Why become a member? ×

Tribute to Rick Danko in new novel

jonblake

I was researching a novel about the Isle of Wight festival in 1969 (UK's first great rockfest, for the uninitiated) when I came across a guy who had got underneath the stage when The Band were rehearsing: a memorable experience which impressed upon him how great those musicians were. I made use of his experience in the climactic scene of the novel, where Rick Danko unwittingly plays a major role. Rick's sad death also gets a mention at the end of the book. How great a bass player was he? Even those who doubt his technical ability seem to agree he had something rare. Hope the book will serve at least as a small memento. Extracts can be found at [url="http://dylan69.com"]http://dylan69.com[/url] .

Thanks for this Jon. The influence of The Band was massive, and continues to be so. Danko, like most of The Band, was a talented multi-instrumentalist who just happened to be playing the bass on most of their songs. I've kept up with Levon Helm's career, still great. Robbie Robertson less so. Don't really know what happened to Garth Hudson.
I've always thought that one of the many interesting things about them was their backgrounds. Although they sounded and looked like a southern USA outfit, they were all, bar Helm, Canadians.
Well Jon, your book extract has made me dig out 'The Big Pink' again for a listen. Thanks!

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1259688' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:55 PM']Well Jon, your book extract has made me dig out 'The Big Pink' again for a listen. Thanks![/quote]

That's great, Len, although I was hoping it would inspire people to dig out my book!

[quote name='Len_derby' post='1259688' date='Jun 7 2011, 01:55 PM']Don't really know what happened to Garth Hudson.[/quote]
You mean 'my mate' Garth? :)

He's still active, doing guest spots and sessions. I'm not sure why he doesn't do more with Levon. It's a bit of a mystery.

Edited by wateroftyne

[quote name='jonblake' post='1260129' date='Jun 7 2011, 07:28 PM']That's great, Len, although I was hoping it would inspire people to dig out my book![/quote]

I will, I will! It's just that the CD was already in the house!

WaterofTyne - thanks for the picture of you and your mate Garth. He doesn't look a day older - still looks 97.
Yes, it's a shame he doesn't do much with Levon anymore. That man drums like no one else I've ever heard, but it always sounds so right.

The Band were magnificent. I have some footage of Danko playing "Unfaithful Servant" on acoustic guitar, spine chilling.
Garth is God. I have Classic Albums, the band on video. I have rewound the sections where Garth is interviewed countless times.

WoT, I'm not sure which of those lovely ladies is your missus :) but I would defo have a cropped picture of just me and Garth had I had such pleasure in meeting the great man himself.

The Last Waltz is a must watch.

I look forward to reading through the links.

Thanks for posting :)

[quote name='Mr Fudge' post='1260210' date='Jun 7 2011, 08:23 PM']meant "when you awake"

[/quote]
Unfaithful Servant is on the same DVD (Classic Albums).

Even when Poor 'Ol Rick was a physical mess, he could still sing like an angel and play like a demon...

Ok, here's a short extract from the novel which isn't at [url="http://dylan69.com"]http://dylan69.com[/url] and features the two main characters under the stage as The Band perform:

Every aspect of the Band's masterful musicianship was amplified in Scott and Jayne's magic cavern: the thumping union of bass and drums, the orchestral swirl of the Leslie, the joyful duel of piano and guitar.
“It's my dream!” exclaimed Jayne, with a gleeful grin. “I'm under Rick Danko”
Scott bridled. “He's not that good-looking” he replied.
“Oh shut up, Scott, he's beautiful!” countered Jayne. “Stop being so competitive”
Confident they were safe and alone, Jayne sank to her knees, tipped back her head and savoured her good fortune. Inevitably she had a little something prepared for such a situation.
“Fancy a J, Scott?” she asked, flourishing a spliff every bit as well constructed as the stage above.
“Is it cut with a mandy?” asked Scott.
“Don't worry, babe” replied Jayne. “I don't want to cripple you”.
Scott was hugely pleased. No girl or woman had ever called him 'babe'. It was as if they were already a couple.
Jayne lit up, drew deep, then exhaled upwards past her nose. “Good sh*t” she murmured, and as if in reply, Rick Danko's soulful waver announced the beginning of Long Black Veil, a meandering country tale perfectly suited to the absorption of the sacred weed.