Why become a member? ×

Dream Theatre

TMB

[quote name='Maverick' post='1262505' date='Jun 9 2011, 12:08 PM']Myung talks bollocks?[/quote]

Listen to the first 20 seconds of this and tell me he doesn't!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJ2zbGmMAI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJ2zbGmMAI...feature=related[/url]

Edited by Conan

[quote name='toneknob' post='1262713' date='Jun 9 2011, 02:14 PM']Hmm... Good point, I suppose. I saw Rush too, and got more than my money's worth (from the second row of Block A2 in front of Geddy). For a weekend ticket, and if showtime scheduling allows, I'd get Slash, Caravan, Von Hertzen Bros on Saturday; Curved Air, Tull and BCC on Sunday. I'm considering it now - I'll see what happens when show timing is announced.[/quote]
I'm happy to give the whole Saturday a miss, just not enough there for me. Never a big Priest fan, Lizzy have been little more than a tribute act since reforming and on the prog stage there's really only Caravan I'd be bothered about. I think Spock's Beard were better with Neal Morse present but I find his solo stuff a bit dreary irrespective of the overtly religious content. So on balance I'd rather see SB without Morse on the Sunday than the man himself on the Sat. BJH don't really grab me much, looks suspiciously 'almost tribute' as Lizzy on the face of it. Not familiar with Von Hertzen Bros so maybe I'm missing something there but won't lose sleep over it, for me [i]personally[/i] Sunday wins hands down. For Sun I think gates open 12pm and rumour was that The Enid (2nd on bill at prog stage) would be on around 2pm so guessing first bands around 12:30-1pm? Curfews are 11pm Sat and 10:30pm Sun

Edited by KevB

[quote name='KevB' post='1262795' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:16 PM']I'm happy to give the whole Saturday a miss, just not enough there for me. Never a big Priest fan, Lizzy have been little more than a tribute act since reforming and on the prog stage there's really only Caravan I'd be bothered about. I think Spock's Beard were better with Neal Morse present but I find his solo stuff a bit dreary irrespective of the overtly religious content. So on balance I'd rather see SB without Morse on the Sunday than the man himself on the Sat. BJH don't really grab me much, looks suspiciously 'almost tribute' as Lizzy on the face of it. Not familiar with Von Hertzen Bros so maybe I'm missing something there but won't lose sleep over it, for me [i]personally[/i] Sunday wins hands down. For Sun I think gates open 12pm and rumour was that The Enid (2nd on bill at prog stage) would be on around 2pm so guessing first bands around 12:30-1pm? Curfews are 11pm Sat and 10:30pm Sun[/quote]

Caravan will be a struggle for me: while they're one of my favourite prog acts, there's not really enough of them to call it Caravan apart from the songs they sign. Even Doug Boyle's jumped ship these days, and he really made a difference. The songs themselves and Geoff Richardson on hedge clippers might win the day though.

Agree with you re Lizzy.

VHBros are great - I've only heard one album but it's good stuff: look for their single "Miracle" on youtube.

[quote name='Conan' post='1262771' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:00 PM']Listen to the first 20 seconds of this and tell me he doesn't!

[url="http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJ2zbGmMAI&feature=related"]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EVJ2zbGmMAI...feature=related[/url][/quote]

I'm not saying that he [i]never[/i] talks bollocks, I'm just surprised anyone would pick him out as the worst bollock-talker of the band.

I could listen to the first part of a Change of Seasons (great riff) but after that it goes down hill. I don't think there are many DT songs I would choose to listen to.

On another note, yes, Portnoy's vocals were awful. I think was indicative of his bloated ego though, that he thought he was so important they should let him sing with his awful voice! But Ruddess has been the main downfall of the band for me. Yes, technically he is a wizard but his playing just sounds dreadful and his tone is terrible too. Sadly his ego is the biggest problem, as he constantly wants to compete with Petrucci to be the centre of attention. I'm not Petrucci fan, but he is far better to listen to than Ruddess and his dire long winded solos.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1262835' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:59 PM']On another note, yes, Portnoy's vocals were awful. I think was indicative of his bloated ego though, that he thought he was so important they should let him sing with his awful voice! But Ruddess has been the main downfall of the band for me. Yes, technically he is a wizard but his playing just sounds dreadful and his tone is terrible too. Sadly his ego is the biggest problem, as he constantly wants to compete with Petrucci to be the centre of attention. I'm not Petrucci fan, but he is far better to listen to than Ruddess and his dire long winded solos.[/quote]

Spot on.

