Why become a member? ×

Good <£200 Practice Amp.

jonsparrow91

Hi there, first real post outside of the marketplace. :)

I'm going to London to go to Tech Music School this Autumn to I'm minimizing my kit down to one good bass (my CIJ 51 Precision) and a good practice amp so there aren't any logistical problems moving it 240 miles every holiday and hopefully making some money in the process (London is pricey!).

What I'm after is a small (1x10") practice amp that has a more professional tone than most practice amps, i.e. not the kind of thing that comes in a box with a beginner bass if you get my drift. So far I've been recommended a Hartke A35 (£60 within budget) and an EBS Classic 60 (£40 out of budget) I've still got a while to decide as I'm not buying anything until I've sold my big Ashdown monster (currently in the Marketplace :)) which I am selling for £200, hence the budget, so I'd like to collect as many opinions as possible by then. I would go to try them out but I've no transport and my local shop likes to taunt me with their loverly Markbass and TC Electronic stuff which couldn't be more out of budget!

So, gentlemen, any recommendations?

Jon

[quote name='Ed_S' post='1267360' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:54 PM']Maybe have a look at a Line 6 Studio 110 - they're not bad for about that money.[/quote]
I've considered getting a modelling/digital amp but I have to queries: 1. Is the modelling any good? As in does it sound close to what it's pretending to be? And 2. Does including digital effects in a low price amp mean that they skimp on the other parts?

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1267361' date='Jun 13 2011, 02:54 PM']Ashdown Minirig.[/quote]
I really like the Five Fifteen mini-rig (not the perfect ten) but I've a feeling it might be a little too big. Ideally I'd like to be able to hold my bass case in one hand and the amp in the other.

[quote name='spaz91' post='1267372' date='Jun 13 2011, 03:06 PM']I've considered getting a modelling/digital amp but I have to queries: 1. Is the modelling any good? As in does it sound close to what it's pretending to be? And 2. Does including digital effects in a low price amp mean that they skimp on the other parts?[/quote]

I always just think of modelling amps as providing a number of voicings rather than specific sounds, even if they profess to offer them. Reason being that I've probably not played the 'classic' in the first place so I wouldn't know if they'd got it right, but I know there's rarely a time that with 5 voicings from clean to progressively more dirty, an EQ and a bit of compression, you can't get at least a useable tone.

As for digital effects built into cheap amps, I mistrust them too!

Edited by Ed_S

Line 6 Studio 110 is just fine and well in budget 2nd hand. It doesn't fart out until you turn it RIGHT up, and the compressor is usable to keep things in order. fine for a jazzgig and "unplugged" with a sympathetic drummer.
For just practice, perfect.

Roland Bass Cube - easily in budget & very well spoken of :)
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=roland+bass+cube&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15105962479043582183&sa=X&ei=p2r2TZexL5OLhQeKjpXtBg&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAQ#"]Plenty of choice[/url]

Edited by KiOgon

All depends on the sound you like, but an ideal matching with a Precision could be either the Ampeg BA 110, or one of the Fender Rumble amps.

When I was looking at combos (100 watts plus, so not practice range) a few years back I was very impressed with the sound of the Rumble amps.

As recommended Hartke has to be worth a listen though.

[quote name='MoonBassAlpha' post='1267839' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:32 PM']Line 6 Studio 110 is just fine and well in budget 2nd hand. It doesn't fart out until you turn it RIGHT up, and the compressor is usable to keep things in order. fine for a jazzgig and "unplugged" with a sympathetic drummer.
For just practice, perfect.[/quote]

Completely agree. I have one and it has been fantastic as a small practice amp. Hides behind the sofa! Ideal for music-on-the-go college use. You can save your own settings so you can move it between different situations and basses. DI out, headphones in, MP3 in - it's all there. In my previous band, I used it for rehearsals with a (fairly well-behaved) drummer, lead guitar, vocals and keys. The Line 6 coped amazingly well - hardly any distortion even though it was close to max volume. It's only when we added a second guitar that it ran out of puff, bless it.

Since I'm trying to reduce the number of amps and combos I have around the place, I'm willing to make this available for £100, excluding courier costs. Utter bargain. PM me if you're interested.

Steve

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1267877' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:54 PM']Roland Bass Cube - easily in budget & very well spoken of :)
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=roland+bass+cube&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15105962479043582183&sa=X&ei=p2r2TZexL5OLhQeKjpXtBg&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAQ#"]Plenty of choice[/url][/quote]

+1 these are ace,especially at £129

[quote name='Cosmo Valdemar' post='1269983' date='Jun 15 2011, 12:56 PM']Another shout for the Line 6 Lowdown110. I have one and it is wonderful. Wouldn't fancy it's chances against a drummer but for bedroom practice and recording it's fantastic.[/quote]

It copes, just! But with PA support no problem :)

[quote name='KiOgon' post='1267877' date='Jun 13 2011, 08:54 PM']Roland Bass Cube - easily in budget & very well spoken of :)
[url="http://www.google.co.uk/products/catalog?q=roland+bass+cube&rls=com.microsoft:en-gb:IE-Address&oe=UTF-8&rlz=1I7GGHP_en-GB&redir_esc=&um=1&ie=UTF-8&tbm=shop&cid=15105962479043582183&sa=X&ei=p2r2TZexL5OLhQeKjpXtBg&ved=0CDoQ8wIwAQ#"]Plenty of choice[/url][/quote]

Another +1
I've got a Cube 100. Can be carried in one hand and loud enough for small to medium gigs. One of the best bits of kit I've ever bought.