Why become a member? ×

Warwick Streamer LX's-please tell me what you know

Old Horse Murphy

A bit of advice would be much appreciated here.

As a dyed in the wool Fender/Musicman fan, I know very little about Warwicks at all.

As some of you may have seen, I currently have a Fender US Precision for trade/sale and was offered a Warwick Streamer LX as part of a deal.

I declined this offer basically because I know nothing about Warwicks and have probably only played 1 in my life.

I'd be grateful if any of you Warwick experts could let me know any more about the Streamer LX, where does it fit in to the Warwick production line (IE in Fender terms is it made in America or is it made in Korea), any idea of value of these basses and also what I'm missing out on.

Thanks

Edited by Old Horse Murphy

[quote name='nash' post='145575' date='Feb 23 2008, 01:17 PM']OHM if you love your fenders like me, you'll get the warwick play it for a little bit and then sell it. its just too modern for me. in looks that is.[/quote]

That's my gut feeling. I just wondered if there ws anyone who'd tell me anything different!! :)

Nick, Warwicks are different and take a bit of getting used to. I happily use my Thumb alongside the fender because it is different. The sound is more hifi and growly and so is more suited to different stuff. Having said that ive used mine for Eagles thru to Led Zep so its pretty versatile. The neck ain't for everyone but its not as bad as many make out. In short have a try it doesn't hurt to look.

One thing to consider is that the LX is a BO model and at the moment you can virtually get yourself a more expensive NT for the same money as some LX owners want for their basses.

I've never tried to make the equivalent match between the Fender and the Warwick range (made tricky because Fender don't do a NT range parallel with the BO) but...

IIRC the LXs were originally made in Germany (Fender's equivalent of the USA model) but as with all things production costs moved them to the East, so you could consider them the Japanese equivalent of Fenders (some people love em some people sneer if they aren't the USA model). The NT range AFAIK are still made in Germany and I suppose the Squire equivalent for Warwick would probably be their Rockbass line.

It's funny but I've had 3 PMs in the last 6mths from people asking my opinion and value on the LX range as they'd been offered one in part-ex, I wonder if it's the same 'faceless' bass doing the rounds!

HI there
The LX in question do you know what year it is, My first ever warwick was a streamer lx i bought new in 1998 and they had much slimmer necks made from wenge and it sounded fantastici used it for years and finally sold it 4 years ago for £450 to buy a lovely red 1990 streamer NT, back to the point they did change the necks to ovankol and changed the neck profile to a really chunky one (which i hate, my 5 string has it) which has a warmer sound but i dont think they are as well made as the earlier ones, Being a fender man a bolt on(warwick) may be more to your taste but its a much more modern sound very punchy!!.
Also remember a fender USA precision has a much better resale value than warwicks at the mo, which is fantastic if you love warwicks mr warwickhunt hit the nail on the head a lot of people are selling LX streamers for not much less than the NT models which is a bit weird but try em see what you prefer( i personally preffered the sound of my old LX which came up for sale on ebay not too long ago i nearly bought it back but i couldnt justify having two 4 string streamers)
good luck with your search, i use fender and warwicks they cover pretty much everything between em.
take care-LEE :)

A bit of advice would be much appreciated here.

As a dyed in the wool Fender/Musicman fan, I know very little about Warwicks at all.

As some of you may have seen, I currently have a Fender US Precision for trade/sale and was offered a Warwick Streamer LX as part of a deal.

I declined this offer basically because I know nothing about Warwicks and have probably only played 1 in my life.

I'd be grateful if any of you Warwick experts could let me know any more about the Streamer LX, where does it fit in to the Warwick production line (IE in Fender terms is it made in America or is it made in Korea), any idea of value of these basses and also what I'm missing out on.

Thanks
[/quote]

What everyone has said so far is spot on. The newer LX's aren't all that cop, but if you can get a 1997/98 model with the Wenge neck, it may be worth considering. They are very different to Fenders, though are very well made basses and their reputation is well deserved.

As far as I'm aware, as long as it's not one of the Rockbass models, which the LX isn't, it'll be German made, so no worries there. If you can try one out, you'll get a quick idea of whether Warwick's are for you or not.

Wouldn't want an Ovangkol-necked one.
But I have a '97 Wenge-necked LX VI

The neck is large but comfortable.
Came with Duncans in as standard as I don't think MEC do anything wide enough to cover 6 strings.
LX IVs seem to come as both PJ and JJ
LX Vs come as JJ
LX VIs all sport soapbars of varying types (Duncan/Bartolini seem common)

[b]Good bits[/b];
Build quality's okay (they're German, after all. think mine was from Eggolsheim)
Good choice of woods on the '97-'98 (Wenge neck, Wenge f.board, Maple body)
Good basic tone.
Quiet- in terms of electrical noise. All Warwicks I've played seem good in this respect
Comfortable shape and acceptable balance even on a 6

[b]Not-so-good bits[/b];
Maple bodies are HEAVY (esp the sixers!)
4 string neck profile is a matter of taste (I prefer the flatter-backed 5 or 6 string)
MEC pick-ups and EQ are a bit lack-lustre (IMO!) The SDs in mine make it better, but the EQ still seems crude. Might eventually change it!
Looks not for everyone (although at 20-odd years old, the body's almost a modern classic!)

As stated above, it's possible to get a better-spec Warwick at a good price on the used market. It's a buyer's market at the mo'

IMO the LX is a fantastic and very versatile bass.

I have an LX4 built in 2004 and I actually love the neck wood and profile. Takes all sorts I suppose. I've owned it since early 2005 so I've had lots of time to get used to this bass.

I have a USA jazz which I like too but the Warwick is much better built with better electronics and is VERY light, well balanced and easy to play for hours. Everyone who has tried it has commented on how light and comfortable it is.

It's the growl and punch from these bolt-on models that I like. As always, it's a matter of opinion and personal preference so maybe the age old advice is best ie. Try before you buy.

Frank

Nick,

I have a Streamer Stage 1 4 string and a Streamer LX 5, both are German made and the SS1 is a 2000 model, not sure about the LX5 - possibly a little older.

FWIW, I find the LX5 is my main gigging bass - the neck isnt as chunky as on some warwicks ive played and sound wise, i really feel "at home" with the bass boosted a little, the treble rolled all the way off and then just shy of a quarter tone forward, and a little midrange (just a smidge).

The result is a really growly, organic sounding hunk of bass that fits right into my Funk band's sound, always cuts through the mix and draws a few grins from fellow bassists in the crowd.

The pickups in mine are JJ type and all is as standard, so MEC Pre and Pups. You arent far away from me Nick so you are most welcome to come and try mine out if you want mate, and if you want to hear it in a live band situation, Im gigging in Bracknell on tuesday night (26th Feb) so PM me if you want to pop down, ill get you on the guest list.

Both my Warwicks are great basses, with my SS1 sounding more hifi than the LX, mainly because its almost totally Maple and neck thru, and because it is loaded with the Aguilar OBP-1 Pre and EMG Pickups.