Why become a member? ×

The ACG Thread

BottomEndian

Just took delivery of this beautifully crafted, amazingly light, awesome sounding ACG Graft Finn.

I've changed the pickup heights to what I usually have them at, however the neck pickup is a far cry quieter than the bridge. If I raise the neck pickup any more then the magnets start pulling on the strings, thought I'd ask here before popping up the hood.

Got a couple of quick questions for you guys if you'd be so kind :) im assuming the "Graft" series are a more basic line, "budget" models for lack of a better word? What kind of waiting time is on them?

I really want a 5 string Recurve... will have to drop the man an email at some point.

The acrylic impregnated woods looks brilliant too.

Edited by Ramsay777

Again these questions are best answered by Alan in my opinion. He's a very friendly guy, give him a call. The waiting times will likely vary and he has some stock at the moment after the show.

The Graft range are made by Alan and have a more limited range of options compared to his full custom models. Given that he will incorporate 'extra's' into his Graft models for a reasonable cost.

But, speak to the man, not the customer :D

Peter

[quote name='GreeneKing' timestamp='1394197196' post='2389031']

But, speak to the man, not the customer :D

Peter
[/quote]

The customer will only tell you how brilliant the basses are. :D I just emailed Alan today and he replied within 2 hours.

Edited by BassBus

[quote name='BassBus' timestamp='1394223709' post='2389395']

The customer will only tell you how brilliant the basses are. :D I just emailed Alan today and he replied within 2 hours.
[/quote]

That's good to know.

My bass is a passive one, vol, tone and a 4 way rapotary switch.

[quote name='Ramsay777' timestamp='1394195272' post='2388994']
Got a couple of quick questions for you guys if you'd be so kind :) im assuming the "Graft" series are a more basic line, "budget" models for lack of a better word? What kind of waiting time is on them?

I really want a 5 string Recurve... will have to drop the man an email at some point.

The acrylic impregnated woods looks brilliant too.
[/quote]

While cheaper and with less options looking through some pictures you'd be hard pressed to say which is a graft.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='TPJ' timestamp='1395139056' post='2399009']
That bass looks very subtle but I bet it roars with those pickups :)
[/quote]

I strung it with Chromes for awhile and they sounded nowhere near to what I am used to ;) Attack is really fast on this bass.

• 2 weeks later...
  • 5 months later...

I've just sold my Finn sc and I'm missing it already :( even though I've kept it in the case for the past couple of months to try and wean myself off it.

Bah. Any acg owners played a 35" low b and a 33" low b? Much difference? Is one "better" or "worse" ?

I'm becoming drawn to the recurve 6 currently for sale, at the same time firmly reminding myself I don't really get in with 6ers....... Maybe It's because I haven't tried an ACG 6 yet :D

Any sound samples around of the different pickups / pre amps now available anywhere?

I think Eude can give you some guidance on the 6-string thing as he plays shorter scale ACGs. I only have 34" scale 4-stringers that you're welcome to try if you like. I have an Sei 5 fretless with a 34" scale B if that's any help.

Thanks ead, I think I've bothered Eude on that subject previously and he was very helpful.

Thanks for the link Alan, some great stuff. The hopper fretless gets me every time. Can you retrofit a piezo bridge to any Acg?

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1409873654' post='2544304']
Thanks ead, I think I've bothered Eude on that subject previously and he was very helpful.
[/quote]

Happy to help mate, if you've any other questions, you know where I am :)

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1409900987' post='2544371']
Doable I would think. Not done one for a while personally I prefer the sound of mags.
[/quote]

I completely agree, if you're trying to get a more upright kinda sound, you can do a lot with 2 mag pickups and clever use of the filter preamp on an ACG, never mind string choice.

Eude

[quote name='Dazed' timestamp='1409860814' post='2544153']
I've just sold my Finn sc and I'm missing it already :( even though I've kept it in the case for the past couple of months to try and wean myself off it.

Bah. Any acg owners played a 35" low b and a 33" low b? Much difference? Is one "better" or "worse" ?

I'm becoming drawn to the recurve 6 currently for sale, at the same time firmly reminding myself I don't really get in with 6ers....... Maybe It's because I haven't tried an ACG 6 yet :D

Any sound samples around of the different pickups / pre amps now available anywhere?
[/quote]

I have a 6string 35'' scale recurve you can have a try of if you like, I'm in north manchester so might not be too far from you, it doesn't have a low B tho', it's strung EADGCF

[quote name='eude' timestamp='1409906309' post='2544417']

I completely agree, if you're trying to get a more upright kinda sound, you can do a lot with 2 mag pickups and clever use of the filter preamp on an ACG, never mind string choice.

[/quote]

That's true but the piezo pickups on my Finn sound fantastic with TI Jazz flats. Certainly not a DB sound but a really nice electric right tone.

• 1 month later...