Why become a member? ×

Feedback for Jakester

EskimoBassist

• 10 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 2 weeks later...
  • 4 weeks later...

Unfortunately I have to leave bad feedback here .

I traded a Gallien amp for a Jazz bass. When it arrived I took it out and looked at it and it seemed pretty much as described. Then something changed which meant that I needed something slightly different so I listed it for sale on here.

The bass was described as having had a fret dress and being set up prior to me receiving it so I had no reason to doubt this at the time.

When I went to check it to make sure everything was OK I discovered an annoying fret buzz located only on the 5th fret on the D string. I asked on here what it could be and was told what I thought all along - that it was a slightly raised section of fret.

I asked Jake if he had noticed anything before and was told that everything was fine prior to sending it to me. I replied again, asking if he could be honest with me as I wanted to make sure that this had definitely had the fret dress that he claimed to have had done and had been set up before sending it to me.

I was accused of 'manufacturing' a fault with the bass just because I had decided to sell it so soon after receiving it and that I was looking for some kind of refund when in reality all I wanted was to isolate the problem so that I could fix it. I was accused of being fussy about set up but in reality I set up every bass that I buy but this is the first time I have had to level the frets after being told that they had already been done

The bass did look as described but the frets had not been dressed or levelled at all and the whole bass looked as if it had just been assembled that morning and then posted to me as the bridge saddles had clearly not been adjusted for intonation and the strings were so close to the fretboard to make the bass unplayable when I received it and I was the one accused of being 'fussy'

Jake does have good feedback on here but I would suggest that if you ever buy a bass from him, make sure you try it first. Its not nice being accused of creating imaginary faults and being fussy when there was clearly something wrong with the bass.

Edited by Delberthot

• 3 months later...

[quote name='Delberthot' timestamp='1350664501' post='1842058']
Unfortunately I have to leave bad feedback here .

I traded a Gallien amp for a Jazz bass. When it arrived I took it out and looked at it and it seemed pretty much as described. Then something changed which meant that I needed something slightly different so I listed it for sale on here.

The bass was described as having had a fret dress and being set up prior to me receiving it so I had no reason to doubt this at the time.

When I went to check it to make sure everything was OK I discovered an annoying fret buzz located only on the 5th fret on the D string. I asked on here what it could be and was told what I thought all along - that it was a slightly raised section of fret.

I asked Jake if he had noticed anything before and was told that everything was fine prior to sending it to me. I replied again, asking if he could be honest with me as I wanted to make sure that this had definitely had the fret dress that he claimed to have had done and had been set up before sending it to me.

I was accused of 'manufacturing' a fault with the bass just because I had decided to sell it so soon after receiving it and that I was looking for some kind of refund when in reality all I wanted was to isolate the problem so that I could fix it. I was accused of being fussy about set up but in reality I set up every bass that I buy but this is the first time I have had to level the frets after being told that they had already been done

The bass did look as described but the frets had not been dressed or levelled at all and the whole bass looked as if it had just been assembled that morning and then posted to me as the bridge saddles had clearly not been adjusted for intonation and the strings were so close to the fretboard to make the bass unplayable when I received it and I was the one accused of being 'fussy'

Jake does have good feedback on here but I would suggest that if you ever buy a bass from him, make sure you try it first. Its not nice being accused of creating imaginary faults and being fussy when there was clearly something wrong with the bass.
[/quote]

I've only just seen this, because as a consequence of this deeply frustrating transaction I felt very much disillusioned with this site and haven't posted much since then.

That post provides a very one-sided version of events indeed.

The bass for sale was this:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/184643-traded-fender-geddy-jazz-whipshot-l325ono/page__p__1784415#entry1784415

In fact, the 'mirror image' bass went up for sale shortly afterwards:

http://basschat.co.uk/topic/159316-soldfender-jazz-with-geddy-lee-neck-really-cool-basssold/page__hl__geddy

I'd bought my bass from Bassybill some time ago.

Delberthot received the bass and told me everything was fine.

I then got a message saying something was wrong with the fretboard. It wasn't something I'd ever experienced, but very quickly the tone of his messages degenerated and I found myself having been accused of selling a 'parts bass' I'd just cobbled together without any reference to how it was set up. Delberthot accused me of selling it without even playing it, and told me it was 'unplayable'.

Since it had been my main bass for over three years and played regularly, I couldn't see how that could be the case. I was very open that it had been put together from a Geddy body and a Mex neck when I bought it, but rather than try and engage in some constructive dialogue I was accused of attempting to defraud the guy.

It culminated in him blocking messages from me so I wasn't ever able to resolve whatever issues he may have had.

It was a deeply unedifying experience and left a very bad taste in my mouth. I find it frustrating that rather than try and resolve the matter, he's chosen to bad-mouth me here, but hey, that's the internet -you can say what you like from behind a keyboard.

I shall be more cautious about who I deal with in the future. At least Delberthot is right in one respect - in future I think I'll only sell things to people that have the opportunity to try them in the flesh.

• 2 months later...

Well to bring Jake's feedback up to date and back on track, I just brokered a deal with Jake involving me swapping my fretless P bass for his G&L L-2500.

His brother kindly acted as courier and delivered the bass this morning. Everything seems to be exactly as described and although I haven't had a chance to plug it in yet I'm very happy.

It's my first foray in to G&L basses and I must say if they are all of this quality, what on earth have I been missing out on all these years!

Jake's communications were excellent throughout the deal and the bass is great.

I'd have no hesitation in dealing with him again :)

• 2 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 6 months later...
  • 3 weeks later...

Just bought GK Neo 212 from Jake. Great Guy to deal with, was even prepared to drop at my daughters, a bit out of his way.
The cab was exactly as described, a bit road worn BUT sounds fantastic. A great new alternative to use in my rig.

Nice one Jake. Thanks.

• 5 months later...
  • 2 years later...
  • 1 year later...

@Jakester exemplifies everything good and decent about Basschat. I sold an amp to a BCer based way out East. Neither of us were keen on employing a courier and the drive is not a pleasant one and over long. 

After an appeal for help Jake stepped in and offered to deliver the amp for us. He works not far from me and happened to be travelling towards my buyer not long after the sale was agreed. 

Great communications, helpful and selfless. Top man. 

• 2 months later...
  • 4 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 2 months later...
  • 1 month later...
  • 4 months later...