Why become a member? ×

The ACG Thread

BottomEndian

1 hour ago, skb558 said:

Here are my two...

734E91B7-B19E-4672-9A12-E59CF7B3DB94.thumb.jpeg.793d9a2968b21ebbe2cd0fa04108958a.jpeg

247C9EEF-AA32-4494-BDFE-FBC34C58D57D.jpeg.f7ec1c44833de7071da533c300972072.jpeg

Both stock instruments. The J-type is strung E-C and is the easiest 5-string I’ve played. 

The Recurve was my first and the tonal palette is huge with Alan’s DFM pre-amp. 

AE1EACC7-E247-41A4-BF8D-3B9C14C3DFFF.jpeg

C6122C43-C6A9-4FCC-A38D-58A422037943.jpeg

They are both Very nice indeed,  can I ask how the J type sounds , I’ve never played an ACG , and was debating adding one to my collection , I love everything about that J 🙂

Morning,

The J has SB70 Alnico single coil pickups with the East Uni-Pre amp with Active/Passive switching.

It has that classic 70s Jazz sound. It’s light for a 5-string too. 

Alan is a good chap to deal with; always very helpful and a mine of information. 

You won’t be disappointed 😀

Shaun

Edited by skb558
  • Thanks 1

8 minutes ago, skb558 said:

Morning,

The J has SB70 Alnico single coil pickups with the East Uni-Pre amp with Active/Passive switching.

It has that classic 70s Jazz sound. It’s light for a 5-string too. 

Alan is a good chap to deal with; always very helpful and a mine of information. 

You won’t be disappointed 😀

Shaun

Thanks very much Shaun , I’ve been looking at these for a while,  that sounds perfect 👍

• 1 month later...
3 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

It must be really difficult being you - which ACG do I play???

Jealous...

It's tough, I can't deny it.

I tend to rotate through them, but try and give them all a good play as often as I can.

The Finn SC 6er is my darling though, if I could only have one, it would have to be that one.

Eude

2 hours ago, Jimothey said:

@eude I don't normally like headless but this one (well they are all great but) is especially great !! What is the top wood on it??........... 😀 

OI000004.thumb.JPG.d7c19b2909142f432f388971f5f2897b.jpeg.136943f9aaee9468283ea923a4244ea7.jpeg

It's called "Fractal Birch", it's a man made figured effort made by laminating lots of wood together, as far as I'm aware. Alan could give you more accurate info on it I expect.

I rather like it myself 😎

Eude

• 6 months later...
  • 1 month later...

I bought mine 2nd hand, hopefully that still allows me membership to the ACG club! I present my medium scale Finn 4.

In fact, I got it yesterday, from this very forum so you might all recognise it. I had my eye on it from the day it popped up in the classifieds and instantly started to sell things in order to fund it. Not everything has sold but i decided why not just to go for it anyway. So here it is.

It's quite simply phenomenal.  It's the most playable bass I've ever had in my hands. The 31.5" scale allows easy movement around the neck, and the thing is perfectly balanced when on a strap. It's light but not super light; it still maintains the feel of playing a big block of wood which I think gets lost when you play super light basses. 

The build quality is breath taking. and the neck join is seamless - it's a thing of beauty. I can't wait to show my dad as he's into his woodworking; he always appreciates good work. 

I'm struggling to get my head round how the active controls work. Grant explained to me what they all do but I think I was just so excited to actually play it I didn't take it all in - I've kinda worked it out, but I probably should look it up anyway to get a better understanding.  I love having the passive option available to me too.  One thing though is that the active circuit seems to be too hot for my zoom b3n. Even with nothing turned on the b3n, it seems to be distorting at input.  I wonder if there's any internal controls that might allow for the output to be turned down abit? This seems to be the b3n's fault though as it doesn't do it with my amp, or when I go direct into my AI. 

Anyways, I cannot wait to get out and gig it although unforunately my diary is empty until March... hopefully something comes in before then!

Taken from the ad:

Body  Wood: Swamp Ash

Body Finish: Satin Lacquer

Neck Wood: 3 piece Maple with Ebony heel block.

Finger Board: Acrylic Resin Treated Maple

Scale: 31.5″

Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer

Pickups: ACG RFB Humbucker

Hardware: ACG/Hipshot bridge, Gotoh GB350 Resolite tuners, Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks

Low Battery Indicator

Pre-amp: East Uni-Pre 4K

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

• Like 3

5 hours ago, Elfrasho said:

I bought mine 2nd hand, hopefully that still allows me membership to the ACG club! I present my medium scale Finn 4.

In fact, I got it yesterday, from this very forum so you might all recognise it. I had my eye on it from the day it popped up in the classifieds and instantly started to sell things in order to fund it. Not everything has sold but i decided why not just to go for it anyway. So here it is.

It's quite simply phenomenal.  It's the most playable bass I've ever had in my hands. The 31.5" scale allows easy movement around the neck, and the thing is perfectly balanced when on a strap. It's light but not super light; it still maintains the feel of playing a big block of wood which I think gets lost when you play super light basses. 

The build quality is breath taking. and the neck join is seamless - it's a thing of beauty. I can't wait to show my dad as he's into his woodworking; he always appreciates good work. 

I'm struggling to get my head round how the active controls work. Grant explained to me what they all do but I think I was just so excited to actually play it I didn't take it all in - I've kinda worked it out, but I probably should look it up anyway to get a better understanding.  I love having the passive option available to me too.  One thing though is that the active circuit seems to be too hot for my zoom b3n. Even with nothing turned on the b3n, it seems to be distorting at input.  I wonder if there's any internal controls that might allow for the output to be turned down abit? This seems to be the b3n's fault though as it doesn't do it with my amp, or when I go direct into my AI. 

Anyways, I cannot wait to get out and gig it although unforunately my diary is empty until March... hopefully something comes in before then!

Taken from the ad:

Body  Wood: Swamp Ash

Body Finish: Satin Lacquer

Neck Wood: 3 piece Maple with Ebony heel block.

Finger Board: Acrylic Resin Treated Maple

Scale: 31.5″

Neck Finish: Satin Lacquer

Pickups: ACG RFB Humbucker

Hardware: ACG/Hipshot bridge, Gotoh GB350 Resolite tuners, Dunlop Dual Design Straplocks

Low Battery Indicator

Pre-amp: East Uni-Pre 4K

DSC00485.jpg

DSC00486.jpg

DSC00487.jpg

DSC00488.jpg

DSC00489.jpg

Congratulations dude, I can't deny I'm more than a bit jealous.

What strings are on there?

Eude

1 hour ago, Elfrasho said:

Nylon coated. Pretty fun to play although I think ill be swapping out to standard roundwounds when i can. 

Try some Newtones. Neil makes Alan's standard strings for any new ACG, and they're the best. Bar my shorty, which has TI Flats on it, all my 31.5" ACGs have them.

Eude

• Thanks 1

@Elfrasho, You are describing the basic format for all ACG

On 26/01/2020 at 14:26, Elfrasho said:

It's quite simply phenomenal.

It's the most playable bass I've ever had in my hands.

and the thing is perfectly balanced

On 26/01/2020 at 19:55, eude said:

The build quality is breath taking.

it's a thing of beauty.

Spend some time working out the EQ and Enjoy it....😍

16 minutes ago, TheGreek said:

@Elfrasho, You are describing the basic format for all ACG

Spend some time working out the EQ and Enjoy it....😍

Yep, it didn't take much to get to grips with it to be fair. I actually love it in passive so I'll be interested what I end up doing when I eventually get out gigging with it.