Why become a member? ×

Ken Smith and customer service ?

tournesol74

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1265642' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:07 AM']Wouldn't know, Wayne, don't need to and don't care. I hate boutique basses. Fenders all the way.

Ooops, sorry, Ken :)

Money pit, mate. Pagoda roofs are lovely (though mine wasn't a pagoda roof) while there's a certain seedy charm about the 70's fatties. Whichever, you're looking at a 30-40-ish yr old car, limited expensive parts, 15 to the gallon and a garage hoist to lift the hardtop off. Often clocked and wallow like pigs, too.[/quote]

I know but for golf on a Sunday morning with a bit of Otis Redding on the stereo I can't think of much better.

I do 50K miles in a eurobox every year so a nice change.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265634' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:59 AM']I have been on this now for 4 hours.[/quote]
That's nothing. Give it time, you'll be spending 6 or 7 hours a day here like the rest of us. :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265639' date='Jun 11 2011, 05:04 PM']Used to ship VWs from there when the exchange rate was good, the answer is about $1200 and if it over 25 years 5% duty.[/quote]
Well let me know if you're interested :) Though I have to let you know they've been a mechanics dream over the years, lots of time in the shop.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265650' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:13 AM']Well let me know if you're interested :) Though I have to let you know they've been a mechanics dream over the years, lots of time in the shop.[/quote]

Haha not at this point in my life, I have a bass addiction to fund.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265652' date='Jun 11 2011, 05:14 PM']Haha not at this point in my life, I have a bass addiction to fund.[/quote]
:)

They are fun to drive, I get the same thrill that some would playing a pre CBS Fender. Even though it doesn't compare to a nice new Honda it's a blast to stomp the pedal and feel 8 German pistons going at it.

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265650' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:13 AM']... they've been a mechanics dream over the years, lots of time in the shop.[/quote]
Had mine 6 months. Cost me £15k to buy using the redundo. £4k in bills. Sold it for £12k, with the lowest offer at £8k.

Lovely, but a money pit.

[quote name='paul h' post='1265649' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:13 AM']Apparently Larry Hartke is always up for a friendly chat.[/quote]
Oh, don't I know. Called him once, now I can't get rid of him, how's the wife, how's the weather, what about Ryan Giggs...

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265664' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:23 AM']Was it silver?[/quote]
Hairdresser's silver-blue. I looked like a twat.

Got a comprehensive shag out of it though. Right about the time I handed over the money :)

Edited by skankdelvar

[quote name='skankdelvar' post='1265667' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:29 AM']Hairdresser's silver-blue. I looked like a twat.

Got a comprehensive shag out of it though. Right about the time I handed over the money :)[/quote]

So that's why you walk like that.....

Anyway I've wasted 2 hours on this and I haven't been paid so I'm going to bed.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265634' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:59 AM']Gee, Electronic Shielding Paint. Please read carefully. I have been on this now for 4 hours. Where can I send the Bill!

Lacquer is a has-mat material as well. Anything with solvents. If something breaks or spills and you didn't do it right, expect some type of Government visit at the least.[/quote]

Before I go you first posted at 10 this was posted at 1 that's 3 hours.

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265668' date='Jun 12 2011, 01:32 AM']So that's why you walk like that.....[/quote]
If you put a gullwing on its roof, you aren't walking anywhere.

Well, it's gone half-one in the morning here in the UK, but I'm sure Ken and VGS can keep the topic warm between them while the rest of us sleep. Nighty-night, all.

Mercs? Money Pits.

