Why become a member? ×

Combo Advice Please....

eude

I'm looking to get a lightweight kickback style Combo to replace my big Trace Combo.
Found recently when gigging in small venues that I can barely hear myself when stood near my amp, although I'm deafening people at the other end of the room! Plus my back is really hating moving the combo by myself!
I've since played through a Hartke Kickback 10" and was blown away at how clear the sound was, and how portable the unit was, although it didn't quite cut it for me volume wise.

So basically I'm looking for is >>

Lightweight - very important
About 150W should be enough
12" speaker or a s**t hot 10", maybe a tweeter too
Kickback design
Line out for PA connection
About £300ish

Currently I'm pretty much set on a Fender Bassman 150, heard good things about all the Bassman range since Fender acquired SWR.
Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Eude

Everything I can think of that price range seems to be with different speaker configurations. Which I guess defeats the object of lightweight somewhat.

I can think of a couple Laney combos that are 15" (might be a good thing because as much as I love the sound, they are quiet for their ratings IMO).

Other than that, theres maybe the Ashdown Electric Blue (totally different to the Hartke, but maybe a little more like your Trace Elliot) or youre spending a lot more money.

Ill let you know if I think of anything perfect.

[quote name='eude' post='14232' date='Jun 8 2007, 03:19 PM']I'm looking to get a lightweight kickback style Combo to replace my big Trace Combo.
Found recently when gigging in small venues that I can barely hear myself when stood near my amp, although I'm deafening people at the other end of the room! Plus my back is really hating moving the combo by myself!
I've since played through a Hartke Kickback 10" and was blown away at how clear the sound was, and how portable the unit was, although it didn't quite cut it for me volume wise.

So basically I'm looking for is >>

Lightweight - very important
About 150W should be enough
12" speaker or a s**t hot 10", maybe a tweeter too
Kickback design
Line out for PA connection
About £300ish

Currently I'm pretty much set on a Fender Bassman 150, heard good things about all the Bassman range since Fender acquired SWR.
Any suggestions/advice would be greatly appreciated.

Cheers,
Eude[/quote]

How much is the Hartke Kickback 12" and what wattage (compared with the 10)? That's not too bad from my experience.

EDIT - er, my experience clearly being quite limited or I'd know those questions. But I do know I liked the sounds it produced!!

Edited by Merton

[quote name='Jack' post='14255' date='Jun 8 2007, 04:36 PM']Everything I can think of that price range seems to be with different speaker configurations. Which I guess defeats the object of lightweight somewhat.

I can think of a couple Laney combos that are 15" (might be a good thing because as much as I love the sound, they are quiet for their ratings IMO).

Other than that, theres maybe the Ashdown Electric Blue (totally different to the Hartke, but maybe a little more like your Trace Elliot) or youre spending a lot more money.

Ill let you know if I think of anything perfect.[/quote]

Cheers man.
I'm not too fussed about having that exact speaker config, it's more to do with the weight though.
I'll check out what Laney have got though.

Eude

[quote name='Merton' post='14269' date='Jun 8 2007, 04:51 PM']How much is the Hartke Kickback 12" and what wattage (compared with the 10)? That's not too bad from my experience.

EDIT - er, my experience clearly being quite limited or I'd know those questions. But I do know I liked the sounds it produced!![/quote]

Hey man,
The Hartke Kickback 12 is 120W which I could live with that, it's also a bit cheaper than the Fender at about £279, but...
The Fender has a lot over it specwise >>[list]
[*]It's 30W louder
[*]It's got a tweeter
[*]It's lighter
[*]It's got 2 parametric mid controls in the EQ
[*]It's also got built in compression, which I think I'd miss after moving from my Trace Elliot
[*]It's only £20 more expensive too!
[/list][b]I think I'm already talking myself into it![/b]

Eude