Why become a member? ×

Love the Wizards!!

Mook

[quote name='dan670844' post='1310535' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:00 PM']Yes I also had a typo bleeding Ipad too clever......

I found that with the 84's too, but they are great for Dubby type choones I sometimes cover and three piece kind of power trio band I am in. They fill out the bottom in the music, they have a big low end wack and loose no definition. I have not found that with any other pickup everything else always goes muddy.[/quote]

Yep, im on my iPhone so typing with a finger tip while walking.

I think my main issue was the bass rather than the 84's. Ive had the same set of pups (84's and 74's) in both the CV Jazz and a HW-one Jazz and they sounded a lot more articulate and open in the HW-one.

To be honest i really only noticed a small difference in the CV between the 84 and 74 but it was a nice difference.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1310570' date='Jul 20 2011, 05:23 PM']Yep, im on my iPhone so typing with a finger tip while walking.

I think my main issue was the bass rather than the 84's. Ive had the same set of pups (84's and 74's) in both the CV Jazz and a HW-one Jazz and they sounded a lot more articulate and open in the HW-one.

To be honest i really only noticed a small difference in the CV between the 84 and 74 but it was a nice difference.[/quote]

With the 74's I find (purpose intended) they cut through like a knife in a live mix esp with a lot of loud guitars, they are a great pickup for live work, they also like the 84's have a big dynamic range which is a big part of my sound. If you ever get the chance to try it plug your bass (with the 74's in) into a SVT, or even a sansamp pedal (SVT setting) the tone will make you cry haha

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='lobematt' post='1310664' date='Jul 20 2011, 06:46 PM']Haha i do love an SVT, whats the SVT settings on a sansamp??[/quote]

Download the manual dude, its in there if you got a sansamp bypass your preamp on your amp go for the poweramp in option, its pretty close. Check out the new Ampeg stuff as well is pretty good.............

Ive used a BDDI most of last year and this year, until i got my Streamliner. I love the BDDI/MB tone.
Unfortunately i dont use my CV Jazz bass much these days as it has my CV P neck on it but its nice to get it out every now and then.

Edited by dave_bass5

Just bought some P Bass Trads off here. Couldnt decide between them and the thumpers but a good price coupled with a fair few reviews i opted for the trads. Cant wait to get them. Booked all day off tommorow to rebuild a Squier P bass (i say rebuild but really its a re-wire with one of Kiogons harnesses, adding the Trads, adding some old vintage looking tuners and thumb rest and finally a new decal. Might even do a build diary :)

[quote name='dan670844' post='1310705' date='Jul 20 2011, 07:17 PM']Download the manual dude, its in there if you got a sansamp bypass your preamp on your amp go for the poweramp in option, its pretty close. Check out the new Ampeg stuff as well is pretty good.............[/quote]

Got it, I'll give that a go next practice. Does is make much difference if you use it as a preamp?

[quote name='lobematt' post='1311432' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:36 PM']Got it, I'll give that a go next practice. Does is make much difference if you use it as a preamp?[/quote]

One thing i will say is be careful with the Blend knob. Too much and you loose quite a bit of mid range.

• 2 weeks later...

[quote name='lobematt' post='1311432' date='Jul 21 2011, 12:36 PM']Got it, I'll give that a go next practice. Does is make much difference if you use it as a preamp?[/quote]

Just my bag but I always use mine dry i.e. sansamp into board/desk or power amp or power amp in on your amp head that way you get sansamp tones only and not the colouration tone of the preaamp on your amp head. Maybe stating the bleeding obvious Sansamp= No amp. i.e the whole point of it is its an analogue tube emulator i.e you can get get svt ish sounds direct into a desk pa power amp whatever. They are cool.

I won't buy anything else other than Wizards now if I need new pickups. I wanted to get a set of 74s for my Celinder but they won't fit the routs. I've had about 4 pairs of soapbars from him in the past though.

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1310322' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:16 PM']When i put 84's in my CV Jazz i felt it was a bit too dark. To me this means too much low mid bump and lack of sparkle. I felt i lost some definition in the harmonics. The bass itself is quite warm sounding IMO so this didnt help (the same pups in my HW-one sounded very different).

Have a word with Andy and ask about 74's . These are in the middle of the 84 and 64. Still with a nice low end thump but with more going on up top.

Im also playing weddings/functions etc and i find they work well with this bass.[/quote]

This is what I would expect.

The 84's would have a power that I wouldn't need. I'd want a thinner sound with more character...and something I could beef up if necc..without it being there and not being able to get rid of it.

