Why become a member? ×

EBS HD350 cab connection advice

TonyRamwell

Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice, I am rubbish with the whole impedence thing...
All I know is that in theory if you connect 2 8 Ohm cabs you should get 4 Ohm, I think I'm right.

I have an EBS HD350 head that was running a Hartke 2.5XL 8 Ohm cab. I recently bought another cab the Hartke 115XL also 8 Ohm.
So the question is should I be using the 2 speakon connectors on the head, 1 per cab, to get the best config; or connect a cab to 1 speakon and then use the extension jack on the cab to go speakon -> Cab -> Cab.

Any help here is much appreciated.
Tony

[quote name='TonyRamwell' post='144872' date='Feb 22 2008, 10:43 AM']Hi All,

I'm after a bit of advice, I am rubbish with the whole impedence thing...
All I know is that in theory if you connect 2 8 Ohm cabs you should get 4 Ohm, I think I'm right.

I have an EBS HD350 head that was running a Hartke 2.5XL 8 Ohm cab. I recently bought another cab the Hartke 115XL also 8 Ohm.
So the question is should I be using the 2 speakon connectors on the head, 1 per cab, to get the best config; or connect a cab to 1 speakon and then use the extension jack on the cab to go speakon -> Cab -> Cab.

Any help here is much appreciated.
Tony[/quote]

+1 with using them in parallel ie using one out per cab. this will give you a 4 ohm load with your 8 ohm cabs giving you more power than linking them in series.

fyi, the HD350 will go down to 2 ohms. i'm using two EBS cabs at 4 ohms each in parallel giving the full 2 ohms. think there's a marking above the outputs on the back stating "2-8 ohms" which confirms this.

T

Hi Tony

There's a handy on line calculator at this address if you ever use more cabs of differing impedance:

[url="http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm"]http://www.bcae1.com/spkrmlti.htm[/url]

Nearly all speaker cabs will connect in parallel using standard speaker cables.
It doesn't make any difference to the overall impedance if you connect the cables direct from the amp or cab to cab, unless someone has done a custom wiring job.

The most important thing is to use good quality speaker cables.

I would connect both cabs direct to the amp, it means that you are less likely to damage or lose anything as you'll automatically coil both cables into the back of your amp case when you are packing up.

Edited by dub