Why become a member? ×

.and *another* Power Supply question..!

wateroftyne

Hi folks

Just a quick'un. My EBS MicrobassII needs a 9VDC regulated PSU - 10mA, or 80mA if I'm using headphones for practice.

I don't trust the Danelectro PSU I'm using, so I've bought a good quality regulated PSU instead. It's 9v 360mA. Should that be OK?

Unfortunately, it doesn't work.. rather, it does but there's a noticable 'wooshing' noise in the background. Dammit.

All suggestions gratefully received. EYE NO NOWT ABOUT ELECTRICALNESS! :)

Hi,

[quote name='wateroftyne' post='14371' date='Jun 8 2007, 08:58 PM']...
so I've bought a good quality regulated PSU instead. It's 9v 360mA. Should that be OK?
Unfortunately, it doesn't work.. rather, it does but there's a noticable 'wooshing' noise in the background. Dammit.
...[/quote]

Sounds like poor noise filtering on the PSU (though I'm surprised the EBS doesn't do a better job).
It'd be best to take it back (say it's very 'noisy') and get another (in case it's just a bad example.

Failing that you'd have to add filtering (add capacitors across or coils in-line (or both) with the DC side...
The easiest/best place to do that is in the EBS though - which you probably don't want to go messing with!

You may be better just getting another unit... :)

If it's noisy, I assume the adaptor is an all perpose one, or a cheapo no brand jobby from maplins or radio shack?

If it is, that's not surprising. Those multipurpose adaptors often have very poor filtering because they aren't specifically designed for audio equipment.

Apparently, the Boss 9V adaptor's very good if you only need it for the Microbass.

Have you got the tip on the adaptor correctly? (assuming it's of the multi tip variety)

The EBS probably requires a 9v regulated negative tipped adaptor. I had a similar problem with one of my pedals - I was using a unregulated 9v and there was a lot of whooshing and background noise. Switched to regulated neg tip and it worked flawlessly.

It sounds like you're using an unregulated power supply. The power supply you're using IS powerful enough, but the noise will be because it's unregulated. In terms of power, you just need to make sure that what your pedal(s) need (in your case, 80ma) is lower than the maximum output of the power supply (360ma in your case). It is also inadvisable to run a power supply at maximum output for prolonged periods. So, a safe maximum for your 360ma power supply might be around 300ma. Try this power suppy which is regulated and great value: [url="http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?ViewItem&sspagename=STRK%3AMESE%3AIT&viewitem=&item=320125000560&rd=1&rd=1"]http://cgi.ebay.co.uk/ws/eBayISAPI.dll?Vie...p;rd=1&rd=1[/url]