Why become a member? ×

Anyone know who this is ?

blamelouis

[quote name='risingson' post='1269538' date='Jun 15 2011, 01:18 AM']It's funny how a bass player like him can rattle so many other people's cages. Slap is the easiest way of demonstrating quickly that you have some kind of talent to those who are unaware that what you're doing is nothing special. It's frustrating but I don't suppose he's doing anyone too much harm.[/quote]
Deafening people at trade shows is harming people, I think he seems a nice chap but can't
he just turn it down a notch or two?

I can pretty much do exactly what he's doing, at pretty much that speed too. But I've rather let it slip with age recently cause I've finally passed the need to show off stage. That said if my job offered me the chance to frequently show off I may do it on the odd occasion. But I'd make sure to labour the point that I know it's silly, and I know it's of little use heh heh. I'm an honest straight up show off deep down, but I live by the rule: 'there's always someone better who just doesn't feel like playin' tonight'.
I started to get fed up with the constant 'Do a slap solo' requests in superstition etc lol.
I appreciate the talent involved, but I also appreciate, and love funky slap and folks like Alain Caron, it does sound a bit nasty when delivered at full 'look at meeeeee!!' speed. Um. Like this video, but he may well have fessed up after the camera was off and said as much. Who knows:)
:)

[quote name='ficelles' post='1269496' date='Jun 15 2011, 12:26 AM']I reckon he's just taking the mick out of every slappin' and poppin' bass [i]branleur[/i] in da house by doing it 10 times better and 100m times faster...

ficelles[/quote]
Faster yes, but [i]better[/i]? Err, no.

Not sure what all the fuss is about. He's only doing what everybody was trying to do back in the mid to late eighties - bassist as typist. OK, he's twenty five years out of date but that's no reason to crucify the guy.

In this youtube generation we must be careful not to judge and condemn on the strength of a few out-of-context video clips. Those guys on here who have met him say that he's a nice guy but with a bit of a volume issue. Maybe he's slightly deaf or is unable to hear certain frequencies? :)

Move on I say. There are people far more deserving of a kicking than Mr Clusterf***.

I spoke to him briefly at the London show, cos I was interested in his bass. And as some have already said, he is a lovely bloke.

Slap is not my thing. But he was at the show working as a rep for Rotosound. Rotosound are famous for inventing round-wound strings, so as to get a bright, zingy tone. He isn't going to demonstrate that very well by playing Jamerson riffs, is he?

And at that show, he could have stayed completely silent, and the hall would still have been full of the racket of a thousand slappers.

[quote name='Rich' post='1269618' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:07 AM']Faster yes, but [i]better[/i]? Err, no.[/quote]

Somehow I don't think it was he himself who referred to him as the "best bassist in the world". Whatever that means.

[quote name='Conan' post='1269622' date='Jun 15 2011, 08:11 AM']Not sure what all the fuss is about. He's only doing what everybody was trying to do back in the mid to late eighties - bassist as typist. OK, he's twenty five years out of date but that's no reason to crucify the guy.

In this youtube generation we must be careful not to judge and condemn on the strength of a few out-of-context video clips. Those guys on here who have met him say that he's a nice guy but with a bit of a volume issue. Maybe he's slightly deaf or is unable to hear certain frequencies? :)

Move on I say. There are people far more deserving of a kicking than Mr Clusterf***.[/quote]

As we say in church, Amen!

[quote name='ThomBassmonkey' post='1269246' date='Jun 14 2011, 09:28 PM']As WOT said, it's Nigel Clutterbuck.

Tasteless sh*te. I was stood next to him for 2 days at the LBGS and apart from the fact he played that rubbish solidly for 2 days without a care for anyone else in the world, he doesn't seem to realise the volume on bass amps doesn't have to be on 11.

The worst part is it's interesting to watch for about 30 seconds, so as people filtered through, he always had a crowd which seemed to encourage him. It really wasn't enjoyable for 2 days straight.[/quote]
That is f***ing horrible pointless sh*t. Completely unmusical. Nothing whatsover in that is of any merit.

As said before, he's a nice bloke..... but this is horrendous sh*te.
I'm not sure how this style of playing is supposed to promote/advertise/sell Rotosound strings to the masses? If anything, from people I've spoken with, it has the opposite effect.... :)

Here is over 5 minutes of it! He makes funny faces too.

