Why become a member? ×

a little advice on the first gig

bassbarber

hi everyone, so we have our first gig. 24th at the georgian theatre, just a short support slot. was wanting some advice as im bass aswell as lead vocals. as i want to be a good front man and get involved and stuff so people will want to come see us again, but dont want to wind anyone up by doing to much.... if that makes sense. is there some sort of etiquette that goes with doing a support slot?

I'd highly recommend getting in touch with the band/s you're supporting before the gig (facebook/myspace are good if you don't know them personally).

If you're expecting to use their drums ask very nicely in advance. Very bad form to turn up expecting to use other people equipment even if the promoter says its fine.

Find the sound tech as soon as you get to the gig and ask about soundcheck, also I think its always nice to offer to help lug gear around both for the sound and other bands. I believe that good relationships with other local bands and sound engineers make it more likely that you'll be rebooked.

Performance wise - I'm rubbish but working on it so I'll leave it to wiser heads to advise on that.

[quote name='bassbarber' post='1267582' date='Jun 13 2011, 05:33 PM']hi everyone, so we have our first gig. 24th at the georgian theatre, just a short support slot. was wanting some advice as im bass aswell as lead vocals. as i want to be a good front man and get involved and stuff so people will want to come see us again, but dont want to wind anyone up by doing to much.... if that makes sense. is there some sort of etiquette that goes with doing a support slot?[/quote]
I'd make sure that none of your songs are done by the main heading band. Even if you have to change your set list.

A big + 1 for the 'get in touch with the other bands' re using gear - I assume that the eng will most definitely want you to share the basic kit if at all possible (minus snare, cymbs, pedal, extra stands etc) and possibly bass rig at least, so the right thing to do is get in touch ahead of the gig to sort / ask.

Enjoy yourself, or at least look like you are...........nothing worse that a morose band on stage!!
Don't mumble down the mic when speaking in between songs.........project and seem confident. Gives you good presence on stage!
Take your time, have a pint of water with NO ice in it to sip between songs (or beer if that's your thing..........not mine when I'm playing though....personal preference).

Tune - ideally have one in your loop / chain so you can silently tune between songs. Take a spare lead or 2. Get what you NEED in your mons.....be nice!!

Easy.........good luck.

Enjoy.

When you are finishing your set make a point of thanking everyone for coming and also thank the headliners for inviting you to support them (even if that isn't how you got the gig).

Telling the crowd who is up next and making sure that they stick around and make some noise will help the headliners to start their set with some enthusiasm - you are there to warm up the crowd, after all.

All the above... Also, as frontman/bassplayer, it may pay to slightly simplify your bass lines a touch. Just so it makes things a touch easier to do both in a gig situation. Have a few pleasantries with the crowd, enjoy yourself. And don't get muntered beforehand
:)

Watch your tempo!

Adrenaline, nerves and excitement means that almost everyone plays too fast on their first gig.

If you've got 45 mins of material you can end up getting through it in 30. Stay calm, play it like you rehearsed it and you'll be fine.

Best of luck!

Graham

[quote name='bassintheface' post='1268511' date='Jun 14 2011, 12:24 PM']A big + 1 for the 'get in touch with the other bands' re using gear - I assume that the eng will most definitely want you to share the basic kit if at all possible (minus snare, cymbs, pedal, extra stands etc) and possibly bass rig at least, so the right thing to do is get in touch ahead of the gig to sort / ask.

Enjoy yourself, or at least look like you are...........nothing worse that a morose band on stage!!
Don't mumble down the mic when speaking in between songs.........project and seem confident. Gives you good presence on stage!
Take your time, have a pint of water with NO ice in it to sip between songs (or beer if that's your thing..........not mine when I'm playing though....personal preference).

Tune - ideally have one in your loop / chain so you can silently tune between songs. Take a spare lead or 2. Get what you NEED in your mons.....be nice!!

Easy.........good luck.

Enjoy.[/quote]

This is all very good advice. I've shared bills with lots of bands who've done a lot more than one gig who ignore a lots this list and it shows.

All above are very sound advice!

We do alot of gigs away and don't hace a van to carry all our cabs and kit, so we often just take heads and breakables (snare, cymbals, kick pedal), so always check what gear and cabs are being used so you know if they're compatible with your gear. You might not get your tone that you love, but it can save alot of time and hassle, especially if it's only a small venue

Introduce yourselves near the start of your set. Chances are you've got their attention by now and they'll hopefully remember your name!

Ultimately, relax and enjoy. Other people aren't going to if you're not, and there's no point if you're not! :)

[quote name='Rossatron' post='1269391' date='Jun 14 2011, 10:56 PM']Ultimately, relax and enjoy. Other people aren't going to if you're not, and there's no point if you're not! :)[/quote]

+1

if your music is a hobby, imho it [b]must[/b] be fun.