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265547' date='Jun 11 2011, 11:47 PM']I told you what? I write codes for orders when I do and you didn't know exactly what that code meant (an that's an easy mistake for a customer) then we shipped the right strings. Even IF I sent the wrong strings, calling someone stupid or idiot is not something that went down. Also, when was this? When was I last at a NAMM show? What did you have for breakfast that day? Exactly!.. lol[/quote]

[quote name='Vibrating G String' post='1265599' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:29 AM']You hand wrote the order yourself at NAMM, I told you the gauges. You sent different gauges to what you wrote on the order. You then called me "stupid" and agued I was better off with the mistakes you sent me because what I chose was unbalanced even though it was a set you sold with your name on them. This is another example of you not standing behind what you make and sell. After yelling at me for a while you did send me the proper strings in the gauges you wrote on the original invoice.

I have no idea what I had for breakfast that day but we often hit McDonalds on the way to NAMM, what did you have that day? I do know what you personally wrote on the invoice and so did you as when you finally calmed down you corrected your mistake. You never apologized for calling me stupid or yelling so loud at me on the phone my wife overheard it and asked who the F that was.[/quote]

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265622' date='Jun 12 2011, 12:48 AM'].. lol.. you ate at McDonalds?.ooooo Ok, Well, no I didn't eat there. I had regular fresh made food I am sure at some sit down restaurant or coffee shop.

I'm sorry your order got messed up. I might have argued my point on the gauges but unless I see the handwritten paper, I don't know what happened. Say hi to the wife for me.[/quote]

:) :)

[quote name='waynepunkdude' post='1265669' date='Jun 11 2011, 08:36 PM']Before I go you first posted at 10 this was posted at 1 that's 3 hours.[/quote]

lol. You just wont let it rest..

I had to read 6 pages first and then sign in. That was the 4th hour which includes time to go back and read all those emails. Hey. am I on trial here Sherlock?

Ken, Thanks for signing up and setting the record straight on a few things.

I think what's important here is that we identify the fact that Ken has done nothing wrong. He runs his business in a way that he believes to be fair, reasonable & honest. His prices are based on demand and manufacturing costs whilst making adequate profit to sustain the business - this is no different from any other successful company in the world.

Now before anyone yells at me disagreeing with this statement, I think it's also fair to say that as the business has sold over 6000 basses and is still going strong, Ken should have little reason to believe that anything is 'going wrong'. Indeed I'm sure if you read every post on Basschat referencing Ken Smith basses you would find 100 'Ken Smith Basses are amazing/gorgeous/stunning/the best in the world' for every 1 post complaining about customer service. I would suggest that Ken's customer service is based on 6000-odd happy customers whom we don't hear from, as opposed to the few that we do. I have never visited the Ken Smith forums but I would be happy to put money on it being full of people like us who think Ken's customer service is stunning.

From this hopefully we can learn, that like every human, and every company, sometimes you can get things wrong. Maybe Ken shouldn't have quoted the huge UPS price UNTIL he had the USPS price as well, maybe he should have chosen better words when dealing with customers at times etc etc… I'm sure Ken will go away from this now with some negative feedback to stack up against the thousands of happy customers and hopefully use it to his advantage to highlight the areas that a small percentage of people feel he gets wrong.

Ken, would you say this is true/fair?

At the same time, Basschat is a community and news travels fast. We do see positive feedback voiced here, but let's be honest - it's the negatives that we see and remember. It’s apparent that a couple of posters here including the OP felt the customer service was a real let down. Ken has explained his actions to date and also tried to rectify and explain each case post by post. Hopefully as a community we can attempt to 'wipe the slate clean' and take a view on Mr Smith's customer service from this point forwards. Ken has already declared that he now handles all emails and communication and takes the comments here seriously, so that paired with our feedback should mean a renewed level of customer service to match the absolutely stunning instruments!

I for one would like to see Mr Smith welcomed on Basschat after any 'bad air' has settled as I KNOW he has a huge wealth of information to bring to the table. There was some discussion over Dingwalls a while back, after Sheldon joined us and cleared up a few misconceptions. His posts were informative and he answered questions in a way you'd hope an expert would.

Ken, I for one would like you to prove us wrong; going forwards and pop back from time to time (when business permits) as I'm sure many would find your input to discussions here very welcome.

