Why become a member? ×

Roland G77B + 77B Synth Unit + Lead

Jebo1

This is an add for one of the oddest and most amazing basses I've ever owned...!

This is one of the rarer Roland GR models, with the sophisticated bass processor including one CPU per string to aid tracking. Launched around 1986, the GR77b cost around £3,000 new.

The GR77b is a six-voice polyphonic synthesizer based on the classic Roland JX8P and mounted in a substantial floor unit. Patch selection is via the footpedals, other options are controlled via membrane buttons (all working) - an edit map, which sticks on the unit magnetically, is included. The GR77b outputs MIDI data but does not respond to it, so it's purely a sound source for the guitar or a MIDI interface for it. Patch storage is via M16-C cartridges, which are quite commonly available on eBay and were shared with many Roland synths, I will include one cartridge (though it doesn't have JX8P patches on, it can still be used to store new patches).

The G77b is a four-string, 34" bass guitar with graphite stabiliser for improved tracking. It's very well balanced, though a little heavy, and includes dual pickups as well as the dedicated Roland pickup. It's fully playable as a bass guitar without the electronics, and has (IIRC) Ernie Ball super-slinky strings I fitted a while ago. Proper bassists that have tried it have commented on how well it plays, in much the same way that the regular GR700 impresses.

I had one of these before and sold it to Phil Oakey of Human League fame. Nice chap but the old bastard didn't leave me any feedback.

This set-up is incredibly rare in this condition, and would have set you back £3000 in the olden days, but I'm selling it for £700, or a trade for something sexy.

Current users of this bass system include Ministry, Justin Medal Johnson, BEck and of course, the Human League!

Pictures later today, but you can check some out here...

[url="http://www.helpwantedproductions.com/guitsyn.htm"]http://www.helpwantedproductions.com/guitsyn.htm[/url]

[quote name='Phil Oakey' post='146062' date='Feb 24 2008, 04:16 PM']I'm not that old. (52)
And my parents were married when I was born for what it's worth...[/quote]

As a fellow 'Sheffielder' (well Rotherham) I have to know whether this is a wind up.....

P.S. Thanks for the 'Golden age of the future' album - takes me back to pleasant times

Edited by martthebass

[quote name='martthebass' post='146097' date='Feb 24 2008, 05:36 PM']As a fellow 'Sheffielder' (well Rotherham) I have to know whether this is a wind up.....

P.S. Thanks for the 'Golden age of the future' album - takes me back to pleasant times[/quote]

I reckon its a wind up as 'Phil' only joined today but its a very good one :)

Jebos reply was pretty cool also :huh:

Steve

Sorry I've not replied. I was shaving my head.
To be honest I've never really get on with bass players. They always seem to have a over inflated view of how important they are to a band. I've always thought that they were more than adequately substituted by a decent synth/sampler. Let's face it songs like For Once in My Life and What's Goin' On would have sounded much better with a Moog rather than Jamerson's boring thunk.
Plus you don't have to listen to a synth drone on about how the guitarist is drowning them out or how the FOH engineer doesn't understand "their" sound.

Anyway must dash - I've got a wig fitting this afternoon.

[quote name='Phil Oakey' post='146564' date='Feb 25 2008, 01:31 PM']Sorry I've not replied. I was shaving my head.
To be honest I've never really get on with bass players. They always seem to have a over inflated view of how important they are to a band. I've always thought that they were more than adequately substituted by a decent synth/sampler. Let's face it songs like For Once in My Life and What's Goin' On would have sounded much better with a Moog rather than Jamerson's boring thunk.
Plus you don't have to listen to a synth drone on about how the guitarist is drowning them out or how the FOH engineer doesn't understand "their" sound.

Anyway must dash - I've got a wig fitting this afternoon.[/quote]

Quality :)

[quote name='Phil Oakey' post='146564' date='Feb 25 2008, 01:31 PM']Sorry I've not replied. I was shaving my head.

Anyway must dash - I've got a wig fitting this afternoon.[/quote]

A 'bass player' writes: don't you want us, Phil? Don't you want us, wooh woh woh????

Here are some pictures folks.

What you get is:

the guitar + near mint hard case
Floor unit
1 x 24 pin lead
1 x M16 cartridge
Stepdown Transformer for the floor unit.

It's a lot of gear for the money! All joking aside, it's a lovely and very rare synth that needs to be used, and I don't.