £8
Total [b]£388[/b]

As you can see, quite a big saving was made on the precision, because I only needed one pickup, and the body only cost me £40. I purchased the Squier Vintage Modified bass for £125 from ebay, I then sold on the neck, tuners, scratchplate and pickups for a total of £85. The body was in great condition, so no paint job was required.

Admittedly, building your own is not that cheap, but you do get the satisfaction of choosing the parts and look, and I must say, for a little over £600, I have two very nice basses, that play and sound as good as anything I have tried in the shops, including US Fenders.

[attachment=93648:P 3.jpg][attachment=93649:P 1.jpg][attachment=93650:P 2.jpg][attachment=93651:P 5.jpg][attachment=93652:P 6.jpg][attachment=93663:Jazz 3.jpg][attachment=93666:Jazz 1.jpg][attachment=93667:Jazz 2.jpg][attachment=93658:Jazz 6.jpg][attachment=93659:Jazz 7.jpg][attachment=93656:Jazz 4.jpg][attachment=93657:Jazz 5.jpg]

Edited by thebrig

• 2 weeks later...