Why become a member? ×

Love the Wizards!!

Mook

A while back I got some great advice from the good people of this forum about pickups to replace the stock one's in my Lakland DJ.
I put in the Wizard 84's and I'm a very happy camper. So much more balls and beef that I was looking for and much more character to the sound.
Have to admit I miss a bit of the top end bite I used to get with a pick but I'd get over that for the growl I now get out of the neck PUP.

I am loving my Lakland again!!

just thought I'd share my joy :)

Ive got wizards in both my basses. Lovely pups.

I found 84's to have a bit less sparkle than i hoped so i got Andy to custom wind me some 74's. These have the punch of the 84's but with a more open top end.

For what its worth i never liked the stock Lakland pups in my old DJ5 but then i never liked the tone of the DJ5 with Nordstrands either. I should have tried Wizards back then before selling it.

Yep, I'm on my second set of Wizards - first set went into my FrankenP/J, second set are for my Fortress (which should be interesting). Fantastic pickups. Can't help thinking a pair of 84s in my S1 Jazz might be very interesting indeed...

Funny thing happened last night. I was going through my bag of bits and found my Wizard Thumper. :)

So this means for the past few months ive had a Fender 62RI in my Squier and not the Thumper lol.
I remember putting the Fender in but thought i had taken it out. I must be getting old.

Guess ill have to get the soldering iron out at some point and swap them back, see how the Thumper compares.

• 3 weeks later...
  • 2 weeks later...

[quote name='Muzz' post='1263945' date='Jun 10 2011, 02:07 PM']Yep, I'm on my second set of Wizards - first set went into my FrankenP/J, second set are for my Fortress (which should be interesting). Fantastic pickups. Can't help thinking a pair of 84s in my S1 Jazz might be very interesting indeed...[/quote]

Did you ever stick Wizards in your Fortress? Would be interested to hear the results...

[quote name='Mook' post='1263256' date='Jun 9 2011, 08:54 PM']A while back I got some great advice from the good people of this forum about pickups to replace the stock one's in my Lakland DJ.
I put in the Wizard 84's and I'm a very happy camper. So much more balls and beef that I was looking for and much more character to the sound.
Have to admit I miss a bit of the top end bite I used to get with a pick but I'd get over that for the growl I now get out of the neck PUP.

I am loving my Lakland again!!

just thought I'd share my joy :)[/quote]

I love 84's and 64's initially I gave some 64's a punt as I wanted my late 80's jap jazz to sound like an old jazz I have (This bass is 'the one') they are spot on. Then I wanted to rude a mexi Fender (the club bass) up so I got some '84s in nice very forward authorative sound but without loosing any clarity no mud fantastic. They are half the price of a big name set and just as good or better good stuff

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1294971' date='Jul 6 2011, 05:21 PM']From Wizard themselves, or second hand off here although you might have to wait a bit for a set to come up.[/quote]

£70 quid a set is very good for what they are they are made like the original fender ones were, plus you can flog your old pups to recover some coin

When the bumf says it's a dark thick tone - what exactly does that mean?

I have a Squier CV Jazz and could do with a bit more oomph and definition at times. I play in a salsa band so I want a woody, upright kind of sound - so I've installed flats, but I'm wondering if replacing the stock pups with a pair of Wizard 84s might help.

I can't find any you tube vids of people showing off their new Wizards so I can't tell what difference it might make - I don't want to buy them and find they're the opposite of what I wanted.

[quote name='lanark' post='1310309' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:05 PM']When the bumf says it's a dark thick tone - what exactly does that mean?

I have a Squier CV Jazz and could do with a bit more oomph and definition at times. I play in a salsa band so I want a woody, upright kind of sound - so I've installed flats, but I'm wondering if replacing the stock pups with a pair of Wizard 84s might help.

I can't find any you tube vids of people showing off their new Wizards so I can't tell what difference it might make - I don't want to buy them and find they're the opposite of what I wanted.[/quote]

When i put 84's in my CV Jazz i felt it was a bit too dark. To me this means too much low mid bump and lack of sparkle. I felt i lost some definition in the harmonics. The bass itself is quite warm sounding IMO so this didnt help (the same pups in my HW-one sounded very different).

Have a word with Andy and ask about 74's . These are in the middle of the 84 and 64. Still with a nice low end thump but with more going on up top.

Im also playing weddings/functions etc and i find they work well with this bass.

Edited by dave_bass5

[quote name='lobematt' post='1310380' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:58 PM']Cheers bro, just sent him an email now, the 74s sound like they could be winners, are they the same price as the others?[/quote]

Yes, same price (or at least mine were).

I had the 84's and spoke to Andy about not really liking them and he said send them back and he will post a set of 74's out. All he charged me was a bit of postage to get the new ones out to me, he even had them waiting for me before the 84's had arrived back. Great service.

Right, this thread has again reminded me i still haven't put my Thumper back in my CV P. Ill do that tonight.

[quote name='lobematt' post='1310319' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:13 PM']Thats it I'm going for it! I'm thinkin a set of 84s for my bitza J. I want it to be pretty upfront tone wise, are these the right choice rather than the 64s? It'll be used mainly in wedding band function stuff, kings of leon type stuff...[/quote]

64's are classic J bass sound smooth very detailed warm. I mean like original fender pickups not reissues modern classic whatever they are that good.
84's have more low end extension, they are overwound, more aggressive , they are very responsive to how hard you wack em, top end is rolled off a little but still there, they have a lot of detail though not just deep mud. A great pickup forget your basslines etc these are a notch above

Hammers I have not tried next on the list

I am after some more 84's so if someone buys em and doesn't like em I will buy em for what you paid! But I know you won't ha ha

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1310322' date='Jul 20 2011, 02:16 PM']When i put 74's in my CV Jazz i felt it was a bit too dark. To me this means too much low mid bump and lack of sparkle. I felt i lost some definition in the harmonics. The bass itself is quite warm sounding IMO so this didnt help (the same pups in my HW-one sounded very different).

Have a word with Andy and ask about 74's . These are in the middle of the 84 and 64. Still with a nice low end thump but with more going on up top.

Im also playing weddings/functions etc and i find they work well with this bass.[/quote]

I have the first 74's !! just ask Andy!! They go great in non ex Jap Fenders (they are more like old fenders than new fender USA if you know what I mean they are quite a bright sounding bass) it was an idea we had to get that cut through that you need with the Jazz sometimes. These pickups have been used on a lot of recordings over the last 2 or so years.

Edited by dan670844

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='1310491' date='Jul 20 2011, 04:19 PM']Ive just noticed a typo in my post.

It should have read "When i put [b]84[/b]'s in my CV Jazz i felt it was a bit too dark" and not 74's.[/quote]

Yes I also had a typo bleeding Ipad too clever......

I found that with the 84's too, but they are great for Dubby type choones I sometimes cover and three piece kind of power trio band I am in. They fill out the bottom in the music, they have a big low end wack and loose no definition. I have not found that with any other pickup everything else always goes muddy.