Why become a member? ×

Are we really that nice?

Perry

On here we are all Shiny Happy People.

When I've been to the Bass Centre & Gallery I've had a few chats with other bass players.

Everytime, I go into music shops that cater for all instruments there always seems to be an uncomfortable atmosphere with other bass players. It just doesn't seem as friendly.

Anyone else agree?

I think the ones who're most likey to shop at exclusive bass shops are more likely to be friendly people as they give a big enough sh*t about their choice of instrument to seek out said businesses.

However, I got really riled up just after christmas, was at a local open mic night, a bassist I know from uni got up to play with other people from the society, and the previous bands bassist slagged him off to his own band because he was playing a RHCP line with a pick rather than fingers. Thought that lad was an utter twat to be honest after that so avoided speaking to him.

[quote name='onehappybunny' post='144929' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:00 PM']Couldn't agree more Perry, bass players are the nicest, least egotistical musicians by a long way :huh:[/quote]

I think Perry's suggesting that we're not, at least in guitar shops.

Though last time I was in the Bass Centre the experience didn't exactly put me in a friendly mood. :)

[quote name='Musky' post='144948' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:14 PM']I think Perry's suggesting that we're not, at least in guitar shops.

Though last time I was in the Bass Centre the experience didn't exactly put me in a friendly mood. :)[/quote]

ah, yes... good point... friendly but not very good at reading or paying attention :huh:

It is stange, HairyHatMan came over yesturday to get my (now his) SR and we got on like a house on fire, great guy nice chatting to him! When I g into Fret the staff are friendly and will try to answer any questions even if it means going out of there way....But as soon as I step into soundcontrol the first thing you notice is that those people standing outside having a fag are the assistants, all of them, so good luck trying to find a cable to try a bass, and the fact when you do grab one most likely they're unhelpful and rude doesn't help.

[quote name='cheddatom' post='144957' date='Feb 22 2008, 12:26 PM']Perry - Are you saying that we're all nice on here but when you meet us in the shop we're total c**ts? I can't speak for anyone else, but that's me down to a T![/quote]
Yeah, me too! I'm horrible in real life

[quote name='dave_bass5' post='145052' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:00 PM']i avoid anyone with long hair as i know they will be a guitarist[/quote]
:) Don't say that - I've wasted too much time and money on basses to be told now that I'm playing the wrong instrument! Or do I just need a haircut? :huh: I'm sure my ability is increasing in correlation to the length of my hair...

[quote name='queenofthedepths' post='145083' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:33 PM']:) Don't say that - I've wasted too much time and money on basses to be told now that I'm playing the wrong instrument! Or do I just need a haircut? :huh: I'm sure my ability is increasing in correlation to the length of my hair...[/quote]

Ok, ill rephrase that.
Anyone i see playing a guitar seems to have long hair (and hate and despise me).
still, our wood is normally bigger than theirs so what the hell. ;)

[quote name='alexclaber' post='145107' date='Feb 22 2008, 03:14 PM']Samson?

I find ability is often inversely proportional to strap length.

Alex[/quote]
I think it's actually more to do with the fact that I haven't had a proper haircut since I started playing bass :) I wonder if I change my hairstyle, will I magically master different genres?

Ability is inversely proportional to the square of the deviation from the optimum strap length! Plus or minus the effect of nerve-calming drugs multiplied by the co-efficient of stage fright

...back on topic
I think a lot of bassists are very defensive about their choice of instrument, armed to the teeth with arguments against stupid claims like "you're all just failed guitarists" - this can make them come across as genuinely deluded and bitter about having to be the bassist

[quote name='Machines' post='145057' date='Feb 22 2008, 02:05 PM']Hmm I never see other bassists in shops ! I'm always the only one there..[/quote]

Thats my experience mostly....

I do always get a good reception at my fave shop in Lincoln, when I ask abotu bass stuf they normally go..... "phhooowww there bud, you know a lot more than I do..." I like that. I much prefer them to admit they dont know something than try to BS me...

Not yet met another bass player in there. Yet to go to teh Gallery (must resist :) ) but found the BC a dismal place!

[quote name='alexclaber' post='145107' date='Feb 22 2008, 03:14 PM']Samson?

I find ability is often inversely proportional to strap length.

Alex[/quote]

Is it b****cks!? To be honest especially as a bass player it's just as bad having the strap too high as it is having it too low because if the bass is at nipple height and you're playing fingerstyle it's a great way to get cramp in your right arm since you'll be bending it a lot to get up to the height of the strings.

Edited by EdwardHimself

I don't really go into shops very often but the bass players I encounter teaching or depping to or from, going to gigs, or just knowing them are in the main nice guys. I do think it lends itself to bass to posess certain personal qualities and i think one of them is a level headed easy to get on with attitude.
I'm possibly using my arse to speak with here. just a thought/fart.

Edited by jakesbass

I really like chatting with other bassists usually, but they are still humans, and of course sometimes personalities clash or things become awkward.

generally however i think you will find the kind of thing you speak of is worse between guitarists :) tho i would say this. But us bassists do seem to be, based on my limited experience pretty groovy down to earth people.

peacex

Well I've just got back from the Gallery after having spent the afternoon there. Alex was very helpful as always, and I must have spent about an hour chatting to another bass player about bass playing and music in general. It was the busiest I've ever seen it and yet everyone was friendly and relaxed.
The Gallery - not only an alladin's cave of basses/amps but a cool place to hang out!