Shep

P.S. Its 2.49am, I've been gigging and my eyes are so tired I can hardly keep them open - as such please let me off any shocking typos and grammatical errors! :)

Edited by Hamster
shocking typos and grammatical errors.........

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1265692' date='Jun 12 2011, 02:49 AM']I for one would like to see Mr Smith welcomed on basschat after any 'bad air' has settled as I KNOW he has a huge wealth of information to bring to the table. There was some discussion over Dingwall's a while back, after Sheldon joined us and cleared up a few misconceptions. [b]His posts were informative and he answered questions in a way you'd hope an expert would.[/b]

Ken, I for one would like you to prove us wrong going forwards and pop back from time to time (when business permits) as I'm sure many would find your input to discussions here very welcome.[/quote]

Seconded. :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1265692' date='Jun 11 2011, 09:49 PM']Ken, Thanks for signing up and setting the record straight on a few things.

I think whats important here is that we identify the fact that Kan has done nothing wrong. He runs his business in a way that he believes to be fair, reasonable & honest. His prices are based on demand and manufacturing costs whilst making adequate profit to sustain the business - This is no different any other successful company in the world.

Now before anyone yells at me disagreeing with this statement, I think its also fair to say that as the business has sold over 6000 basses and is still going strong, Ken should have little reason to beleive that anything is 'going wrong'. Indeed I'm sure if you read every post on Basschat referencing Ken Smith basses you would find 100 'Ken Smith Basses are amazing/gorgeous/stunning/the best in the world' for ever 1 post complaining about customer service. I would suggest that Kens customer service is based on 6000 odd happy customers whom we don't hear from, as opposed to the few that we do. I have never visited the Ken Smith forums but I would be happy to put money on it being full of people like us who think Ken's customer service is stunning.

From this hopefully we can learn, that like every human, and every company, sometimes you can get things wrong. Maybe Ken shouldn't of quoted the huge UPS price UNTIL he had the USPS price as well, maybe he should of chosen better words when dealing with customers at times etc etc… I'm sure Ken will go away from this now with some negative feedback to stack up against the thousands of happy customers and hopefully use it to his advantage to highlight the areas that a small percentage of people feels he gets wrong.

At the same time, basschat is a community and news travels fast. We do see positive feedback voiced here, but lets be honest, its the negatives that we see and remember. Its apparent that a couple of posters here including the OP felt the customer service was a real let down. Ken has explained his actions to date and also tried to rectify and explain each case post by post. Hopefully as a community we can attempt to 'wipe the slate clean' and take a view on Mr Smiths customer service from this point forwards. Ken has already declared that he now handles all emails and communication and takes the comments here seriously, so that paired with our feedback should mean a renewed level of customer service to match the absolutely stunning instruments!

I for one would like to see Mr Smith welcomed on basschat after any 'bad air' has settled as I KNOW he has a huge wealth of information to bring to the table. There was some discussion over Dingwall's a while back, after Sheldon joined us and cleared up a few misconceptions. His posts were informative and he answered questions in a way you'd hope an expert would.

Ken, I for one would like you to prove us wrong going forwards and pop back from time to time (when business permits) as I'm sure many would find your input to discussions here very welcome.

Shep

P.S. Its 2.49am, I've been gigging and my eyes are so tired I can hardly keep them open - as such please let me off any shocking typos and grammatical errors! :)[/quote]

Nicely said and thanks for all the complements as well. I am still working my way around this Forum. Things here look different as compared to the Talkbass forum software as well as my own Form. But then again, your guys are English and drive on the Wrong side of the road, right?.. lol

As far as that one comment about waiting to get all the costs and not just the UPS at first, my goal was to answer him right away as he did have a problem and seemed concerned. I also said that Postal would be half or less than UPS. That $100 UPS number put him in shock and blinded him from the get go.

