Why become a member? ×

Markbass Gear

Who's Who

Hello

I was hoping to get some advice from users of Markbass gear.
I'm thinking of going for a Markbass rig, my main requirements are for it to be loud and light.

I've been looking at the heads and was thinking of going for the Little Mark Rocker 500, which as far as I can tell is the same as a LMIII, but with an added tube drive.
I've since seen the Little Mark Tube (not the 800 version), and wondered what the difference was. They both appear to be 500 watt heads, so does anyone know what the real difference is, and can anyone recommend one out of the two???

Now for the cabs.
I've been looking through the cab options on their website. I do like the idea of a full stack as they are so light and portable. The only 410 they now do is from their standard range.
So if I looked at the standard 1x15, which is rear ported, should I pair it with the 4x10 that's also rear ported, or are there any benefits of getting the front ported 4x10.
I don't know much about porting anyway, so any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks in advance

[quote name='Who's Who' post='1264686' date='Jun 11 2011, 10:15 AM']Hello

I was hoping to get some advice from users of Markbass gear.
I'm thinking of going for a Markbass rig, my main requirements are for it to be loud and light.

I've been looking at the heads and was thinking of going for the Little Mark Rocker 500, which as far as I can tell is the same as a LMIII, but with an added tube drive.
I've since seen the Little Mark Tube (not the 800 version), and wondered what the difference was. They both appear to be 500 watt heads, so does anyone know what the real difference is, and can anyone recommend one out of the two???

Now for the cabs.
I've been looking through the cab options on their website. I do like the idea of a full stack as they are so light and portable. The only 410 they now do is from their standard range.
So if I looked at the standard 1x15, which is rear ported, should I pair it with the 4x10 that's also rear ported, or are there any benefits of getting the front ported 4x10.
I don't know much about porting anyway, so any advice would be greatly apprecieated.

Thanks in advance[/quote]

I really didn't like mixing their 10s with 15s.

The EQ just wasn't happy for both at the same time.

The 410 has a massive amount of bass - if you want 2 cabs, just get two 410.

I had a CMD121H combo until about a month ago, when I sold it and got an LM Tube (not the 800) and a Barefaced Super Twelve T.

Tried a Rocker at the bass show and the tube feed in on that just went too dirty too soon for me.

I have the LMT set flat EQ, no filters, and around 1 o'clock on the SS/Tube mix. Together with the S12T and using both the Wal & the L2500's it sounds awesome. Sits perfectly in the mix and gets a good wide dispersion.

I am using it in a twin guitar rock covers band - Lizzy, Whitesnake, that type of thing - and a prog covers back - Yes, Floyd, Crimson, etc - and it handles both beautifully, solid as a rock right down to the Low Bb (we detune a semitone)

My biggest problem, as ever with the MB heads, is keeping it in check volume wise and not getting grief from the rest of the band & sound guy for being a noisy boy :)

What sort of material are you doing? For me in the classic rock/prog scenarios what I have is perfect and plenty loud enough whilst being light as a feather

hello mate,

for years ive always used ampeg gear, have now gone to markbass! LM2 head, 104hf + 102hf cabs, the sound is
superb! its not heavy at all, very portable! the VLE & VPF filters are a godsend! and yes markbass gear is fairly
expensive new, if you buy used you can get a good deal if your in the right place at the right time!! when im at
practise sessions i just use the 4x10 on its own, the head runs at 300w @ 8ohms and it can do `LOUD`with the 2x10
and 4x10 its monster!!

cheers mick.

I run an LMII and have been using it for a couple of years now - probably about 120 gigs. It is a great amp and one i think that will be a classic in a few years time. I do like it with the 4x10 - it sounds massive! That said, i opted for the TC electronic cabs , a 210 and 212. This gives me a lot of flexibility. Take the 210 to rehearsals and small pub gigs - take the full stack for big shows. This also lets the amp run at either 8 ohms @ 300 watts for the smaller gigs or 4 ohms @ 500 watts for the bigger gigs. Never been left wanting for power or clarity and quality. I can't see myself changing rig for a long time. Highly recommended.

