Why become a member? ×

The ACG Thread

BottomEndian

[quote name='ead' timestamp='1452156403' post='2946978']
Is that the photos or the player Merton? :lol: I've never let my lack of ability stand in the way of acquiring ACGs. I still want to find a way to try out your ACG 'P' at some point.

Lovely looking bass there Kev
[/quote]

:D both ;)

Yeah we will find a way for you to have a play with my P... It's a wicked bass, so simple but so effective.

And Kev, I too love that Finn you have there. A stunner which provided a little inspiration for my 5 :)

[quote name='The-Ox' timestamp='1452700620' post='2952585']
Got my Custom Krell E Type today!!! Will upload pics

these preamps are out of this world! The pickups are amazing too! So much variety, like 10 basses in one!
[/quote]

I think I see someone talking about getting a new ACG, but I can't see any pictures, and so I must be imagining it!

;)

Si

Here we are, i quickly took some pics on my phone. My shoddy photography skills don't do this bass justice! I sold a ricky and got this in cheaper, best bit of business this January window ;)

Big thanks to Alan for his patience, craftsmanship and dedication to making this, and for being a top bloke to real with! Also thanks to Mick for steering me in Alans direction and to those who commented on my ACG thread when I was still deliberating it. I'll stop the Oscara speech now!

Here are my two, a 2013 Recurve "Graft" fretted 5, mahogany over alder, 3 piece 33" scale maple neck, passive, and a 2015 Recurve "Standard" fretless 5, white limba, 3 piece ash/bubinga neck, P-Retro EQ.

Totally blown away by how good these basses are. The playability is just second to none.

I think this shows why they are called Recurve...

Edited by walbassist

Not been asked that before.

My wife has a theory which she maintains is a theme running through them all but to be honest I think she is trying to hard to manufacture something from nothing. The theory is based on all basses being feminine which to be fair to her I don't really disagree with but she has put way to much thought in to it and how that relates to each model. If you ever meet her by all means ask and she will be happy to expand at length on the subject.

I am not a big fan of just model numbers which I think are very forgettable and impart no charactor and de-personalise the bass which I don't see as a good thing.

Naming them takes ages because it is an important statement and forms associations for people and I would like them to be good rather than bad or stupid.

So in short some I have named myself and of the current models those would be: Recurve , Harlot, Salace, and Skelf.

Named by others: Finn. Krell which was named by Kev Hopper.

The J Type named for marketing purposes.

The R Type and S Type relate to the top horn or lower horn in the single cuts. A S Type has the top horn of a Skelf single cut. The R Type the lower horn from a Recurve. Classic is the first version of any single cut.

E Type comes from design input from Ewan Beck. The A Type Krell is the version I did myself.

Border Reiver refers to local history and as a small compact travel type bass crossing borders seemed appropriate.

Think that about covers it.

Edited by skelf
  • Like 1

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...

[quote name='Bigwan' timestamp='1502704771' post='3352925']
A Babicz on an ACG? Different...

[attachment=251365:we fear change.jpg]
[/quote]
Yep, this bass was specked up by Drew at the GBBL.
Would be interesting to see how it sounds with the usual hipshot bridge fitted.

[quote name='skelf' timestamp='1452779831' post='2953410']
Hard to say since they have all been available for different times but overall.

Recurve and Finn are pretty close.
Recurve Classic.
Finn Classic
Recurve S Type
Finn R type.

Recurve and derived shapes followed by the Finn and derived shapes.
[/quote]

Krell bound to be pretty high up the list now... and rightly so!

• 1 year later...