[quote name='Chris2112' post='1261556' date='Jun 8 2011, 06:10 PM']That was pretty crap as well to be honest, plenty of aimless noodling but played to a small audience than Dream Theater would entertain.[/quote]

mike keneally being referred to as crap ? oh well first time for everything i guess :)

Lol! I really love DT, everything they have ever done. Especially with Jordan in the band. Gotta laugh at some of the above ^ comments about him. Everyone entitled to their opinion, but there is just no way you can criticise his talent, just no way! I have seen them live countless times and he is a truly amazing musician. :)

[quote name='bottlebassman' post='1263000' date='Jun 9 2011, 05:58 PM']Lol! I really love DT, everything they have ever done. Especially with Jordan in the band. Gotta laugh at some of the above ^ comments about him. Everyone entitled to their opinion, but there is just no way you can criticise his talent, just no way! I have seen them live countless times and he is a truly amazing musician. :)[/quote]

No one's questioned his technical ability on his instrument, the guy is clearly a virtuoso. But, as a member of the band I don't rate his contributions to their music post Six Degrees much.

[quote name='Maverick' post='1262814' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:35 PM']I'm not saying that he [i]never[/i] talks bollocks, I'm just surprised anyone would pick him out as the worst bollock-talker of the band.[/quote]

I'll concede that! :)

[quote name='toneknob' post='1262813' date='Jun 9 2011, 03:35 PM']Caravan will be a struggle for me: while they're one of my favourite prog acts, there's not really enough of them to call it Caravan apart from the songs they sign. Even Doug Boyle's jumped ship these days, and he really made a difference. The songs themselves and Geoff Richardson on hedge clippers might win the day though.

Agree with you re Lizzy.

VHBros are great - I've only heard one album but it's good stuff: look for their single "Miracle" on youtube.[/quote]

Well it's official, tickets are booked so me and a mate are coming down the smoke to take in Sunday's High Volt Fest. We'll probably be snoozing in a beer tent somewhere by early evening...

Mike Mangini is in just to fill in it feels like to me, i mean John Petrucci wrote all the drum parts, and In the auditions he seemed the only one who played exactly like Portnoy did...

and whats wrong with that Myung clip minus where he says "There is a bass solo in a song called metropolis where i do a bass solo" though being a nervous speaker i know where he is coming from i've said worse :)

[quote name='bottlebassman' post='1263000' date='Jun 9 2011, 05:58 PM']Lol! I really love DT, everything they have ever done. Especially with Jordan in the band. Gotta laugh at some of the above ^ comments about him. Everyone entitled to their opinion, but there is just no way you can criticise his talent, just no way! I have seen them live countless times and he is a truly amazing musician. :)[/quote]
]

He is 'talented', in as much as he has a working knowledge of the piano and clearly knows his theory. But his actual 'voice' on the instrument is dire, and his ego controls his playing. I think this is something echoed by a lot of DT fans. They love Petrucci's pyrotechnics but they aren't willing to entertain Ruddess and his awful soloing. He really is a monster out of control in that band. They were much better with a keys player like Derek who added colour and showed restraint instead of endlessly trampling over everything the band was trying to create.

I don't think I agree re Jordan, I actually think the lines he puts down are usually perfect for the song, although they can stray into ridiculous at times I still feel they fit. Albums like octavarium are pretty much made what they are by him and him compliments black clouds well without going mad. Systematic chaos was a bit mad but its in the name.

The guys got a Huge space he has to fill between myung and petrucci and I think he does the part justice. I also don't really see his ego, I think maybe he's a little bit mad but mostly getting into it and having a good time.

Finally re mangini the guy played incredibly during his audition and it obviously meant a lot to him, seemed dream theater took it equally as serious so hopefully he's more than a fill in. He doesn't really play the same as portnoy anyway.

Count me interested for the next album, anyone have any dates for release yet?

[quote name='charic' post='1269574' date='Jun 15 2011, 06:02 AM']. He doesn't really play the same as portnoy anyway.[/quote]

No.....Mangini is a far better player.

I'm not a big Dream Theater fan at all-I think there is some good stuff and a lot of crap-but I'm interested to hear what Mangini will be doing with them.

[quote name='charic' post='1269574' date='Jun 15 2011, 06:02 AM']I don't think I agree re Jordan, I actually think the lines he puts down are usually perfect for the song, although they can stray into ridiculous at times I still feel they fit. Albums like octavarium are pretty much made what they are by him and him compliments black clouds well without going mad. Systematic chaos was a bit mad but its in the name.

The guys got a Huge space he has to fill between myung and petrucci and I think he does the part justice. I also don't really see his ego, I think maybe he's a little bit mad but mostly getting into it and having a good time.

Finally re mangini the guy played incredibly during his audition and it obviously meant a lot to him, seemed dream theater took it equally as serious so hopefully he's more than a fill in. He doesn't really play the same as portnoy anyway.

Count me interested for the next album, anyone have any dates for release yet?[/quote]

13th September (MY BIRTHDAY :) ) haha,

Though as i said, we won't see a huge amount from Mangini (IMHO) as he hasn't written any of the drum parts, as they were written by Petrucci