I've got a Trad P pickup coming soon that I'm looking forward to trying out. The previous incarnation of the bass had an SD SPB-1 in it that I really liked. But I thought I'd give Wizard a try out of curiosity. I'm expecting the Trad to be fairly similar to the SPB-1 as both are descibed as pretty much "vintage correct".

[quote name='JTUK' post='1329946' date='Aug 6 2011, 02:42 PM']This is what I would expect.

The 84's would have a power that I wouldn't need. I'd want a thinner sound with more character...and something I could beef up if necc..without it being there and not being able to get rid of it.[/quote]

The 64's are best for this they have unbelievable clarity, well just like original fullerton pickups! 74's (rub my invention haha!) have the power of the 84's without that overloaded low end. The 84's are great for MIM Jazzes std's as they can be pretty thin, it turns them alive. It depends what you are putting them into.....

[quote name='dan670844' post='1330321' date='Aug 6 2011, 08:37 PM']The 64's are best for this they have unbelievable clarity, well just like original fullerton pickups! 74's (rub my invention haha!) have the power of the 84's without that overloaded low end. The 84's are great for MIM Jazzes std's as they can be pretty thin, it turns them alive. It depends what you are putting them into.....[/quote]

I don't need a change of pickups, but I found out long ago that I really don't want excessive winds that over-power the sound of the bass.

I'd also like to know what circuit's (as in active) anyone has used with wizards. Im considering a set of 64's for a fretless VM Jazz but not sure what active to get. Idealy Id be going for the tone/tone/volume option.

cheers in advance

A

Edited by apa

I can only talk about the East J retro types and they are very powerful and flexible.

Since there is so much boost, I wouldn't be adding a powerful pickup to that as it could be Overkill.
IME..a boosted pickup with lots of winds..PLUS +15bd of potential bass boost could really clutter up the low end.
I'd talk to both John East and Wizard about the matchup.

If you are putting them on a bass that really resonates well... you'll have enough bass from the woods...that you'll never get past zero bass boost. IIRC, you can't cut the bass on these JE pre's.. The treble and mid sweeps are centred for +-db

I like the pickup sound to have weight but also be capable of being thinner and having more chraracter. The pre adds anything you aren't getting...but that is just me.

[quote name='bassybill' post='1330248' date='Aug 6 2011, 07:35 PM']I've got a Trad P pickup coming soon that I'm looking forward to trying out. The previous incarnation of the bass had an SD SPB-1 in it that I really liked. But I thought I'd give Wizard a try out of curiosity. I'm expecting the Trad to be fairly similar to the SPB-1 as both are descibed as pretty much "vintage correct".[/quote]

Would be interested to hear what you think of them both. I mainly use SPB-1s in my P-Basses, but I've got a Wizard 'Trad' in one. Think they do sound different to each other. However, would say they are both have a 'vintage' tone of some kind - certainly not modern. I like them both, cant decide which one I prefer.

Cheers

Edited by nick

[quote name='JTUK' post='1330650' date='Aug 7 2011, 09:50 AM']I don't need a change of pickups, but I found out long ago that I really don't want excessive winds that over-power the sound of the bass.[/quote]

Depends what bass you have, I don't play them but some of the earlier mexi fenders jazzes are very thin sounding and benefit from a bit of bass hump. In any case a lot of the classic early jazzes and strats have slightly overwound pickups, they where made by old ladies by hand who liked to gas I guess. They sound good if not overdone, with the wizards its not overdone and the pickups character is very defined.

[quote name='dan670844' post='1340323' date='Aug 15 2011, 09:02 AM']Depends what bass you have, I don't play them but some of the earlier mexi fenders jazzes are very thin sounding and benefit from a bit of bass hump. In any case a lot of the classic early jazzes and strats have slightly overwound pickups, they where made by old ladies by hand who liked to gas I guess. They sound good if not overdone, with the wizards its not overdone and the pickups character is very defined.[/quote]

and then the gauge of the wire comes into it.

IME, large gauge wire and too many winds can equal a very heavy bass pickup ..which produces too much bass against any character for me.
Which is why I would suggest the user talks to the winder about what they want.

But yes, I can the point about a poorly put together instrument needing more but then that is what the pre amp will do anyway, with +15db of bass boost.

• 2 weeks later...

Apologies for bumping this - has anyone used the combo jazz pups?
I'm after a vintage sound on the neck and more musicman style on the bridge - also i want to split the coils on the MM one so i can treat it as a normal jazz (neck/bridge)

Any thoughts?