I will be glad to answer questions when I can but from what I see here, all I need to do is add Twitter to my contact list and I can change my profession on my tax return as 'Typist' :)

[quote name='Ken Smith' post='1265704' date='Jun 12 2011, 03:35 AM']As far as that one comment about waiting to get all the costs and not just the UPS at first, my goal was to answer him right away as he did have a problem and seemed concerned. I also said that Postal would be half or less than UPS. That $100 UPS number put him in shock and blinded him from the get go.[/quote]

I guess in this instance, less haste would of been the preferred option. Thats the point though I think... You can't please everyone. While the OP may be upset, and I prob would be to at first, you felt you met the requirment of the customers enquiry, and even if the customer isn't satisfied, sometimes that's as much as you can do.

[quote]I will be glad to answer questions when I can but from what I see here, all I need to do is add Twitter to my contact list and I can change my profession on my tax return as 'Typist' :)[/quote]

Don't worry... We don't expect to see you on here everyday. That said we all work full time and can't leave the bloody place alone, so I'll se you tomorrow! Night. :)

[quote name='pantherairsoft' post='1265692' date='Jun 12 2011, 02:49 AM']Ken, Thanks for signing up and setting the record straight on a few things.

I think whats important here is that we identify the fact that Kan has done nothing wrong. He runs his business in a way that he believes to be fair, reasonable & honest. His prices are based on demand and manufacturing costs whilst making adequate profit to sustain the business - This is no different any other successful company in the world.

Now before anyone yells at me disagreeing with this statement, I think its also fair to say that as the business has sold over 6000 basses and is still going strong, Ken should have little reason to beleive that anything is 'going wrong'. Indeed I'm sure if you read every post on Basschat referencing Ken Smith basses you would find 100 'Ken Smith Basses are amazing/gorgeous/stunning/the best in the world' for ever 1 post complaining about customer service. I would suggest that Kens customer service is based on 6000 odd happy customers whom we don't hear from, as opposed to the few that we do. I have never visited the Ken Smith forums but I would be happy to put money on it being full of people like us who think Ken's customer service is stunning.

From this hopefully we can learn, that like every human, and every company, sometimes you can get things wrong. Maybe Ken shouldn't of quoted the huge UPS price UNTIL he had the USPS price as well, maybe he should of chosen better words when dealing with customers at times etc etc… I'm sure Ken will go away from this now with some negative feedback to stack up against the thousands of happy customers and hopefully use it to his advantage to highlight the areas that a small percentage of people feels he gets wrong.

At the same time, basschat is a community and news travels fast. We do see positive feedback voiced here, but lets be honest, its the negatives that we see and remember. Its apparent that a couple of posters here including the OP felt the customer service was a real let down. Ken has explained his actions to date and also tried to rectify and explain each case post by post. Hopefully as a community we can attempt to 'wipe the slate clean' and take a view on Mr Smiths customer service from this point forwards. Ken has already declared that he now handles all emails and communication and takes the comments here seriously, so that paired with our feedback should mean a renewed level of customer service to match the absolutely stunning instruments!

I for one would like to see Mr Smith welcomed on basschat after any 'bad air' has settled as I KNOW he has a huge wealth of information to bring to the table. There was some discussion over Dingwall's a while back, after Sheldon joined us and cleared up a few misconceptions. His posts were informative and he answered questions in a way you'd hope an expert would.

Ken, I for one would like you to prove us wrong going forwards and pop back from time to time (when business permits) as I'm sure many would find your input to discussions here very welcome.

Shep

P.S. Its 2.49am, I've been gigging and my eyes are so tired I can hardly keep them open - as such please let me off any shocking typos and grammatical errors! :)[/quote]

Well I've seen nothing in his attitude that would change my mind about buying anything from him, I have found him both rude and arrogant.

I wouldn't buy anything from Dingwall due to taste but from Sheldon's posts, if I did like his basses I'm sure it'd be a pleasure doing business with him.