[i]"Nigel uses a technique he calls Rhythmsync where he confesses, notes are an optional extra!" [/i] Rhythmsync :)

Hear the total div in the background "Fahhahakin ell! Ahmazinh, Wahhh, brilliant!". I know what [i]he [/i]does in the evening.

[quote name='silddx' post='1270137' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:09 PM']Here is over 5 minutes of it! He makes funny faces too.

[i]"Nigel uses a technique he calls Rhythmsync where he confesses, notes are an optional extra!" [/i] Rhythmsync :)

Hear the total div in the background "Fahhahakin ell! Ahmazinh, Wahhh, brilliant!". I know what [i]he [/i]does in the evening.

[/quote]

I skipped to the end and it tells you what strings he was using just in case you are trying to mimic the sound :)

To me its kind of like doing 1000 keepups with a football, requires some skill yes, but boring to watch, where as one perfectly placed and weighted pass at the right moment is a thing of beauty

Edited by lojo

It's not Mr Clutterbuck's fault that succeeding generations of numpty punters, clueless exhibitors and - yes - goggle-eyed fanboys have decided that the mark of bass greatness is to attack the instrument in a way entirely inimical to its function, voice and range. It is upon [i]them [/i]that we must turn the shell-fire of our opprobrium.

His customers demand slap and Mr C does what he he has to do to put food on the table. That is justification enough.

And it is entirely possible to abhor a practise without vilifying the practitioner, but that leap would seem to be as far beyond the average BC-er as slap is beyond my competence.

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1270157' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:30 PM'][b]It's not Mr Clutterbuck's fault that succeeding generations of numpty punters, clueless exhibitors and - yes - goggle-eyed fanboys have decided that the mark of bass greatness is to attack the instrument in a way entirely inimical to its function, voice and range. It is upon [i]them [/i]that we must turn the shell-fire of our opprobrium.[/b]

His customers demand slap and [b]Mr C[/b] does what he he has to do to put food on the table. That is justification enough.

And it is entirely possible to abhor a practise without vilifying the practitioner, but that leap would seem to be as far beyond the average BC-er as slap is beyond my competence.[/quote]
You say that, and then you call him 'Mr C'. That is rather hypocritical don't you think?

:) :)

Edited by silddx

I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, someone has already pointed out that he's been in professional gigging bands with recording contracts. I doubt what he's doing in that vid has as much as 1% crossover to his style of playing in a band capacity yet we're all quick of the mark with a slagging. He's at a demo looking to attract attention for his employers and that's about it. I guess we can discuss whether that style is going to atract people or drive them away but to extrapolate this vid to his whole universe as a player seems a bit much. Maybe he's just saying 'Look at the stick these Rotosounds can take' for all we know. :)

Edited by KevB

Nige is a good guy, I've known him for a long time. The 'Clutterbucking' (and he's got his own entry in urbandictionary.com to prove it) is just a stunt, and it is does impress the, erm, impressionable, and of course there's no such thing as bad publicity*. There's a lot more to his playing than this, tho - he's a very talented bassist.

To stretch a footballing metaphor, if someone posted a link of Lionel Messi doing some keepy-uppy, it'd be an unwise move to conclude he's a crap footballer. I'd imagine just as keepy-uppy sells Nike and Adidas, pointless slap sells strings.

On the other hand, that fantastic line mentioned earlier on the Bassday thread does apply:

"Excuse me mate, but is that as hard to play as it is to listen to?" :)

* Despite much of the content of this thread :)

Edited by Muzz

[quote name='KevB' post='1270188' date='Jun 15 2011, 02:53 PM']I'm sure that has a lot to do with it, someone has already pointed out that he's been in professional gigging bands with recording contracts. I doubt what he's doing in that vid has as much as 1% crossover to his style of playing in a band capacity yet we're all quick of the mark with a slagging. He's at a demo looking to attract attention for his employers and that's about it. I guess we can discuss whether that style is going to atract people or drive them away but to extrapolate this vid to his whole universe as a player seems a bit much. Maybe he's just saying 'Look at the stick these Rotosounds can take' for all we know. :)[/quote]
Oh I see! I thought all he could do was the 'rhythmsync'.

So he plays 'normal' as well then, like fingerpicking and that?