The little mark tube is great for a big, thick, clean sound. It picks up muted notes and makes them speak beautifully, so it's perfect for Soul and vintage funk stuff. It will give you floor shaking lows even at low volume, so it's great in a orchestra pit. It doesn't do grit, doesn't have 2 speakons out, and the pull volume mute switch is really stupid, and despite reassurances it doesn't matter, I hate the fact it clips with the gain above 8 o clock with my ASAT. However it's dead easy to tailor the sound to venue for me, I just adjust the VLE to suit.

Lots of people on here say they can't tell what the tube adds to the sound, but I love it, and it's left on full tube constantly.

I've owned an F1, which was very good but I didn't “bond” with it, and an LM2, which I loved. I've heard others sounding good with MB cabs but I've never been able to get a sound I like! I'd check out Barefaced cabs. They seem to match really well with Markbass amps.

hi i use a markbass 102 combo and a 151hf bass bin i also have ampeg rigs ashdown rigs peavey combo and loads of basses and the best sound i have ever had is from the markbass 102 and the markbass bin, goto your local music shop and try them i garantee you wont want anything else. good luck with what ever you buy .

The smaller 4x10 is great standalone cab for me. Has always easily coped with anything I ever throw at it. Portability is excellent.

Perhaps the mids can be a bit more pronounced than other cabs, but nothing a bit of eq-ing won't fix. Certainly has enough depth/low end.

Can't imagine ever needing another MB cab.

You can see the Markbass heads for around £350 plus on here of late..and if you like them, that is a lot of amp for the money.
500w potential into 4ohms. The tube version would be of particular interest to me..as I like tube pres..and also, because the SS models can be a little sterile for my tastes when pushed, IME,....as opposed to rehearsal volumes when they are great.

Cabs..? less a fan, but I like the 102 combo so would look at those 2x210's if you want Markbass all the way.

I like the heads. I did a guitar gig last week, and the bass player had a LMiii, but was using a Barefaced Super Twelve T (or whatever its called). It sounded excellent. Furthermore, I was doing the PA for the gig too, and it was a BIG hall, but I only had to put a small amount of him through the PA such was the projection of the rig.

Impressive.

Ive been gigging MB heads for about 5 years. Mostly a SA450 but occasionally a LMII with another band. For me the best MB tone ive had was with a BDDI in front of it.
Although i loved the SA450 i felt it could sound a bit bland sometimes, but adding a bit of BDDI in made the world of difference and i expect more so than just having a tube in the pre amp. Maybe worth thinking about.

I've never heard anyone complain that a MB head didnt have enough power for any gig (other than maybe the 250watt heads) but choosing the right cab definitely makes a difference.
Although people do use MB cabs its really the heads that are popular, the cabs leave a lot of people undecided.

Edited by dave_bass5

I had a LMIII and the rear-ported 410, and the sound was very very full - I liked the cab a lot. It was stolen, and if it hadn't been, I'd probably have kept it, but as posted previously, I liked a BDDI in front of the LMIII to give it a bit more rock character. In search of a minimalist solution, I tried the LM Tube (too subtle for me) and the Rocker (0 = no fizz, 2-10 = fizz), as well as Shuttles and some other larger heads, but ended up with a TC RH450 instead.

If you're considering the Tube or the Rocker, be sure and try out (if you possibly can) the Shuttles, the TC stuff and even the new Ampeg mini head before you part with your wonga. Not a bad head in that list there, but your ears may well surprise you and pick a favourite.

On the MB cab front, I'd advise trying just one 410 (the HR is the smaller of the two) for volume, unless you really really want a full stack. Then buy two. And a big-ish car: they're not heavy, but they're still a 410, after all.

[quote name='Muzz' post='1267221' date='Jun 13 2011, 12:52 PM']If you're considering the Tube or the Rocker, be sure and try out (if you possibly can) the Shuttles, the TC stuff and even the new Ampeg mini head before you part with your wonga. Not a bad head in that list there, but your ears may well surprise you and pick a favourite.[/quote]

I also suggest trying a Genz Benz Streamliner out. With a three tube pre amp this head is getting a lot of rave reviews for its tube tone.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1268555' date='Jun 14 2011, 01:01 PM']I also suggest trying a Genz Benz Streamliner out. With a three tube pre amp this head is getting a lot of rave reviews for its tube tone.[/quote]

Oooo, yeah - forgot that one...